Arduino IDE - really for professional use?

tjaekel

I use Teensy 4.1 with Arduino IDE (2.1).
During the day it become sooooooo slow!!!
I had to disable the compile verbose output (it lacks so much behind!!! and I had to wait minutes just to see the final result of compile).
When I do the entire day "change source code - compile - upload" - the editor becomes SOOOOO slow !!!! (it will not act anymore "immediately" on my keyboard input,
it is like typing blindly).
It is a nightmare.

Why do people use Arduino (and IDE)?
Is there any better IDE, saving my time instead to wait for any response from Arduino IDE? (and getting so frustrated with the Arduino IDE turn-around time)

Arduino (IDE as well as their libs) is not usable for me.

(BTW: I know this issue already when using Portenta H7: also, so slow!)

What OS? There are alternative interfaces to build ...

The forum has various discussions -
and see here : github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki/Arduino-IDE
>> Then in right frame click "Compiling, Languages & Uploading"

Perhaps it is the machine or install - it shouldn't be THAT slow - works here okay. Though in the list above personal pref is TSET for Windows build from 'generic' editor with control to CmdLine execution.

The BUILD process and tools involved are all device dependant and the ones PJRC includes are updated as feasible from standard tools. The IDE attempts to simplify for beginners IDE 1 more than 2 - where IDE 2 is developing more features.

Slow is a relative term :D When I first started programming, it was with punched cards, which could take hours to get your run back :lol:
Now that I am retired, I don't mind getting up and getting a cup of coffee. But running it on my newer PC is faster than before. One reason I believe is it changed which virus detection code that was running. The old one was using Norton, which by default scanned each exe that ran every time, which slowed down build, helped if you added the directory to the exclude list...

As @defragster mentioned, there are alternatives. The wiki he pointed to: https://github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki was done by some users here. If you look at the list of things on the right hand side, the item: compiling, language and uploading Will show you several alternatives.

I typically stick with building using IDE 2 right now, but at times I build using the TSET stuff run within sublime-text.

the editor becomes SOOOOO slow !!!! (it will not act anymore "immediately" on my keyboard input,
it is like typing blindly).
It is a nightmare.

Does simply quitting and restarting the IDE "fix" the slowness nightmare? Or does it persist across software restart and require a reboot?

And is this Windows, Linux or MacOS?

Might be worthwhile to make a screen recording. Especially if other applications still respond quickly, capture that behavior so anyone watching can clearly see the problem isn't just your whole computer is running terribly slow. A video demo of the problem is much more likely to make an impression with the Arduino developers than a text-only message.

Have been using IDE 2 more than TSET lately. It will get SLOW - typing and UI response a bit delayed when open some time, or some interaction. With 7 sketches open now it is fine 3 days after last restart for updates. But not much use in those days. Closing IDE or CPU restarting seem to return it to not-Slow

Did just find this note on one open sketch - not seen this in a while: "Unable to watch for file changes in this large workspace. Please follow the instructions link to resolve this issue."

Back