an experience trying to buy a Teensy 4.1 from Mouser

maregi5

I find postage costs a bit too harsh for buying a single item from the common electronics distributors, but I managed to find some other components that I needed and a backorderable (headerless) Adafruit Teensy 4.1 from Mouser. (For some reason Mouser doesn't allow exporting the Sparkfun Teensy 4.1 to EU so I couldn't order that one.)

In early December when I made my purchase of a single Teensy, Mouser had 1570 of them on order and estimated delivery in February.
In January it changed to something like only ~125 estimated in February, 500+ in July and 700+ TBD.
In February the other estimates disappeared and the 125 number started going down, maybe some arrived and were delivered to someone - not sure how Mouser's counting works.

Then no updates for a month, until it was marked as Obsolete - Not available.
And then a few days ago I got an email confirming that the item on my order has been cancelled.

I already bought a replacement Teensy from a closer, faster and non-Texas-based shop so I'm happy, but found it a bit weird that they'd just obsolete it like that. Looks like Adafruit just stopped selling them in Mouser?

Oh, that's interesting, others have said that it is OK and saves them money. What problems have you had buying from UK?

UK is not EU. Shippings often get stuck in customs, take forever (weeks) to get processed and you get blackmailed to pay some intransparent additional import tax & investigation+clearance fee.

Also sometimes you have to pick it up in a customs office in another city within 3 days after they finally processed it - otherwise the package gets destroyed or when you are lucky just send back.

Source: painful own experience

Shipments from UK to EU are still ... lets say difficult.

Similar to @StefanPetrick delivery can take long time (in my case > 3 weeks) for delivery from UK to Germany (standard shipping).
In addition to VAT I had also to pay custom handling.

I bought my replacement Teensy 4.1 from BerryBase, too, even though their reviews online didn't seem super positive.

Although not advertised on their shipping costs page, they had a 5,90 euros tracked DHL shipping option which took a bit over a week to arrive to other EU country.
So the total including shipping and VAT was a bit under 45 euros (depends on VAT-% of the destination EU country).

The Teensy came inside an antistatic bag in a bubblewrapped soft paper envelope. Would have been better if they had added some stiffening material to protect it from bending but it did arrive in one piece. The pinout reference card was also included.

Back