Recent content by gfvalvo

1. G

Is FastLED / WS2812Serial Broken in Teensyduino 1.59?

Thanks @PaulStoffregen So there's no installer or .json link for unreleased versions? Which "those" files do I need to replace? 'new.cpp', 'new.h', mk20dx128.c? Any others?
  2. G

@PaulStoffregen, I see you've committed another change in the GitHub to 'new.cpp' and 'new.h' that appears to be related to this issue. I'd like to try it in my FastLED application. How do I download and use this unreleased version of Teensyduino? All I know how to do is download and run a...
  3. G

@PaulStoffregen @jmarsh Wow, great detective work! Thanks! Two questions: 1. Out of curiosity, can you go back in Teensyduino history and find where this broke? FastLED definitely worked in some releases prior to 1.59. 2. Can you propose a code that triggers this failure outside of the...
  4. G

Correction, I only checked the address of the CLEDController class object, not the address of the function to be called. Paul just did that. It indeed appears to be a VTABLE problem. It's just quite vexing that I can't make it happen outside of the FastLED environment.
  5. G

I did try that. The it was pointing to the function as implemented in the derived class ... just like I would have expected.
  6. G

Paul, I came to the exact same conclusion --- Post #4 in this Thread It's a call to a virtual function that's (overridden in a derived class) using a pointer to a base class. I've tried several times to recreate this behavior outside of FastLED using polymorphic function calls like this...
  7. G

PaulStoffregen, I really didn't understand all the minutiae of what installs, uninstalls, etc. But, I assume none of it is a work around for this problem with Teensy 3.x, Correct?
  8. G

Thanks Paul. Where do I download previous versions of the Teensyduino installer? All I can find is v1.59.
  9. G

Well, at lead I know I'm not nuts. Thanks for confirming.
  10. G

Hi Paul, thanks for the followup. Just to be on the safe side, I downloaded a fresh (portable) installation of Arduino 1.8.19 and Teensyduino 1.59. I then ran your exact code from Post #6 except that I added two debug prints around the call to ‘FastLED.addLeds<WS2812, DATA_PIN>(leds...
  11. G

@Paul, So, it’s looking to me like it’s not just WS2812Serial that’s broken with Teensyduino 1.59, but all of FastLED. I tried the most basic library example trying both WS2812Serial and standard ‘NEOPIXEL’ types in the initialization. Nothing works. I tried FastLED versions v3.6, v3.5, v3.4...
  12. G

Paul, I've noted the failure with FastLED v3.6.0 and and 3.4.0. The working Arduino 1.8.15 / Teensyduino 1.54 combination uses FastLED 3.3.0. I've narrowed the problem down to this call in FastLED.cpp: pLed->init(); In fact, it seems any call to a virtual function declared in the...
  13. G

Using Arduino 1.8.19 / Teensyduino 1.59 and the included example FastLED_Cylon.ino. The code never returns from the function call: LEDS.addLeds<WS2812SERIAL, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS); Same thing happens using Sloeber 4.3.3 + https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/package_teensy_index.json It does...
  14. G

Teensyduino and FastLED

I'm wondering if there's a reason to include a (custom?) version of FastLED in Teensyduino. Looking at the standard FastLED source code on GitHub, it appears to me that the newer versions (I only checked 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6) all support the special PJRC libraries like WS2812Serial right out of the...
  15. G

Using an Object for Interrupt (and other) Call Backs

To me, @luni's solution is preferable to reinventing the wheel as Paul proposes with his "Lightweight C++ callbacks" idea. If I understand correctly, std::function won't occupy significant heap space if you just wrap a free (regular) function, static class function, stateless lambda, etc. The...
Back