Search results

1. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

I get them from Adafruit...
  2. D

AudioSDR - A single Audio block SDR (software defined radio) processor/demodulator

Sorry, I don't have any real experience with a Mac. Since it is just a matter of substituting files in the Teensy folders, can you find the appropriate place on the Mac?
  3. D

AudioSDR - A single Audio block SDR (software defined radio) processor/demodulator

Yes... I'm working on it! Right now I have the SDR part (Audio processing, IQ generation etc) working in a stand-aloe config, and am concentrating of the RF hardware side (mixers. QRP linear amplifier, filters). The goal is to integrate the RX and TX after both are working, Derek, AK1WI
  4. D

Future Teensy features & pinout

Thanks @Frank B. We may be a little OT, but this is certainly something I need to understand re the T4.x when it arrives. My understanding was that in a dual core machine, the two cores run completely independently of each other and were basically unaware of each other - except when sharing...
  5. D

Which is exactly what I am hoping to do for my AudioSDR software: run the heavy DSP stuff in the M7 core within the Audio Library framework, and the UI and display code in the M4, with shared memory for communication. No RTOS.
  6. D

Another quick GitHub update: Just to let you know that I"ve just uploaded another update with minor changes: 1. A more recent version of the manual (with source code for BareBonesWSPR) 2. An EXTRAS folder with the .ino for BareBonesWSPR, and a copy of my library SI5351quad, which generates...
  7. D

Definitely a +1 for an accessible reset pin. On my current T4.1 project the MCU is sandwiched between two other boards, and I don't want to solder to the bottom of the T4.1, so I'm having to use a tongue-depressor to reach into the sandwich and feel around for the switch. Very inconvenient...
  8. D

Updates: Hi everybody! I've been involved in a large ESP32 project (a stand-alone WSPR beacon, with 20+ units now deployed) for several months and away from the forum, but still working on AudioSDR, and using it daily. A couple of things: 1) I have just uploaded an update to GitHub. It...
  9. D

TeensyDuino integration into Arduino 2.0 IDE

I've been away from the forum for about a year, but I'm now back. I had several notifications last night that the all new Arduino 2.0 IDE is now available for download. But it's not immediately useful to us unless Teensyduino can be integrated. I've been unable to find any info on the...
  10. D

F32 Audio Spectrum/Waterfall guidance - AudioAnalyzeFFT1024_F32

@MarkT I'd be interested to know how (and try) to do it. DMA? Certainly I can see a processor based frame buffer, but just writing a 256x(say)80 screen region pixel by pixel with 16 bit pixels and SPI speed seems to be unrealistic... Derek
  11. D

F32 Audio Spectrum/Waterfall guidance - AudioAnalyzeFFT1024_F32

@Clarkie1234 I sent you a very brief reply to your PM suggesting we correspond via email. I have a working 44.1kHz wide spectrum display for my audioSDR that works with Teensy 4.0/4.1, but I haven't even tried to put together a waterfall because it just seems too much for a simple SPI connected...
  12. D

Hi Ron, I've been away from the AudioSDR project for over a year at this point, but am getting right back into it as we speak with a Teensy 4.1 version. I'm also very familiar with the QCX/QCX+, in fact I have three of them sitting on my desk right now! (I'm running a radio club project to...
  13. D

Using the I2S with Teensy4.0

@Fritz A few of us tried using the WM8731 with the T3.6 and found a whole lotta problems with the I2C communication. The link to the thread is I2C problems with Teensy 3.6 and WM8731 codec. Paul ultimately found the main problem was caused by ringing on the MCLK line, but it was not a complete...
  14. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

A bit off topic but if you are want to improve your soldering skills, here's a video showing the SMD assembly of a new Russian SDR (software defined radio) kit. It's not a tutorial, but it shows all the SMD soldering techniques in action (including the drag method and hot-air reflow on some...
  15. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@ETMoody3 Are you going to use solder paste and just apply it without a mask, letting surface tension draw the paste off the solder mask? I've seen videos of this being done and it seemed to work well. I'm thinking of buying a hot-air rework station, so I'll be interested to hear how it for...
  16. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@loglow, Will you be selling spare flex-cables when the kit is released? That would make it a lot easier to replace a wonky T4 on the breakout. I know it's possible to carefully remove and replace a flex-cable (I've done it), but I would feel more secure with having a new spare on hand for...
  17. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@loglow - Dan, I think these are great decisions for the board assembly options. I'm sure a lot of people would be intiminated by the SMD assembly requirement. And talking of SMD soldering, there are many You Tube videos on the topic. I particularly like Dave Jones' EEVblog #i86 which is his...
  18. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

Well, that was easy!!! I just specified the CS as BUILTIN_SDCARD and everything started working on both breakouts. Thanks. So it's back to the grandkids...
  19. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@mjs513 - You can never have enough solder braid ;) With my old, tired, shaky hands I can't get along without it. I've just been invaded (again) by a horde of grandkids, so Teensy stuff will have to take a back seat for a couple of days. (I'll try to sneak a few minutes to try the SD card...
  20. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

My first fail! I cannot get the SD card to work on either of the two breakouts! I've tried several different cards of different sizes, checked their formatting on my PC (all are FAT32), but none are recognized by the T4 breakout. AS the first test I'm using CardInfo.ino from the SD library...
  21. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

Dan asked us to stress USB_Host stuff in our testing, but I have a small confession: I have never dealt with USB_Host software, and don't really know anything about it. Nor have I dealt with CANbus :( Can anybody point me at a sketch, or some examples, that I could look at to help reduce my...
  22. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@defragster et al Here's what I think was my order of assembly of the SMD components: C5 -> C3 -> C2 -> U2 -> C4 -> U1 -> R1 -> tiny tactile SW -> flex-cable socket -> SDcard socket -> C1 . Then the other components are easy, I did: USB socket -> 2 slide switches -> battery holder. There is...
  23. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@defragster: Some quickie photos. (I apologize for the quality, I'm the world's worst photographer, while my wife was a professional photographer:confused:. First the two completed boards: Then front and back shots of the breakouts: and a view showing the T4 lifted out of its socket...
  24. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

Two fully functional boards now. Both worked right away. I'm a happy camper...
  25. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

All is good!!;) Pin 36 is functioning! I did a quick check on all the pins and all are blinking. Congratulations Dan - it was a long journey for you, but I believe you nailed it this time! Derek
  26. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

It's here (in Mass)! I'm assembling as we speak...
  27. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

It may (?) just arrive before Xmas - seeing as we are almost neighbors. I'll get to it asap, but family arrive tonight... the house will be a complete (but wonderful) disaster for the next few days :D Happy holidays all! Derek
  28. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

Great work Dan! It's a beautifully designed board and I think fixing the layout is the best long term solution for you. Would it be possible to get a new complete kit + an extra flex cable since I used all the parts building and debugging the first one? Next question - after building the...
  29. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@loglow - Dan - I hope I'm wrong but I suspect there's a mismatch in the order of the traces on the flex-cable and the pcb trace to pin 36 at the flex cable socket :( This morning I got the replacement T4 constructed and working on the breakout. I also shaved down the 2x2 socket with an...
  30. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

Well, I remembered that I'd seen T4's at the local electronics store (You-Do-It Electronics in Needham, MA), so I jumped in the car and got the last one! So back in business tomorrow morning. A few more comments on the build: 1) There was absolutely no issue with soldering around the battery...
  31. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@loglow Dan, I've assembled the new board - thanks very much for including me. It went very well, much smoother than the first Beta - took about 3.5 hours with quite a bit of time spent working out a sensible construction order. BUT - I hit a snag at the last step, ie as I was mating the...
  32. D

@robjohn... Nice looking unit. I really like the simplicity of your panel and display!! My unit(s) are still being built on protoboards with hand wiring underneath. I'll be delighted to share my control/display software with you. However, it's continually being updated, and is not quite as...
  33. D

As promised, I'm back ;) .... @robjohn - To answer your questions: 1) No, I'm not using the Weaver SSB method here. Although I am very fond of it, I had too many problems with the Weaver method and the Teensy Audio Board - caused by the fact that it is AC coupled. (Of course, the board was...
  34. D

Hi everybody, Sorry for being so tardy in replying, but I've been away from the forum for a few weeks. However, I'm now back ;) There are several questions here, let me promise to get back to you tomorrow and address them as best I can overnight. Derek
  35. D

Bigger LCD : is it possible ?

@xerox, I guess you are working on a ham radio project - SWR/power meter? That's very interesting, I just started thinking about a Teensy 4 antenna-analyzer/auto-tuner/SWR meter myself, for after I finish my current project: a stand-alone T4 based WSPR encoder/transmitter. Like you I have...
  36. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

@loglow --- Hey Dan, For health reasons I've had to take a break from things Teensy over the past few weeks, and things got away from me. I am finally catching up and am delighted to see the progress you've made. Your "round one" board is still churning away 24/7 (with its couple of...
  37. D

Teensy 4.x H/W Quadrature Encoder Library

Excellent! However, I have been using the PJRC Encoder library successfully (no missing steps) with the T4 in an application with two encoders for several weeks now. Is there any reason to switch?
  38. D

Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

Hi Dan, Welcome back:D I presume you are aware of the two other break-outs that have been released over the past few weeks? Both use castellated cutouts to contact all of the under-board pads. A few of us have tried both successfully - for example, I did a quickie review of them here...
  39. D

Is there a third Teensy 4.0 breakout board?

Yesterday I received two packages in the mail, (a) more T4s to destroy, and (b) samples of FRDM4236's board. So I got to work and assembled two of my slightly modified (stretched) versions of Blackketter's board, and one of FRDM4236's board. The good news is that all three worked immediately...
  40. D

Another Teensy 4.0 Breakout Board

@dkryder, Don't think I gave up without trying :rolleyes: I sent a couple of hours trying to prise them apart... It was just not possible to heat the pins through both boards and extract the pins. In the end I even tried cutting through the breakout with a fine Dremel cut-off wheel to try to...
  41. D

My bad, in fact my very, very bad today:( :( :( So, I was all very pleased with myself this morning when I wired up breakout #2. Everything went swimmingly, I soldered all the castellations, installed the pin headers, remembered to cut the USB power jumper.... Fantastic! Just one thing...
  42. D

Well, I had a very pleasant and unexpected surprise today! I had ordered my modified versions of Blackketter's breakout board in 0.8mm thickness from OSHpark before we learned of the woes with those boards. They arrived today, and I was ready to toss the whole bunch, BUT, when I opened the...
  43. D

That would be fantastic, thank you very much. Yes, I'm in the USA (Mass). I'll PM you with the details. I've been getting quite frustrated lately because I've tested most of my code on the T4 in bits and pieces but I need to build a complete new prototyping system for the T4 with as many...
  44. D

Looks very good, and I'd certainly like to try it! I note you are using 0.8mm board thickness. Several of us have tried OSHpark with @blackketter's design with 0.8mm and found that routing of the castellated edges tore off the copper, rendering the boards useless. In addition they did not...
  45. D

Next questions: 1: What do think of Dan's (@loglow) SMD 2x5 header to connect to the lower board vs the castellated cut-out? Personally, having built many T3.6 breakouts from loglow, I like them. 2: How did Paul's flex cable socket on the sdio end T4 work out in the beta...
  46. D

Buzzing noise with audio line input from cap sensors

Sounds to me like a "ground-loop" caused by common currents in the power line connection. These can be real nasty to track down because they can be dependent on your wiring. I've had that problem from time to time, and now I use audio transformers in non critical cases to completely isolate...
  47. D

Hi guys - How did the pogo pins on Paul's beta breakouts work out - were they reliable? While playing around in KiCad this afternoon I started wondering if that might be the way to go???
  48. D

Michael, I'm very frustrated. I want/need to get going with using the T4 in real tasks, but unless I can get at all those pins, I'm stuck. I started to build a prototyping board this morning using the loglow beta breakout, but the thought that because that there is no assurance that the...
  49. D

SGTL5000 LineOut Impedance

I would think that this is a hardware problem, not a software problem, unless your sawtooth has a very, very low frequency. I don't follow what the sawtooth is actually doing in loop() is it just a loop counter? What do you expect its frequency to be? Is the output behavior the same at...
  50. D

Re thicker boards - you can purchase male headers with longer pins that will make the soldering easier on the top. I have a few with long pins on both sides. And it's relatively easy to move the pins up and down in the plastic rail - which I frequently do. I still need the the modded...
Back