Is application s/w used in Teensy 3.6 portable to 4.1?

MikeLindl

High level project management question. Is the C++ application code used on the Teensy 3.6 directly portable to the 4.1? I'd assume yes (except for any pin settings/definitions updates) and any driver updates for the updated microprocessor do not impact the application code? Trying to quantify the level of s/w work to make the update to 4.1. Thanks

High level project management question. Is the C++ application code used on the Teensy 3.6 directly portable to the 4.1? I'd assume yes (except for any pin settings/definitions updates) and any driver updates for the updated microprocessor do not impact the application code? Trying to quantify the level of s/w work to make the update to 4.1. Thanks

It depends. A lot is compatible (first serial port, first SPI bus, first I2C bus, first 10 analog pins), some things are not.

I wrote this high level guide about compatibility some time ago:

Some other things that you may need to look at:
  • I don't program with DMA, use interrupts, or access the hardware at a low level, but I have to image these are different.
  • Several of the display drivers for Teensy 3.x have special optimizations when you use certain pins. The Teensy 4.x does not have this type of optimization, and the display might be slower.

Last edited:
Back