Teensy 4.1 - NXP MIMXRT1062DVJ6B

timmek

Hello,

My harwdare:
  • Teensy 4.1
  • U1: NXP MIMXRT1062DVJ6B
  • U2: GD32E230F8
  • U3: W25Q64JVXGIM
  • U1B: NXP MIMXRT1062CVJ5B (automotive grade)

I would like to ask about possibility of replacing U1 to another MCU from NXP i.MX RT1060 family (in my case that is U1B: NXP MIMXRT1062CVJ5B. It (U1B) differs from the default (U1) in frequency and operating temperature.

I had desoldered U1 and soldered U1B instead. It looks like it doesn't work. I cannot use bootloader.

On pjrc website I read that:
'An IMXRT microcontroller and flash memory chip must be paired with this MKL02 to form a working system.'
and that
'IMXRT fuses are initialized the first time the IMXRT1062 and MKL02 chip are used together. Bits 4 and 19 in the HW_OCOTP_CFG5 fuse word are set. Bit 4 allows booting from flash memory. Bit 19 configures IMXRT to communicate using JTAG.
The HW_OCOTP_MAC0 and HW_OCOTP_MAC1 fuses are also set with unique 48 bit Ethernet Mac address. Only a single IMXRT1062 may be initialized.'

Could you please clarify what does it mean 'Only a single IMXRT1062 may be initialized.' ?
I didn't see code of bootloader application which is implemented on GD32E230F8 but I suppose that during hardware initialization U1, U2 and U3 are paired in some how. Maybe eFuses are being used? Maybe serial number of U1 is being remembered on U3?

Could you please answer on my questions?
Thank you.

Removing and replacing the main U1 chip on Teensy 4.1, even with the same part number, will not work. The fuses are initialized during product testing at PJRC. A different chip won't have its fuses set properly.

Regarding this question

Could you please clarify what does it mean 'Only a single IMXRT1062 may be initialized.' ?

The bootloader chip sold separately (not the one installed on a Teensy board) will initialize the fuses on a virgin IMXRT chip, basically the same as PJRC's test fixture does. Assigning the serial number is part of that process. It will only initialize one IMXRT chip. It can not be used an a general purpose programmer. It is meant to be paired with a single IMXRT chip.

@PaulStoffregen, thank you for fast reply.
2 more questions.
1. In teensy documenation there is no information about assigning the serial number. By assigning the serial number you mean initialization UNIQUE_ID (Fuse Address 0x420 - 0x410)? Does U2 stores (or generate) this unit ID and sets this value on U1 during production process?
2. Where can I find all list of eFuses which are initialized by bootloader app? As I mentioned in previous post I found only information about:
  1. HW_OCOTP_CFG5, bits 4, 19,
  2. HW_OCOTP_MAC0 , HW_OCOTP_MAC1
Thanks in advance.

@PaulStoffregen, one more thing I would like to ask.

I've got MKL02 chip with pre-programmed Teensy 4.x bootloader bought in PJRC store.
I've also got empty U1: NXP MIMXRT1062DVJ6B and U3: W25Q64JVXGIM.

I want to connect this set (keeping all connections as on the Teensy 4.1 dev board).
Will new/unpaired bootloader carry out the pairing process (setting the OTP) automatically at the first power supply?
Or maybe this pairing process (U1, U2, U3) require other actions?

I want to connect this set (keeping all connections as on the Teensy 4.1 dev board).
Will new/unpaired bootloader carry out the pairing process (setting the OTP) automatically at the first power supply?

Yes, confirm, this process happens automatically the first time the chips are powered up together.

If I buy pre-programmed MKL02 chips, will they work with MIMXRT1062CVJ5B (-40 to +105 temp range version) ? Or they won't recognize it, because it's a different chip?

PJRC has not tested that chip, but it was reported working on this thread:

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/7079...-on-custom-PCB?p=326347&viewfull=1#post326347

If you're asking only because the normal version is out of stock, we do have a small number of the normal chips. If you need only a small number (less than 100) now to build prototypes or first production test boards, email me directly and we can sell you some of them with pricing similar to Digikey.

Oh, thanks you, I missed that post. I was asking because I need a device that can work at temperatures around -15 °C. And because the device will spend some time into low power modes, I can't rely on self heating. BTW, now that someone has already tested it, are there any plans to make an official teensy 4.1 variant using that chip?

BTW, now that someone has already tested it, are there any plans to make an official teensy 4.1 variant using that chip?

Today, no specific plans, but we have talked about the idea a few times. NXP's long lead times on these parts means even if we decided today to make an industrial temperature Teensy, we couldn't actually get production volume of the chips for at least half a year (and that's assuming NXP delivers on time....)

Today, no specific plans, but we have talked about the idea a few times. NXP's long lead times on these parts means even if we decided today to make an industrial temperature Teensy, we couldn't actually get production volume of the chips for at least half a year (and that's assuming NXP delivers on time....)

Just my 2 cents, but we would love to see an industrial-temp version of T4.x.

Hypothetically, if PJRC were to make only 1 industrial temperature Teensy, should it be Teensy 4.0, Teensy 4.1 (with ethernet) or Teensy 4.1 (without ethernet)?

If this were to happen, it would probably only be lockable. What definitely will not happen is many part numbers to offer every existing product in wide temperature.

Hypothetically, if PJRC were to make only 1 industrial temperature Teensy, should it be Teensy 4.0, Teensy 4.1 (with ethernet) or Teensy 4.1 (without ethernet)?

If this were to happen, it would probably only be lockable. What definitely will not happen is many part numbers to offer every existing product in wide temperature.

My opinion - Teensy 4.1 with ethernet, that's all we use these days.

T4.1 with Ethernet

Seems the best for most capable - though lower clock. Are all other components available for that able to get to same temp range? T_4.0 fewer extras - SD card, Ethernet PHY, and USB Host chip switch.

Been using many provided of the 'lockable' since first Beta with no issue in general use - un-keyed, keyed not locked, keyed and locked. ... Well of course I found one FIXED issue with first lock code - but nothing after it was updated and key.pem maintained. So making it lockable only makes sense for the use case where it likely ends up at higher price due to any changed parts to similar temp range.

I've been running the 528 MHz clock just to keep the temperatures lower. Don't notice a difference in performance for my applications. Would be interesting to know if all the components could hit those temperature ranges with the packages used on Teensy 4.1, otherwise, I suspect new packages would be too much of an engineering time investment.

Are all other components available for that able to get to same temp range? T_4.0 fewer extras - SD card, Ethernet PHY, and USB Host chip switch.

I would really need to double check every parts specs, but as I recall from a quick look quite some time ago, the crystals and ethernet PHY chip are my main concerns.

We might also need to lower the 3.3V output current recommendation.

I would really need to double check every parts specs, but as I recall from a quick look quite some time ago, the crystals and ethernet PHY chip are my main concerns.

We might also need to lower the 3.3V output current recommendation.

For sure - didn't mention the T_4.0 common: LDO, FLASH, Bootloader, Crystals.

Will have to find the usable range and power limits in: (-40 to +105 temp range version)

Crystals probably change a bit more in that range than when used in 60-90°F :)

If T_4.1 - are bottom side usable QSPI parts good at same temps? Lots of testing cold and hot power at on, and running.

Back