Search results

1. M

Teensy 4.0 - how to connect a jtag debugger ?

Thanks Paul for the details. It's however unfortunate that teensy 4 didn't make easy hardware debugging a priority when it was clear that there was interest in 3.x chips (but it was hard and out of reach for most). From what I read so far, it seems that 4.x is no better and you can't just...
  2. M

LED Matrix driver for T4.0 using FlexIO parallel out, FlexPWM, DMA, & SmartLED shield

By the way, if you want more pixels to play with, those are the 128x64 panels I've bought and used: https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-128x64-Module-256mm128mm-256128mm/dp/B0869P1DCH They are ABCDE but they use FM6126A which needs the special init sequence that is now built in rpi-rgb-panel an out of...
  3. M

LED Matrix driver for T4.0 using FlexIO parallel out, FlexPWM, DMA, & SmartLED shield

Oh, and binary code emulation you mention, was actually first used in the adafruit driver. Sparkfun explains very nicely how it works here https://www.sparkfun.com/news/2650 also http://www.batsocks.co.uk/readme/art_bcm_1.htm In much simpler, I wrote one too for an 8x8 matrix...
  4. M

You are correct on all points. SmartMatrix doesn't go below 24bpp, but rpi-rgb-panel allows you to use fewer bits per color, to increase the refresh rate. If you're going to do serious work with rgbpanels, I greatly recommend you get yourself an rPi3 or rPi4 and look at the pi-rgb-panel code to...
  5. M

Nice work. I'll be interested to see what refresh rate you can get for 128x128 and if you can go above that. For anyone who needs higher resolutions, while still using arduino code, you can try https://github.com/marcmerlin/FastLED_RPIRGBPanel_GFX on rPi. More details here...
  6. M

Debugging strategies

Thanks for the details Paul, very helpful information.
  7. M

Debugging strategies

Mmmh, but this thread is 2.5 years old, and Paul knows about it and replied here. It's disappointing that teensy 4 made no apparent changes to make this easily possible, and worse, seems to have a design that still makes it difficult ("1062 MCU has a fuse blown which prevents it being used with...
  8. M

Debugging strategies

I don't understand, why would PJRC continue to purposely make debugging teensy hard? I've personally mostly switched to ESP32 because it has out of the box tracebacks and reliably serial output. I'm disappointed though as I was looking forward to teensy 4 to improve this :-/
  9. M

Well duh, the Teensy 3.6 is NOT 5v tolerant

Hi Paul, I generally get what you're saying, but the naive person in me is still wondering what it would cost to put some schottky diodes in front of each IO pin to act as voltage sinks if you exceed 3.5V, or whatever other protection, polyfuse, whatever. Or at the very worst, it would kill that...
  10. M

True that. My first mistake was using an expensive $90+ shipped fancy teensy 3.6 that was difficult to swap/replace, and in an application where I didn't even need it because 3.5 had just as much RAM.
  11. M

No offense to adafruit, but they are far from the cheapest source of ESP32s. If you look online, you'll find some in the $3.xx range. ESP8266 is supposed to resist to 5V (although not in spec) while ESP32 does not, but again, they're less than $5 and I don't have to solder to the back or buy a...
  12. M

Given that an ESP32 can be had for less than $5, is more capable for some things (although less capable for some others too), it's indeed disappointing to lose a $30 teensy to a single VUSB application to the wrong pin. In my case, I'm doubly sad, because I bought this...
  13. M

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I indeed read outdated pages that gave the wrong RAM amount.
  14. M

Sorry for getting off topic on the ESP32. It's actually the ESP8266 that is 5V tolerant despite its datasheet saying 3.3V max. The ESP32 can take 5V but only with a resistor to limit the current. Straight 5V from USB is supposed to also damage it. As for malloc on ESP32, indeed if you split your...
  15. M

"and it turns out they both have the same 256KB of RAM." Just to be clear on that tangent: I've always read that teensy 3.5 has 192KB or RAM while 3.6 has 256KB. I have a 320x240 24bpp framebuffer, which ends up being 225KB, so that only works with teensy 3.6, and not 3.5. Honestly all the extra...
  16. M

thanks both for your answers. Yes, I was aware that 5V was only there long enough to be stepped down to 3.3V, it's just easy-ish to mistakenly have it touch a pin that's close, and fry the whole chip. Thanks for correcting me that teensy 3.5 and 3.6 have the same amount of RAM, I forgot that...
  17. M

As for Paul's comment that level shifters are expensive and slow. Sure, I understand that, but 5v tolerance, is not level shifting, it's just not having the expensive chip destroy all of itself just because 5V appeared on one of its IO pins. I'd be fine with the chip shutting down in protection...
  18. M

Teensy serial debugging, am I doing this wrong?

Not, really, it had been stale for over a year, and I mistakenly thought at the time that FastLED had something to do with the ttyACM serial port on teensy working so poorly (for me at least). Since then I have confirmed 4 things 1) affects teensy 3.1 or 3.6 just the same 2) been broken over...
  19. M

Paul, is there is a 30 second timeout anywhere? Every time I strace this, I see a 30 second block I used this: sudo strace -e trace=file -tt -f -p 25658 Before: [pid 25709] 10:17:33.669150 lstat("/sys/class/tty/tty31", {st_mode=S_IFLNK|0777, st_size=0, ...}) = 0 [pid 25709] 10:17:33.669224...
  20. M

Ok, I've had so many issues with serial debugging on teensy chips (3.1/2 or 3.5/6), that I must be doing something wrong? My setup code normally looks like this #ifdef TEENSYDUINO delay(3000); #endif Serial.begin(115200); Serial.println(">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...
  21. M

Thanks. Just to be clear 1) push button 2) plug USB cable into computer/teensy 3) count 15 seconds 4) release button. If so, I got nothing visible from that. I also tried 1) plug USB 2) push button for 15 seconds 3) release button no difference either. Very disappointing to have the most...
  22. M

Ok, so I managed to mistakenly connect VUSB on a teensy 3.6 to an IO pin on the same chip. Since then, it sure doesn't work much anymore. If I plug in USB, I still see usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 117 using xhci_hcd but that's it, no ttyACM Is it dead, dead, or is there some chance...
  23. M

problems with arduino-1.8.5 + teensyduino-1.41 and serial on linux and FastLED

Sadly, still a problem with arduino-1.8.9-teensyduino-1.46 I get a 30-ish second delay every time I compile and have the serial console opened. Am I the only one seeing this? /var/local/arduino-1.8.9-teensyduino-1.46/hardware/teensy/../tools/teensy_post_compile -file=graphicstest.ino...
  24. M

SSD1332 and SSD1331 fast drivers

Hi, one question I didn't find a very good answer for. I had a look at https://github.com/sumotoy/SSD_13XX which has a benchmark table. It says beta 2 does a screenfill in 406us. Does it really mean that it can do 2463 frames per second? I'm getting 86fps with the current adafruit driver on...
  25. M

BUG stale lock: Unable find Teensy Loader. Is the Teensy Loader application running?

I don't, but typically I run strace -s 256 -f -p <pid> or strace -s 256 -f program If I only want fileio, I add -etrace=file
  26. M

BUG: 1.8.8-teensyduino-1.45 compiler bug: insn does not satisfy its constraints

Howdy, Fastest + Pure Code works Fastest with LTO works Fastest + Pure Code with LTO does not work I'm not looking for a fix, teenyduino does warn that those compile options can bring bugs, I'm just posting it here in case it's useful PatternFlock.h:69: error: insn does not satisfy its...
  27. M

BUG stale lock: Unable find Teensy Loader. Is the Teensy Loader application running?

On linux, arduino-1.8.8-teensyduino-1.45, my teensy was working until today when I kept getting Opening Teensy Loader... Unable find Teensy Loader. (p) Is the Teensy Loader application running? I restarted arduino-teensy, still no dice. Then I tried to start...
  28. M

Teensyduino 1.42 Beta #3

I tested beta3 as you requested (over 1.41), and it didn't work at all for me, arduino IDE won't even start. Detail here: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/50525-problems-with-arduino-1-8-5-teensyduino-1-41-and-serial-on-linux-and-FastLED?p=175269&viewfull=1#post175269
  29. M

So, I just tried 1.42 beta and it's actually worse, the arduino IDE won't even start. My kernel is 4.15.6, which is likely newer than yours and it seems that your code loops around Going back to arduino 1.8.5 without your patch is fine, and using teensyduino 1.41 has the problem on recompile...
  30. M

Thanks for the reply. I have debian/testing. Will try your beta (I was using the latest release version) and report back. Marc
  31. M

Another vexing problem with FastLED (lastest version): code hangs on show()

Hi Paul, sorry that it took a long time for me to get back to you on this. The more I looked into it, the more it looked like an obscure library or compiler bug that I just didn't have a reasonable chance to debug without a real debugger, which we still don't have :( Sadly, printf debugging...
  32. M

So, I did more testing, this problem seems to happen even if stop the FastLED.show() calls. The only fixes are either 1) close the serial terminal before I click 'compile/upload' 2) strace the arduino process, and that reliably unhangs it I don't have this problem with other chips using ttyUSB0...
  33. M

Yeah Paul, trimming obviously helps, sorry about that. While doing more debugging, I included FastLED demo code within my own code to see if that demo would work and then my code would work or not. While doing this, I think I narrowed it down to replacing CFastLED::show() with FastLED.show()...
  34. M

Debugging strategies

Thanks KurtE. Yes, I agree that something seems to be toggled in hardware, and seems to survive a reprogram but not a power cycle. That said, I've gotten that trick to only work twice on teensy3.6, which it works almost reliably on teensy 3.1 (doing the exact same steps). That's why I'm thinking...
  35. M

As more debugging, I've confirmed that I have the same problem with teensy 3.6. Fastled.show() hangs for a very long time, but actually succeeds eventually. If I let it run long enough, I can get my subsequent show() commands to run, but they take maybe 30mn each. In the process, it also seems...
  36. M

Debugging strategies

So, I've just verified the same behaviour with teensy 3.6, my code hangs on the first fastled.show() and if I send code that uses adafruit.neopixel.show() instead, that code works, and then allows my fastled.show() code to work afterwards when I flash it. How can code from one sketch affect the...
  37. M

Debugging strategies

So, we're about another year later now. I have this vexing FastLED problem to debug https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/50526-Another-vexing-problem-with-FastLED-(lastest-version)-code-hangs-on-show()?p=172951#post172951 and Serial.print just doesn't look like it's going to be doing it :-/ I just...
  38. M

I've posted more details on https://plus.google.com/+MarcMERLIN/posts/7ib5usMxzTY since I was able to reproduce on some other MCUs, while some on others like ESP8266, it "just works". I so wish I had better debugging than printf right now :-/
  39. M

Thanks pictographer. I tried with fastled release, fastled from teensyduino, and fastled TOT git. Same problem with all 3, sadly.
  40. M

As further debug, I removed all the Serial.printxx commands from my code and the same problem happens. I then let it run for 4H while I was away, and it was able to run the show() command 16 times, or about once after 15 minutes. So basically I was wrong when I said it hangs, it just runs very...
  41. M

This one makes no sense: 1) my code only works if I upload other code before that also talks to my neomatrix, let's say https://github.com/marcmerlin/Adafruit_NeoMatrix/blob/master/examples/MatrixGFXDemo/MatrixGFXDemo.ino this one talks to adafruit's neopixel code. I upload, that code works...
  42. M

Why install libraries along with teensy support?

Thanks for the answer Paul. Given where we are today, would it make sense to only include libraries that are different/better in teensyduino at the time it's released? Or is that already the case?
  43. M

Just for testing, I used another board I had lying around, a teensy 3.2 and I have the same problem. I'm guessing FastLED puts the board in a state that serial queries to it hang or upset the IDE in a way?
  44. M

I had this problem with an older version of the arduino lib, and teensyduino. I just upgraded both and it's still there. platform: linux debian kernel 4.15, teensy 3.1 My code is here: https://github.com/marcmerlin/FastLED_NeoMatrix/blob/master/examples/MatrixGFXDemo/MatrixGFXDemo.ino First...
  45. M

Why install libraries along with teensy support?

Howdy, https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html says " Teensyduino can automatically install many libraries that are tested and verified to work with Teensy. Usually it's best to allow the installer to add them all." Let's say I let it install its own copy of FastLED. Why would I do this...
  46. M

How to download animated GIFs onto a 16x16 WS2812B using Processing and Teensy 3.1

the page was deleted, but you can find an old copy here: https://web.archive.org/web/20141110124023/http://www.themeu.net/downloading-animated-gifs-onto-meu/ which mostly points to this video https://blog.adafruit.com/2014/11/10/displaying-animated-gifs-onto-a-16-x-16-ws2812b-matrix/
  47. M

How to count time when interrupts are disabled?

Thank you for the tip. Once read, can I reset the counter? Thanks Marc
  48. M

How to count time when interrupts are disabled?

I have code like this before = millis() leds.show() (using adafruit neopixel or FastLED libraries) Serial.println(millis() - before) Because both libraries when they talk to neopixels, have to disable interrupts for some amount of time, millis() does not increment, and therefore I get the wrong...
Back