Any gotchas or guidance upgrading from 0.58.3 to the current standard release 1.58.1?

clinker8

Updated Arduino IDE2 to V2.1.0. It tells me that there's a new board package for Teensy. I was running with 0.58.3 to get EncoderTool and TeensyTimerTool to work correctly, (with 64 bit encoders) per @luni 's instructions.

Is 1.58.1 a "safe update? I'm supporting an electronic lead screw (lathe) product, so I don't want things to blow up in my face...

Hard to answer, I know, but I am trying to get a feel for this. We all want to be up to date, but we also don't want broken stuff either... Thanks for any guidance.

Should be ok. Not many changes were made between those versions.

If you're feeling extra cautious (and you don't have a practice of regular backups for all your computer's data) you could find the Arduino15 folder and make a backup copy.

Does the .arduinoIDE folder also need a similar treatment? Must be related to the appImage IDE, I don't remember it from the previous IDE.

Maybe you're using Linux? I see Arduino has 2 downloads for Linux, one called "AppImage 64 bits (X86-64)". I've never used that one. For Linux testing, I've always downloaded the ZIP file.

Yes, running linux (for quite a while now, 20 years?). Must of overlooked the zip file. Think I downloaded the AppImage because I wanted a similar experience with my RPI4. Arduino is not supporting RPI any more on IDE 2. I am using the RPI AppImage that was created at https://github.com/koendv/arduino-ide-raspberrypi . My RPI4 is in my basement shop, and I use it to keep my Teensy based electronic lead screw up to date. The RPI AppImage is available only as 64bit OS, so I had to convert my RPI4 OS to 64 bit.

Can't say that I care for the AppImage that much, as it is disconcerting for the files to apparently vanish when the AppImage stops running. .arduinoIDE must be where the last state of the IDE2 is stored. Think I will do the zip download on my main Linux laptop... Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

In an abundance of caution, Documents, Arduino, arduino15 and arduinoIDE are now backed up. Don't think there will be a problem, but it is better to backup and not need it, than the other way around! Kind of forgot how to use rsync, took a little while to figure out the magic incantations. Thank goodness for the --dry-run flag! Lets you test everything out, without doing it.

Nothing unseemly happened from the upgrade. So to answer my own question, the answer is no, no gotcha's. This is simply due to having backups :), had they not been done disaster would have surely followed. Thanks for a simple and uneventful upgrade. Even re-learned rsync again...

Back