teensy 3 MAC address

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish my brain would work binary like yours and other peoples here.
Things i need hours or days you do in minutes.

Serial output looks nice now:
Code:
The radio frequency is 868 Mhz, Kenneth!
RFM69 ATC Enabled (Auto Transmission Control)

I2C Address Scanning ...
Found i2c Device Address: 32 (0x20)
Found i2c Device Address: 33 (0x21)
Scanning done!
Found 2 device(s).

Reading MAC from hardware...
Success! Setting MAC address:
  Ethernet MAC = 04 E9 E5 03 A7 AE

Starting Network...
  Connected to Network!
  IPv4 address: 192.168.0.246

Syncing with NTP Server...
Transmitting NTP Request...
Receiving NTP Response...
RTC has set the system time
Time: 6:01:18 22 1 2017

Great that it works now :)

You can print the MAC without loop, too:
Code:
 Serial.printf("Ethernet MAC = %02X:%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X\n", mac[0], mac[1], mac[2], mac[3], mac[4], mac[5]);
These are, again, format-strings. "%02X" means print the number as 2-digit hexadecimal, with leading zero, uppercase. ("%02x" would be lowercase)

Last edited:
I have made a new library called TeensID based on the TeensyMAC lib from frank.
You can find it at https://github.com/sstaub/TeensyID
I have extended the library with pointers and strings for MAC, USB#, Serial# and ChipID
It is only tested for Teensy 3.5

Last edited:
Glancing at the code it looks like it has FrankB's work to get serial # before hsrun_disable was introduced for T_3.6 - that catching it in startup. Though that code is also there? The core of the code needs only do the work below to get the Serial #.

The PJRC code to set the Serial Number is here: teensy3/usb_desc.c#L1294

void usb_init_serialnumber(void)
{
char buf[11];
uint32_t i, num;

// ...

Yes I have added the kinetis_hsrun_disable / _enable from the PJRC code to the code of FrankB, so it is nearly the same code. For me the goal is to get an unique mac address and also an UUID (RFC4122), I have to work on next.

Glancing at the code it looks like it has FrankB's work to get serial # before hsrun_disable was introduced for T_3.6 - that catching it in startup. Though that code is also there? The core of the code needs only do the work below to get the Serial #.

The PJRC code to set the Serial Number is here: teensy3/usb_desc.c#L1294

So, when I really understood, you mean that this part of the code can deleted!?

Code:
#if defined(HAS_KINETIS_FLASH_FTFE) && (F_CPU > 120000000)

extern "C" void startup_early_hook(void) {
		#if defined(KINETISK)
  		WDOG_STCTRLH = WDOG_STCTRLH_ALLOWUPDATE;
		#elif defined(KINETISL)
  		SIM_COPC = 0;  // disable the watchdog
		#endif
		*(uint32_t*)(MY_SYSREGISTERFILE) = _getserialhw();
		}

Yes, that is the part that caught my eye. If that was indeed from the Beta posting - it was to get the SN before the hsrun state was entered and that value went 'offline'

Yes, that is the part that caught my eye. If that was indeed from the Beta posting - it was to get the SN before the hsrun state was entered and that value went 'offline'

Thank you for your advices, I have rewritten and optimized the code and published it. Also added a UUID (RFC4122) function.

TeensyID now tested on Teensy 3.2, example added

I have made a new library called TeensID based on the TeensyMAC lib from frank.
You can find it at https://github.com/sstaub/TeensyID
I have extended the library with pointers and strings for MAC, USB#, Serial# and ChipID
It is only tested for Teensy 3.5

I forked your repo, fixed a decl in the example code, made an Arduino library example folder, tested on T3.2, added to the readme, and issued a pull request. Here is output with T3.2:
USB Serialnumber: 1244570
Array Serialnumber: 00-01-E6-29
String Serialnumber: 00-01-e6-29
Array MAC Address: 04:E9:E5:01:E6:29
String MAC Address: 04:e9:e5:01:e6:29
Array 128-bit UniqueID from chip: C7210000-714D001E-00496017-31384E45
String 128-bit UniqueID from chip: c7210000-714d001e-00496017-31384e45
Array 128-bit UUID RFC4122: 00496017-3138-404E-8045-04E9E501E629
String 128-bit UUID RFC4122: 00496017-3138-404e-8045-04e9e501e629

Last edited:
I've created a library that helps to retrieve the Serial and MAC from within your sketch:

https://github.com/FrankBoesing/TeensyMAC

Works with Teensy LC, Teensy 3.0 .. 3.6 and in HS_RUN-Mode.

usage: see "readme"

Hi Frank,
I think there is a issue somewhere. I was debugging other stuff with wireshark and I saw my teensy sending out the last 3 MAC digits as 00:00:00
then I had a look around and found this:

- at the first run after loading teensy software I get the right SN and MAC
- if I unplug and replug teensy then I get 0 as a SN and 0x04E9E5000000 as a mac.

This also happens with the example in your github, so don't think is related with my code.

Any suggestions?

Hi Frank,
I think there is a issue somewhere. I was debugging other stuff with wireshark and I saw my teensy sending out the last 3 MAC digits as 00:00:00

- if I unplug and replug teensy then I get 0 as a SN and 0x04E9E5000000 as a mac.

This also happens with the example in your github, so don't think is related with my code.

Any suggestions?

Which Teensy ?

Hi Frank,

Any suggestions?

Tried also with another Teensy 3.6, same thing. First boot everything ok, then the mac is 00:00:00 on the last 3 bytes.
Both teensy have something saved in the EEPROM, can be related?

Tried also with another Teensy 3.6, same thing. First boot everything ok, then the mac is 00:00:00 on the last 3 bytes.
Both teensy have something saved in the EEPROM, can be related?

Hi, at the moment, I can not reproduce this issue. It works well, for me, after power-off/on, too. On the other hand, I don't use the EEPROM.
For >120MHZ, the code kicks in early, and reads the MAC at "early startup", before initializing anything other, and stores it in the "System Register File" for later usage. I'd be surprised if this does not work with EEPROM, but who knows...

Last edited:
Hi, at the moment, I can not reproduce this issue. It works well, for me, after power-off/on, too. On the other hand, I don't use the EEPROM.
For >120MHZ, the code kicks in early, and reads the MAC at "early startup", before initializing anything other, and stores it in the "System Register File" for later usage. I'd be surprised if this does not work with EEPROM, but who knows...

I will try to erase the eeprom and see if something changes, but seems strange.
where is the MAC address stored?

where is the MAC address stored?

Every Kinetis chip has a small, very special "write once" memory, which is used for the mac address. This memory has 8 words of 64 bits. The other chips have slightly different size memory and some are 32 bit words, but they all work the same way. It start as all 1s when Freescale makes the chip. There's a special command to write to this memory, one word at a time. After the word is written, changing any of its bits from 1 or 0, the entire 64 bits are forever locked. If you try to write again, the chip returns an error status and does not change any bits. Erasing the chip does not erase this very special memory. Once written, it's permanent. Well, at least as permanent as the flash memory retains data, which is at least 20 years at extreme temperature and probably hundreds of years at room temperature.

As each Teensy is tested, PJRC's test gear programs 64 bits of that special "write once" memory with PJRC's IEEE-assigned OUI (mac address upper 24 bits) and a unique serial number. All the other bits of that memory are not touched. But those 64 bits with the mac address are programmed here and can never be altered, even if you fully erase the chip.

Every Kinetis chip has a small, very special "write once" memory, which is used for the mac address. This memory has 8 words of 64 bits. The other chips have slightly different size memory and some are 32 bit words, but they all work the same way. It start as all 1s when Freescale makes the chip. There's a special command to write to this memory, one word at a time. After the word is written, changing any of its bits from 1 or 0, the entire 64 bits are forever locked. If you try to write again, the chip returns an error status and does not change any bits. Erasing the chip does not erase this very special memory. Once written, it's permanent. Well, at least as permanent as the flash memory retains data, which is at least 20 years at extreme temperature and probably hundreds of years at room temperature.

As each Teensy is tested, PJRC's test gear programs 64 bits of that special "write once" memory with PJRC's IEEE-assigned OUI (mac address upper 24 bits) and a unique serial number. All the other bits of that memory are not touched. But those 64 bits with the mac address are programmed here and can never be altered, even if you fully erase the chip.

Good to know, thanks Paul.
I was thinking was saved somewhere in the EEPROM, and loading my stuff the EEPROM could cause issues retrive the MAC. But i think this is not related.

Both my teensy 3.6 behave the same even with the example of Frank's library.
After being programmed they are showing the entire MAC correctly, if I unplug and re-plug the USB then the last 3 digits of the MAC are 00.
I suppose something is wrong in getting the data, maybe some delay is needed before accessing this special memory?

Before I look into this, can you tell me which OS you're using, and which version of Arduino and Teensyduino you have (click Help > About to check)? These details can really matter for investigating startup speed issues.

Before I look into this, can you tell me which OS you're using, and which version of Arduino and Teensyduino you have (click Help > About to check)? These details can really matter for investigating startup speed issues.

Just re-tried with my default configuration: MacOS 10.11 El capitan - Arduino 1.8.2 - Teensyduino 1.36
Tried to place a delay(10000) before the code and still the same behavior, when I unplug and replug Teensy the MAC is wrong

Serial: 0
MAC: 0x04E9E5000000

Update:
I lowered down the CPU speed at 120MHz and now is working fine all the time!
at 144 and 180 is not working after first reboot

Last edited:
I tried just now with a Teensy 3.6 at 180 MHz and default settings running Frank's code. I don't have El Capitan, so I tested on a Macbook Air running Sierra 10.12.5.

sc.png

I unplugged and reconnected the cable several time. I can't get it to reproduce the problem. Every time I plug it in, the serial monitor shows the correct info. This screenshot was after plugging in several times.

I tried just now with a Teensy 3.6 at 180 MHz and default settings running Frank's code. I don't have El Capitan, so I tested on a Macbook Air running Sierra 10.12.5.

View attachment 10970

I unplugged and reconnected the cable several time. I can't get it to reproduce the problem. Every time I plug it in, the serial monitor shows the correct info. This screenshot was after plugging in several times.

I also have a Ubuntu laptop, I will give it a try and let you know

View attachment 10970

Tested now With Ubuntu 17.04 - Teensy 3.6 - Arduino 1.8.3 and Teensyduino 1.37
Same issue here running at 180Mhz

Settings:
USB Type: Serial or Serial+Midi
CPU Speed: 180MHz
Optimize: Faster (edit: tried also Debug, same issue)

If you have any idea to test, I'm really willing to do that, I need to make this work
Lorenzo

Using ubuntu 16.04, IDE 1.8.3/1.37 on T3.6@180mhz, works for me with Fast Faster or Fastest using Frank's example
Code:
#include <TeensyMAC.h>

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  delay(500);
  Serial.printf("Serial: %u\n", teensySerial());
  Serial.printf("MAC: 0x%012llX\n", teensyMAC());
}

MAC: 0x04E9E5032337
Serial: 2056230
still works after unplugging/plugging USB cable.

Tested on 2 different T3.6

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back