Search results

1. C

3.6 USB MIDI host to 5 pin adapter

Hey folks, I have a teensy 3.6 board and a couple panel mount 5 pin DINs. I would like to build an adapter that will take MIDI over USB messages from my teensy based synths (USB midi only) to my korg ms 20 (MIDI 5 pin DIN). I suspect this project has been done before, anyone have some source...
  2. C

Looking for ideas on how to convert sound to spring motion

Here is a little video for context. This is after a light thunk, it is a great spring and will go for a while on its own. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gwMee9HnDmcTCkj66 After all of the suggestions I am leaning towards doing some sort of solenoid or stepper motor attached to something with some...
  3. C

output voltage range for audio projects

by "hot" I meant high voltage. Bad word selection on my part! How do a compute my impedance out?
  4. C

output voltage range for audio projects

Hey folks I am working on a mixer for a modular-esque synth that uses a combo of Teensy audio library and a 40106 based oscillator. The chip oscillator comes in pretty hot (im using a 5v power supply) compared to the teensy, which is fine but in playing around with resistors and potentiometers...
  5. C

I thought about that, but the way that the chassis is laid out I am not sure how it would work. I was thinking of maybe pulling the voice coil from a big speaker and then mounting some sort of magnet on the head for more of a magnetic drive, but I dont think I can get enough flux in the voice...
  6. C

Hey folks, I am working on a synth chassis that has a goat skull mounted on an upholstery spring (like a bobblehead). I am looking for it to have subtle nods that are correlated to what is happening in the music. My first idea was to do some sort of beat detection and drive a stepper motor with...
  7. C

large diffused LED suggestion for back-lighting a logo cut out?

nevermind i found something https://www.adafruit.com/product/1621
  8. C

large diffused LED suggestion for back-lighting a logo cut out?

Hey folks im working on rev3 of my chromatic button synth. It has a metal chassis and I had my logo shape (camoose, half camel half moose) cut out and I want to illuminate it with a blue LED. For the last version I drilled a hole in the bottom of the metal shot glass that ships with Tin Cup...
  9. C

SPI on an LC questions

I am trying to do this tutorial but on an LC instead of a Uno: https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/mariogianota/the-ad9833-dds-signal-generator-and-arduino-uno-9286e3 The tutorial defines the interface pins as the SPI clock, SPI data, and the SPI Load. On the LC there seems to be two separate...
  10. C

panel mount USB-B female to micro male cables?

I remember for projects past I had ordered a short cable from the PJRC store that had these connections. My chassis CAD is already designed around that panel mount and the two mounting screws. I am not seeing them now, no longer available or maybe Im just dense???
  11. C

USB Midi host on 4.1

Hey folks I am tacking version 3 of my chromatic button synth and I want to separate the keyboard from the synth Obviously looking at midi as the interface. I would like to be able to use both 5-pin and USB midi so I can also incorporate a korg nanoKONTROL for manipulating synth tones or run...
  12. C

Looking for component advise for a photoelectric driven audio controller

Good day folks, I have done a couple Teensy audio projects. I am ok with the coding but my understanding of the different electric components is still pretty rudimentary. Posting here instead of the audio chat because i do not think there is anything audio-specific about my project. I have an...
  13. C

stepper motor recommendation

Im getting ready to dig into my 7th or 8th project, but this will be the first one with movement. My plan is to use a couple of stepper motors to lift a spring loaded beater of some sort and have it thunk the chassis of the project to make a percussive noise. the stepper will rotate 180 degrees...
  14. C

Are resistors needed with rotary encoders?

I picked up a couple ec11 rotary encoders and have been using the encoder library and things were working great but now they are not, turning the knob causes my teensy LC to reboot. I did not have any resistors on the power feed to the encoder, maybe I should have? If so how would I size these...
  15. C

Testing audio shield vs PT8211 vs on-board DAC for audio synthesis

Yeah I thought about trying a different I2S board. But to be honest if I can get the sound quality that works for me out of the PT8211 then it would be hard for me to switch. The great thing about the teensy and the audio libraries is that it all just kinda works.
  16. C

anecdotally I have noticed that is the biggest difference with the onboard DAC is that it starts breaking up with more then 3 notes, for the audio shield I can get get up to 8 (have not tried more yet). It could be something in the way I am coding it. I will make sure to include source code for...
  17. C

Hey folks, I want to get some better data on what the real implications of the different solutions for getting audio signals from a teensy-based synth build. My idea is to use my first three builds, one which uses the onboard DAC on a 3.6, one that uses a 3.2 with the PT8211, and one that uses a...
  18. C

how can I use AudioEffectEnvelope::isActive ??

figured it out, I was missing the parenthesis if ( ! envelope[i].isActive() )
  19. C

how can I use AudioEffectEnvelope::isActive ??

I have an array of envelopes, and I want to look through them to find one that is not active. Below is the snippet. The error I am getting is "cannot convert 'AudioEffectEnvelope::isActive' from type 'bool (AudioEffectEnvelope::)()' to type 'bool'" How do I use the isActive value in a...
  20. C

high level question- commercial 'analog' synths compared to audio library

Super helpful, thanks! What sort of integrated circuit would produce a purely analog wave? I just do not know much about it.
  21. C

high level question- commercial 'analog' synths compared to audio library

I went to the city last week and was chillin at the music stop and I noticed a lot of newer synths like the moog grandmother and the roland SE-02 that were marketed as being analog which confused me. To me an analog synth would have some sort of mechanical or tube oscillator. I am guessing all...
  22. C

looking for advice on how to make a chassis cutout glow with LED

Thanks for the inspiration. Here is my go, I took the shot measuring cap that comes with tincup whisky, cut it down a little, tucked some tin foil in the bottom, and mounted the LED in there. THen I filled the remaining 1 1/2 inches with hot glue and scuffed it up. Worked pretty good!
  23. C

looking for advice on how to make a chassis cutout glow with LED

Working on a synth, when I had the laser cutter do all of my switch cut outs I also had them make a little logo. I sometimes book shows as 'Blue Camoose' so I wanted to have a camel/moose hybrid shape with a blue light behind it. It turned out well (see pic). Less then 1" wide. Im curious if...
  24. C

organ foot pedal MIDI controller- switch ideas?

Hey folks I got it put together, here is a couple pics. The orange foot pedals are (at least now) programmed to give me a 5th above or a 4th below the last note played. (how many bass players does it take to change a light bulb? 1,5,1,5) https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ePFsnvPmH8WpM6X6...
  25. C

looking for solenoid advice for woodblock metronome project

So it is probably unrealistic to fire solenoids just using the power lead on an arduino board? I cant seem to find anyone that has done it before :(
  26. C

looking for solenoid advice for woodblock metronome project

Im looking to build a metronome that can do some odd time signatures. I envision the project will reside in a wood shell with a metal panel that has controls mounted on it and two solenoids that hit different faces of the wood shell to get 2 different sounds. The whole thing should be about the...
  27. C

measurement discrepancies when using multiple potentiometers?

working on a synth build, I wanted to have the ability to quickly choose a different sound or a different octave so I decided I would get potentiometers that have 11 dentants (clicking points). That way I can switch between 11 different scenarios with just using one analog pin. It just took a...
  28. C

Board advice for synth project. Does 4.0 make sense?

Thanks Micheal. This is really helpful (especially after I researched some of these protocols that I do not know much about!) I guess what it comes down to for me is the most likely scenario is that I would be interfacing I2S to some sort of external DAC. The amplifier is not that intriguing to...
  29. C

Board advice for synth project. Does 4.0 make sense?

I am trying to choose a board for my next synth. For the first one (https://hackaday.io/project/163160-chromatic-button-synth) I just used one of the DAC channels on the 3.6. It is just doing simple wave form synthesis. When I play more then 3 or 4 notes at the same time things get pretty...
  30. C

best strategy for connecting hook up wires to male 2.54mm pins in a build

I have a newbie question, please feel free to point me to existing resources. I have been googling for a while and not found what I was looking for. I have been building a couple synths. I end up with a teensy board using the double header with an audio shield which leaves male pins for the...
  31. C

I had a morely volume pedal from the 70s that used a photoresistor instead of a rotary potentiometer. with an incandescent appliance bulb! interesting idea but the dust thing would make calibration difficult. I am leaning towards some combination of the 16mm panel mount pushbutton switches...
  32. C

I was able to do velocity sensitive on the hammond. It had a global switch that engaged before the switches on the keys. I hated it just because the difference in the keys felt like I was getting random volumes. I probably could have tamed it but instead I just turned it off. but I am...
  33. C

I built a midi controller using a 50s hammond 12 key foot keyboard. However the factory switches used these plastic pushers and after 60 years the plastic is breaking down and many of the switches no longer engage. I am taking it as an opportunity to shed 5 or 6 pounds and a bunch of lead...
  34. C

Im struggling with MIDI volume changes - 10 line code sample attached

I am having trouble sending volume changes over USB Midi. I was expecting this example to play a note (midi 68 = Bb I think) then increase it from a volume of 0 to 127 then cut it out for 2 seconds. However I can not hear any volume change, just the start and a steady tone for about 5 seconds...
  35. C

Using PT8211 without the headphone jack

I figured this out, I had the chip soldered in facing the wrong direction. I installed a new one and its all good. Thanks!
  36. C

Using PT8211 without the headphone jack

I assembled a PT8211 and connected to a 3.2 board. I did not install the headphone jack, instead I hookup some some wires to see if I can figure out how to reroute it to a panel-mount 1/4 jack. Based on a little time with the jack and a 2.5mm TRS male to male cord I deduced that I would get...
  37. C

newbie struggling to get stereo synthesis out of audio shield

OK, I tried some different headphones and I was able to isolate the different channels. There must have been something getting summed in the first pair. But I am still unable to get anything out of the left LINE OUT. If the LINE OUT pinout on the audio shield is labeled like this: L P1...
  38. C

Hey Paul I caught that also. I fixed it and even changed the frequency on one of the wave forms. What is happening is 1) via the embedded headphone jack on the audio shield I get each channel of the i2s1 equally in both ears. In other words it is a mono signal 2) Via the Line out pins on the...
  39. C

Based on my research, I understand that the 0 and 1 channels on a AudioOutputI2S would be the right and left audio output. This is a teensy 3.6 board with the audio shield However my experiment is suggesting otherwise, this code beeps in both 'ears' each time instead of alternating. I also...
  40. C

LInux install problems

I went for the 1.46-beta7, so far so good. Thanks!!
  41. C

LInux install problems

I am running a fresh install of Ubuntu studio. I 1) downloaded an installed the arduino IDE for Linux 64 2) downloaded the udev rules file and copied it to the rules.d directory 3) Downloaded the teensy installer and ran it in the same directory as my ardunio install. it appeared to work 4)...
  42. C

Get audio out from a MIDI controller when it is not hooked to a computer?

Yeah I commented out the wait for the Serial to hookup, but it still will not work unless I have it hooked up to a computer. I am hoping that I can just use a USB power supply when I am not doing MIDI. still stuck...
  43. C

Get audio out from a MIDI controller when it is not hooked to a computer?

My instrument has both MIDI and audio out functionality. However the audio out is not working unless it is hooked up to a computer, unless I change the board type to something else then it no longer works as a MIDI controller. What do I need to do so it will work both when I am just using the...
  44. C

I think the audio shield would help with my distortion (demo video)

Here the project you all have been helping me with. Thanks!!! I think I need to upgrade to a board with the audio shield so I do not get the distortion when I am running multiple tones at the same time. Running through an envelope helped but it could be better. Also I want to play around with...
  45. C

polyphonic pitch and/or volume changing

For my musical instrument I have an analog joystick where I want to put volume on one axis and pitch shift on the other. I think I have it figured out for midi CC messages but not for audio out. I have seen in the examples where I can modify the frequency of a note but what about the frequency...
  46. C

polyphonic code example

Nevermind, i found it. I had to have separate channels as the input to the mixer. #include <Audio.h> #include <Wire.h> AudioSynthWaveform waveform1; AudioSynthWaveform waveform2; AudioMixer4 mixer1; AudioOutputAnalogStereo dacs1; AudioConnection...
  47. C

polyphonic code example

I am experimenting with multiple notes, here is my code example. I would think that it would play one note, then the other note on top of it, then be silent. But when waveform2 starts waveform1 turns off. Any pointers? Teensy 3.6 board with no audio shield #include <Audio.h> #include...
  48. C

Audio board or no Audio board?

It is for the actual application (not breadboarding), I was planning on soldering the wires from my switch matrix directly to the teensy board im not sure how to do that if I use the audio board and the headers. Do I try and cut the header pins out of the way for the spots that the audio board...
  49. C

Lots of great info, much appreciated! Another basic thing that I am confused about, the audio board has a pinout and it is not using all of the pins on the teensy. But if you solder it up with the header pins then it seems to me that those spots on the teensy will no longer be available. How...
  50. C

Greetings, I have built a 65 button midi controller and I want to add audio out. I have been checking out the Teensy audio library and there are some basics I am not understanding. For my application I want to be able to a. Generate audio waves at given frequencies b. Change the amplitude of...
Back