LED limits on Teensy 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emintzer

Hey guys-

On PRJC it states you can run 8864 leds on a single teensy 3.1 at 30Hz. I also recall seeing elsewhere that you can only run 240 LEDs per pin? Is this 240 limit true on the Teensy 3.1, or can you have 1000+ LEDs on a single pin out?

Thanks!

I have personally tested 4320 LEDs (540 per pin) on a Teensy 3.1. It worked great, with quite a bit of extra CPU time free. Details here:

http://community.arm.com/groups/embedded/blog/2014/05/23/led-video-panel-at-maker-faire-2014

So far, I have not heard of any confirmed reports of anyone actually trying to push close to the theoretical 8864 LED limit. If you do try it, please report your results?

But really, few people have much motivation to risk push those limits. Teensy 3.1 and the Octo28 board are inexpensive compared to 4000+ LEDs, and power supplies, and other building materials normally used. It's easy to focus on the Teensy part, because it's so important from a technology point of view. But in terms of cost and size, it's usually the smallest part of any large LED project.

Hmm thanks Paul. I am trying to send data across very long 30+meter strips. Assuming I am sending good voltage throughout the strips, do you forsee any data issues with sending 2000+ pixels on a single pin/teensy?

Well, one obvious problem would be memory, if you're using OctoWS2811.

Code:
DMAMEM int displayMemory[ledsPerPin*6];
int drawingMemory[ledsPerPin*6];

If ledsPerPin is 2000, those 2 arrays are more than Teensy 3.1's entire RAM. This won't even compile. Did you try?

There are also physical electrical challenges with such long strips, which are independent of Teensy or any software.

It's difficult to help you without knowing more context behind these questions. Do you even have the 30+ meters of LEDs, or are these questions purely preliminary planning before you've even purchased anything? Do you have the LEDs wired up, partially working, or not working at all, or giving you some specific type of trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back