Search results

1. StefanPetrick

Driving APA102 LEDs using FlexIO DMA?

Teensy 4: I noticed that at 800 fps on 256 LEDs (driven at 12 MHz with FastLED) I spend up to 20% of the time waiting for FastLED.show() to finish. This surprised me. Not sure if this is the expected behaviour considering that FastLED uses hardware SPI if possible. I used pin 11+13. I would...
  2. StefanPetrick

Can a Teensy 4 drive a HUB75 LED panel directly?

I wonder because the latest SmartMatrix shield seems to use a level shifter. The older ones (v1.0 for sure) did not but worked fine with a Teensy 3.1. Is anyone here driving such a panel without the shield from Pixelmatix? If so I'd appreciate a hint regarding the wiring.
  3. StefanPetrick

What's the fastest way to have a Teensy 4 speak to multiple Teensy 4s?

Hi everybody! I looks like my little LED animation projects turns out to become a full blown modular animation synthesizer. For consumer size setups with 1k LEDs one Teensy 4 will be more than enough for +-10 animation layers and complex animations. But I have also have some people reaching...
  4. StefanPetrick

I'm looking for a performant Perlin or Open Simplex Noise implementation

Specifically I'm after functions optimized for using the FPU of a Teensy 3.6 or 4.x In case anyone did this already I'd appreciae a link or hint. A one to four dimensional full float implementation would be perfect. Thanks for any advice or code!
  5. StefanPetrick

LED matrix animations & FPU procedural 2d art

Animation precision & outstanding visual quality has been my prioritiy and I am happy to report that I met this goals. In the video I discuss & show basic polar & cartesian manipulations and how chaining some simple equations together can already produce interesting looking procedural...
  6. StefanPetrick

The pursuit of enhancing LED animations

I'm currently working on a versatile realtime rendering thing which is meant to generate procedural animations based on very few parameters. Stuff like spiral, caleidoscope, tunnel, lens, twist, rotation and so on, all based on multi layer procedural Perlin noise. Basically polar math + noise...
  7. StefanPetrick

FastLED hardware SPI pins at Teensy 3.6?

Hello, on the Teensy 3.2 the data transfer works really fast (12/24 Mhz and non-blocking(?!)) when using the SPI pins 11 and 13. LEDS.addLeds<APA102, 11, 13, BGR, DATA_RATE_MHZ(12)>(leds, NUM_LEDS); Which pins should I use on the Teensy 3.6? It seems to always default to bit-banging? (Idle...
  8. StefanPetrick

LED animation rendering: framerate drops over time significantly - what causes this?

Hi, I'm rewriting my Processing simulation code for Arduino + FastLED. The animation runs fine and looks as expected - but is way slower than I'd expect on a small 16x16 matrix. I guess I made a silly mistake and I#m too blind to see it. My guess was: Is it possible, that sinf() gets really...
  9. StefanPetrick

Procedural LED animation tutorials - Referral link to Teensy 4 distributors?

Hi, I'm working on some Youtube videos explaining how I create realtime rendered procedural animations like this: This might or might not lead to a bunch of new people wanting to buy a Teensy 4. I will definetly recommend it because of it's outstanding computing power! My question is if any...
  10. StefanPetrick

Teensy based Galvano-Laser-System?

Hello everyone! I´m dreaming about a Galvano-Laser to engrave wooden surfaces. Minimal moving masses allow high speed movements compared to 3 axis portal constructions. The idea is to start with a cheap disco-light galvanometer unit like this one. It shouldn´t be hard to have a Teensy...
  11. StefanPetrick

Fire (effect) on an APA102 matrix.

Hi, I tryed to code a fire effect for a 16x16 matrix. This was the first result: The wind appeared too strong, so I adjusted the parameters a bit. Result: In case you want to play with it, here is the code. There are many parameters to be discovered. Comments can be found in the code...
  12. StefanPetrick

Teensy 3.6 - Looking for a complete list of all FPU accelerated math functions

Hello, where can I find a complete list or file showing all the float math functions which can be performed by the FPU? So far I came across and floorf. I guess there is more the FPU can do. Any hint is welcome. Thanks.
  13. StefanPetrick

Perlin Noise implementation?

Hi guys, I´d really love to have a good quality and fast Perlin Noise implementation. Maybe it would be of general interest for usecases beside led effects as well?! The FastLEDs noise functions are okayish, but produce spikes here and there which interrupt the flow of the waveform. I was...
  14. StefanPetrick

Video: FastLED simplex noise modulated by itself

Hello everybody, I just wanted to show you an animation I created today. It´s basically only one 16x16 layer of noise data. I used several points in that array to manipulate the x, y, z coordinates and the x & y scaling of the calculated noise space. Another point is used to control the...
  15. StefanPetrick

Overclocked Teensy 3.6 + Audio Adaptor + APA102?

Teensy 3.6 + Audio Adaptor + APA102? Hello everyone, just some short questions before I get myself a 3.6 + Audio Adaptor. Please correct me in case I misunderstood something. A) The Audio Library and FastLED are working together fine. B) Are with this combination still hardware SPI pins...
  16. StefanPetrick

SSD1306 harware SPI on Teensy 3.1

Adafruit_SSD1306 hardware SPI on Teensy 3.1 Hello, I´m using the Adafruit1306 lib and a Teensy 3.1. I have an OLED module where CLK, MOSI, CS and D/C are available. Software SPI works fine, but I didn´t get the hardware SPI working yet. The library says // If using software SPI (the default...
  17. StefanPetrick

How to speed up analogRead?

I found the ADC library but for me it basically raises more questions than it answers. I need 8 bit readings as fast as possible. Is analogReadResolution all I need? I found no informations about speed so far. I guess the challenge is to find the balance between speed and precision. Any hint...
  18. StefanPetrick

Internal ADC + FFT?

Hello, I´d like to do some FFT tests. I don´t have an Audio Adaptor Board. So, how to start? I found the Audio System Design Tool for Teensy Audio Library. I guess there I have to connect the ADC input to the fft256 analyze module. Copy the code into the Arduino IDE and try to adapt the FFT...
  19. StefanPetrick

How to read data from an USB faderbox

Hello everyone, I'd like to control led animations with an external USB controller box. What would be the workflow to receive data from an USB fader box? I think I'd need an USB host shield first. But how to continue? Is there an easy way to get meaningful data out of it similar to the...
  20. StefanPetrick

Accessing the backside pins?

I´m pretty unexperienced whith the Teensy 3.1 yet. I have a question concerning the pins on the backside of the board: How do you guys secure wires connected to those pins? Exists there any adapter brick (plug, jack, connector) or something else allowing a cable relief and/or easy disassembly...
  21. StefanPetrick

Capacitive sensors on a wire?

Hi, I would need some capacitive sensors 50 cm next to the Teensy, but it seems impossible to get repeatable readings then. My guess is, that the additional capacity makes it difficult to track minimal changes of the total capacity. Cat 6 cable does not help. A "well grounded" Teensy does not...
  22. StefanPetrick

Arduino IDE 1.0.5 r2 (windows) serial monitor problem

I´ve recently the problem, that the IDE tells me sometimes "serial port COM x not found" when opening the serial monitor. I never encountered a problem when upoading a program to the Teensy on the same port. Sometimes the monitor works, sometimes not. It appears to be complete random. Is...
  23. StefanPetrick

FunkyNoise animation playground

Hi everybody, just a short video showing FastLEDs 16 bit Perlin Noise in 3 layers on a 32x32 SmartMatrix. The first 2 layers get overlaid for the color information, layer 3 is a brightness mask. Driven by a Teensy 3.1@96 MHz. 54 fps with the Teensy also multiplexing the leds. With 2 layers I...
  24. StefanPetrick

Forum: how to change my name?

I found everything like set new password, email,... except how to change my name. Is it possible or do I need a new account for that?
  25. StefanPetrick

Ubuntu 12.04: Arduino 1.0.6 + Teensyduino

Hi, I got the Arduino IDE and Teensyduino installed. When opening the IDE I can select Teensys as board. But I failed installing the udev rules - so I can't program the Teensy. When entering sudo cp 49-teensy.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/ I got the answer "file not found". So where do I find the...
Back