Teensy 4.1 Midi controller over din (need help)

asclepias

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked a bunch of times.

I have a teensy 4.1

I am trying to build a midi controller with 16 pots to send cc to a synthesizer(juno 66)

I would also like to have 2 switches or buttons that send a hi/low cc.

Specifically this is intended to control the extra parameters created by modifying a juno 60 into a juno 66.

I haven’t ever done code. I have worked on electronics, but am used to working from schematics.

I have scanned and attempted several “how to’s” but keep running into issues or getting confused. Confused enough to realize I need to take this on slower and from the beginning.

If anyone could help me out with this or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!!!

[ snipped ]

I have a teensy 4.1

[ snipped ]

I have scanned and attempted several “how to’s” but keep running into issues or getting confused. Confused enough to realize I need to take this on slower and from the beginning.

If anyone could help me out with this or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!!!

@asclepias:

There are a few MIDI examples, which are available from the Arduino IDE...maybe these will provide some needed help.

Click on "File", "Examples". Then, under the "Examples for Teensy 4.1" section (assuming that you have selected the "Teensy 4.1" as the board type from the "Tools" menu), check out the examples for the "MIDI library".

Hope that helps . . .

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Thanks for the tips!

Can anyone explain what I need to know to be able to use pots greater than 10k? Also read about having 1uf caps for each pot to smooth things out; is this recommended? Thanks again!

As a general rule of thumb, higher resistance pots consume less power but give a weaker signal which results in noisy data. So you would normally want to use lower resistance for better results, but not too low that you waste a lot of power. As far as noise goes, lower than 5K is really getting into diminishing returns. Power-wise, at 10K and 3.3V, each pot consumes 0.33mA, which is relatively little compared to Teensy or even running 1 LED.

Adding a capacitor from the signal to GND can help. The type of capacitor matters more than the actual capacitance. Ceramic rated NP0 or C0G are best.

Back