Recent content by kallikak

1. K

Loop to slow for MIDI library read() method

Keep MIDI.read() in your loop and work more on optimising your OLED code. That's where the problem is. If updating a portion of the screen only instead of a clear and full update makes no difference, you must be overlooking something. Also, does it really matter if you are slow reading a clock...
  2. K

ADSR with latching attack?

You're thinking of the "unconditional contour" option on the MemoryMoog. It's not common, but an interesting option nevertheless - kicking off a cycle from a trigger rather than following a gate.
  3. K

Microdexed on Teensy 4.1 - no usb audio

The help for the USB output object says this: "USB input & output does not cause the Teensy Audio Library to update. At least one non-USB input or output object must be present for the entire library to update properly." I haven't looked at the code, but quite possibly that's what you're...
  4. K

Filter Modulation

I have a very simple example here LFO Modulation that might help. It has an LFO modulating both an oscillator and a filter with an independent amount control as well. It doesn't use an envelope, but inserting one follows exactly the same pattern.
  5. K

Fun with FM synthesis

And now version 2.
  6. K

Using Teensy for big MIDI control surface

I don't understand why you would think I do - I explicitly stated that interrupts are better and more elegant. But from your comments it seems like you are new to this, so I tried to address some aspects that are relevant and understanding them should help you make a better solution. But...
  7. K

Some thoughts: - memory is a non-issue for this application - interrupts are more efficient and more elegant to implement than polling (what you are calling the digital pin method, but both methods are digital) - if you are seeing such a big difference though, check your code. I reckon a...
  8. K

You can daisy chain 8 MCP23017s off one i2c bus, giving 128 (interrupt capable) digital pins. That would support 64 encoders (if you're not using switches). And the Teensy 4 has 3 I2C busses, so you can support 192 encoders without having to do anything crazy. You will also have plenty of...
  9. K

5 pin MIDI in not working

Your circuit is fine and won't damage the Teensy. it's very easy to get pins 4 & 5 mixed up on the DIN - that's what I'd check closely. Specifically - make sure you are viewing the connector from the intended direction. You might consider adding a resistor and LED off pin 6 (connected to VCC)...
  10. K

Fun with FM synthesis

I put together a Eurorack 4-operator FM voice using parts of the Dexed audio library object. Because I wasn't trying to recreate a DX7, I dropped various things (like the LFO, pitch envelope, detune, effects), changed others (coarse frequency down to 1/128 like the OpSix, ADSR envelopes...
  11. K

Fun with FM synthesis

I have just returned to this and your code looks very promising, so I had a go with the Audio Library object version. I am using a Teensy 4.1 and the problems I describe occur with both the audio shield and I2S into a PCM5102A. I have also built with the CPU speed changing from 600MHz to...
  12. K

Building and learning synthesis with Teensy - a resource I've made

Thanks for spotting that - fixed. :-)
  13. K

what to do with SAMPLE and HOLD

Sample and hold on an input noise signal is great for a rhythmic random cut-off changing, or for "robotic" sound effect pitch jumps. This app let's you play around with both: http://thewessens.net/synthbook/#sample-and-hold Lower the cutoff and increase the filter amount, and/or increase the...
  14. K

T3.2 power up issues

I tried a few places - setup() was too late. Even startup_late_hook() was too late.
  15. K

T3.2 power up issues

No one has any suggestions for how this might be manageable via software on powerup? My thinking now is a supervisor chip like a MIC803 connected to the reset pad is the best option - just a bit of a nuisance connection on the T3.2 Edit: Looks like putting a short delay (an empty loop) in...
Back