Search results

1. KD0RC

EncoderTool

OK, I will give it a try.
  2. KD0RC

EncoderTool

@luni, have you considered adding support for the I2C 23017 multiplexer? I am using them in a Pi Pico W project (Adafruit MCP 23017 GPIO Expander). If successful, I will probably port them over to my Teensy 4.1 project that is currently using CD74HC4067 multiplexers (burning too many GPIO...
  3. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 with HX8357 display issue

The pinouts can be found on the Adafruit website. They show you how to connect using SPI or the parallel interface.
  4. KD0RC

T4.1 Ethernet Library

The library that you need is: #include "NativeEthernet.h" I don't think you need the init. Here is a chunk of what I do: In setup(), I call getIpAddress. addr is a String variable and contains the IP address once it si obtained from DHCP. void getIpAddress() { // start the Ethernet...
  5. KD0RC

Teensy 4.0 with external power

Cutting the pads apart then requires that you power the Teensy from a separate (not USB) supply. The idea is to allow you to have USB connectivity while powering the board separately using Vin without the problems of two power sources connected together.
  6. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 simple button interference

You might want to try bypassing pin 34 with a .01 or .1 uf capacitor (10 or 100 nf). It may be RF interference riding in on your ground line.
  7. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 SD Card use

Hi Cliff, where do you declare chipSelect? It should be declared in the first part of your program before anything that needs it. If that is not it, post a more complete example of your code so that we can better help. Len
  8. KD0RC

ILI9341 Display craziness after long run between screen refreshes

I had a similar problem with my Teensy 4.1 and Adafruit HX8357 display. It went to inverse colors and a mirrored image. It turned out to be a loose connection. I reseated the connectors and the problem went away.
  9. KD0RC

[posted] TeensyMaestro - Teensy 4.1 Controller for Flex 6000 ham radios

Humble beginnings... Rat's nest (hey - it works...)
  10. KD0RC

[posted] TeensyMaestro - Teensy 4.1 Controller for Flex 6000 ham radios

Here is a GitHub link to my Teensy 4.1 based ham radio controller. It controls a Flex 6000 series Software Defined Radio over TCP/IP. My version of the radio has no front panel controls except for a power button. It is designed to be controlled by a computer or by a Flex "Maestro". I did not...
  11. KD0RC

Teensy2.0 pinouts and Rotary Encoders

@Sprool You may want to move up to a Teensy 4.1. I am running 9 mechanical and two optical encoders as well as 19 buttons (using two MUX boards from SparkFun). All encoders use interrupt pins and they are all very reliable. @Luni has written an encoder library (EncoderTool) that allows the...
  12. KD0RC

Teensy4.1 Encoder-Problems

Good to know that you support multiplexed encoders. I got that question recently from a guy who is considering replicating my controller. I will pass the EncoderTool information on to him. Thanks again! Len
  13. KD0RC

Hi luni, Thanks for the information. On the unit that I built, I use 1:1 encoders from Leo Bodnar in England. My buddy built one with Bourns PEC-11 4:1 encoders. No problem with encoder jitter from either encoder. I am indeed using the encoders for things like volume. It is a radio...
  14. KD0RC

@Micki, you get two value increments per detent click because your encoder is a 2:1 encoder. There are also 4:1 encoders that jump 4 values per click. To solve this problem, I multiply or divide by the number of steps that the encoder uses. In my radio application, I can read any kind of...
  15. KD0RC

Teensy 4.0 FOR statement not working

Not a C fan either... I grew up on a mainframe using PL/I, Fortran and COBOL... The main working components of your program need to be either within the braces of setup, or within the braces of loop. In this case putting it in loop is appropriate so that it continues to blink. Constants are...
  16. KD0RC

@Micki What kind of encoder do you have? Is it an incremental or absolute? When you show a data and clock line, that implies an absolute position encoder. If it is a mechanical switch type, then it is likely an incremental unit and should work with Paul's Encoder.h library. Len
  17. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 ON/OFF Pin Access/Use

Hi Frank, Yep, it looks like the times are preset as I look at your library code. The trick is that by using a null callback, you can cheat and get an immediate shutdown (can't remember where I found that tidbit). For many applications (most?) that is not desirable. But for mine, some folks...
  18. KD0RC

Well, I found something very interesting. If I put these statements in setup, I get the elusive reset button! A push of the on/off button turns the T4 off and then right back on. If I set press_on_time to 50 ms or higher, then I get an on/off switch that uses short presses of the button. Now...
  19. KD0RC

It looks like there are 4 possible button hold down times for powering off the T4 - 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec or turn off the ability to power off using the on/off button. I am able to set these and they work as advertised, so all good from that perspective. I was hoping for a shorter off time...
  20. KD0RC

RA8875 from Buydisplay

The problem with my method is that rapidly changing values can induce flicker. Another approach is to save the current value of each character or characters to be updated. At update time, rewrite the old value in background color, then write the new value. If the characters have variable...
  21. KD0RC

RA8875 from Buydisplay

I think the problem you are having is that new characters just overlay what is already on the screen. Here is a typical thing that I do to clear the portion of the screen in preparation for new characters: tft.fillRect(0, 290, 110, 20, HX8357_BLACK); // Blank slate for new value...
  22. KD0RC

hex file too large message

Thanks Frank, I appreciate it! It is the aluminum panel that came with the box. I drilled it and cut the display window with an old-school nibbling tool. The graphics are just printed on plain paper with .015 inch thick clear PVC sheet from the hardware store on top. I cut the paper and PVC...
  23. KD0RC

Very cool, thanks Paul. I'm not sure how much attention my project will ultimately get, but the simple, straightforward operation of the Teensy.exe loader is priceless in terms of support time required.
  24. KD0RC

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. Now that I understand the symptoms, I will be better prepared to help others with this project going forward. I will add this to the troubleshooting section of the user manual. Len
  25. KD0RC

I recently completed a project using a Teensy 4.1. Works great. A friend of mine duplicated it. Also works great. Another person is duplicating it but can't get the hex file to load. Hovering the mouse over the file name in Teensy.exe gives the message filename.hex (too large!) The verbose...
  26. KD0RC

Thanks @defragster! I finally have a way to software reset the Teensy! I have been looking for this for a while so that people don't have to keep unplugging to reset the Teensy if they power cycle the connected SDR radio or have a glitch in their router. @FrankB - Nice library, thanks! Len
  27. KD0RC

Hi Neal, This thread should have the info you need. https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/65716-Teensy-4-x-where-to-find-documentation-about-the-throughhole-contacts-in-the-middle Len
  28. KD0RC

4.1 HW Encoder (more questions)

Hi Scott, not being familiar with the encoder you are using, it looks like QuadEncoder myEnc1(1, 1, 0, 0, 4); does not have enough parameters. You are on channel 1, Phase A pin 1, Phase B pin 0 (unused??), pin pus 0, Index pin 4. Home and trigger pins default to 255 (unused). I think you...
  29. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 - CPU Heat Limits

My T 4.1 has been running non-stop for a little over 10 hours in a 70-ish degree F room. At 528 MHz, it ran about 58 deg C. At 150 MHz it looked to stabilize around 54 deg C (not too scientific - I did not wait long for the temp to stabilize, I just marked the value when it stopped changing)...
  30. KD0RC

Thanks for the information. My Teensy is indeed in its permanent location in an enclosure. I will add some code to look at temps over the course of a day. Even when in heavy use, the MCU is mostly just looking for button pushes, encoder updates and ethernet traffic. I doubt it is getting too...
  31. KD0RC

Very interesting discussion... I just moved my clock speed down to 528 MHz, and for my application (provides buttons and knobs for a Flex SDR radio), I see no difference in performance. Since my gizmo is not likely to be on more than a few hours a day, it should last for eons. I did not see...
  32. KD0RC

ILI9341_t3n and 2x Screens on SPI1 - Flashing

Have you tried increasing the SPI clock speed? I did that with an HX8357 display by passing the SPI clock speed in the begin. tft_Track.begin(30000000) to set it to 30MHz for example. You will need to look at the ILI9341_t3n library to verify that you can set the clock this way. Mine works up...
  33. KD0RC

Teensy 4.x where to find documentation about the throughhole-contacts in the middle

Hi Michael, I think the pin you have as Reset is actually the programming button. It does not reset (the on/off does that sort of...) but puts the 4.1 into programming mode. If held for 15 seconds, it clears flash and re-loads the blink app. I think the on/off needs 4 seconds to turn it off...
  34. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet Kit: Sometimes link light not flashing --> no ethernet

Hi Jimmie, in my app, I set up the serial port, then the SD Card, then the ethernet (using NativeEthernet.h), so I don't think that is it. I do it in this order to allow me to get ethernet config info (IP address) from the SD card. Len
  35. KD0RC

HX8357 SPI frequency with Teensy 4.1 (re-post from Adafruit forum)

I am trying to understand the proper SPI frequency to use with an Adafruit HX8357 and a Teensy 4.1. I am using the Teensy libraries and currently have SPIClock set to 40 MHz. This works great on my project. I have a friend who is duplicating the project and is using the same components from the...
  36. KD0RC

Nevermind, I solved it. After adding the tft reset that I thought fixed the problem, it started happening again. I began to suspect the SPI clock speed, and changed my tft.begin(); to tft.begin(30000000);. Instant success! Len
  37. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 issues with Serial after wiring error

Excellent, glad you found the issue!
  38. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 issues with Serial after wiring error

Hi Leonardo, have you tested it without the sensor attached? If the sensor is damaged, that may cause the issues you see. Len
  39. KD0RC

Hi Kurt E, I have a Teensy 4.1/Adafruit HX8357 project that uses your excellent HX8357_t3n.h library. My project is nearly done and working well (I'm at the code clean-up and documentation phase...). A couple of days ago, the display would occasionally fail to start properly, then the problem...
  40. KD0RC

Detect Whether SD Card Has Been Unplugged Teensy 4.1

Hi grinch, Here is how I deal with it: /***************************** GetConfigFile ***************************/ void GetConfigFile() { if(MenuActive) { tft.fillScreen(HX8357_NAVY); tft.setTextColor(HX8357_YELLOW); tft.setCursor(0, 0); tft.setFont(Arial_18_Bold)...
  41. KD0RC

teensy 4.1 max VIn voltage

Seems like a 5.1 V zener diode would take care of the problem.
  42. KD0RC

Encoders jumping positive

@borogove, I have had that same problem, and in every case it has been a poor connection. You might want to be sure that your wiring is solid on the encoders causing issues.
  43. KD0RC

Compiler directive to select board

Thanks for all the discussion and ideas. It sounds like the easiest thing is to just live with it. Seems like a funny limitation...
  44. KD0RC

I edit and compile from the Arduino (Teensyduino) IDE. It gives me quick access to everything, including the serial console. My technique is to code a little, test a little, so I like staying in the IDE.
  45. KD0RC

Thanks for the response BriComp. I am not trying to compile one program for multiple boards. Each of my boards has its own code. I was hoping that there was a compiler directive that would allow me to set the board at the project or program level so that I don't have to remember to change the...
  46. KD0RC

Lately, I have been playing with several Teensy boards (3.6, LC, 4.0, 4.1), often hooked together. Tweaking code back and forth means having to remember to set the board correctly every time. Is there a compiler directive that can be used to set board type? Thanks, Len
  47. KD0RC

Teensy 4.1 - Using the internal flash memory

Hi Sean, data can be stored in flash memory. Look up PROGMEM in the Arduino reference to see how it works. I don't know the relative speeds of SD card vs flash memory, but you could write a quick program to time some reads and writes to get your answer. EDIT: My bad... You can only write...
  48. KD0RC

fillTriange issue with screen or buffer size?

Hmmm... So the fillTriangle without the canvas works? I am unfamiliar with the canvas, but maybe that is the place to look. Could the x and y parms be backwards in the canvas?
  49. KD0RC

fillTriange issue with screen or buffer size?

On the fillTriangle, change 272 to 320 and see if that helps.
Back