TyTools / TyUploader or similar for lockable Teensy ?

rvh

I have a need for end users to be able to update firmware on T4.1 using a simple stand-alone tool like TyTools / TyUploader, and without pressing the reset button (which isn't accessible).

Unfortunately I've read that this tool won't work for lockable teensy 4.1 ehex files, and that only the teensyloader tool can load those, but that would seem to require a reset press.

Are there any other solutions, or will I need to forego the lockable version ?

I have a need for end users to be able to update firmware on T4.1 using a simple stand-alone tool like TyTools / TyUploader, and without pressing the reset button (which isn't accessible).

Unfortunately I've read that this tool won't work for lockable teensy 4.1 ehex files, and that only the teensyloader tool can load those, but that would seem to require a reset press.

Are there any other solutions, or will I need to forego the lockable version ?

@rvh:

See if <this recent link> addresses the answer to your questions . . . from your comments, you're concerned about using a lockable T4.1, but you didn't say whether you plan on locking it for sure or not.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

@rvh:

See if <this recent link> addresses the answer to your questions . . . from your comments, you're concerned about using a lockable T4.1, but you didn't say whether you plan on locking it for sure or not.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Yes the T4.1 would be locked, so using ehex not hex files. I'm looking for a way to allow an end-user update the firmware in a locked T4.1 using a simple stand-alone program like TyUploader, without having to press the reset button or install the IDE.

Unfortunately TyUploader appears not to be able to load ehex files, and the TeensyLoader requires a reset press or else more complex operations not well suited to an end user.

Somewhat related to this question, is lockable Teensy more vulnerable to being bricked regardless of whether it has a key programmed? Is it the key fuse map itself that is prone to being overwritten by a user program? And how likely is that, i.e. what sort of user code would be required to cause that? Thanks.

From Beta and Casual use with lockable T_4.x's since before release - and given the Beta units are on my desk (Only T_4.1's all four lockable/locked - only other is a T_4.0 not lockable chosen as I needed battery pins)

So using those Beta and release Lockable T_4.x's none have ever bricked in use. I did brick one in Beta when the locking code would allow double Over-write of the Key bits before locking - but then PJRC fixed that when reported.

As long as the Security steps are followed and the PEM.key file is preserved as needed to build the .eHex - they are as unbrickable as standard Teensy in use here.

Today seems Eleven uploads to T_4.1 "using encrypted ehex (required - secure mode is locked)"

Programatic non-Button Upload:
> This would require shipping both TyCommander and Teensy.exe Loader - but seems it would work::
- open Teensy.exe and load the .eHex (perhaps use the Arduino notification line to point to the file from a script?)
- Open TyCommander and see the Teensy online and select it and press the GUI 'Bootloader' button
-- Perhaps a script could use this --delegate line to offer a pop up dialog for the Teensy to program: "TyCommanderC.exe" upload --autostart --wait --delegate "%sketchname%.hex" )
- When the Teensy restarts the Teensy.exe will be compelled to upload the .eHex file.

If there is a custom program:
With Teensy.exe online as noted knowing where the .eHex is the program just needs to use code to set baud rate to '134' baud and the Teensy will reset and Teensy.exe will program it.

Thanks very much. Can you please explain this line:

>> only other is a T_4.0 not lockable chosen as I needed battery pins)

How does the lockable version preclude the use of battery pins (Vin?)? Does it apply to 4.1 also?

Thanks very much. Can you please explain this line:

>> only other is a T_4.0 not lockable chosen as I needed battery pins)

How does the lockable version preclude the use of battery pins (Vin?)? Does it apply to 4.1 also?

No, Lockable T_4.x's are identical in function in all features. They just offer the path to exclusive use of Encrypted Hex.

I needed one 'at hand' for a test to keep RTC alive - the one I found with soldered pins needed was not a lockable unit. Actually, the first I found was a @Loglow/TallDog board mounted T_4.0 that was lockable - but that board uses a 1220 battery and I would have to get up to get a fresh battery. Others would have require soldering.

Back