Search results

1. visualSound

GeoPix LED Pixel Mapper software - officially supports the teensy 3.1 !

Depends on the frame rate, but in all my tests, a single usb circuit / card in a computer seems to be able to handle between 3-4 teensys (3200 pixels each) at 60 fps. the data rates don't add up, on paper it seems like everything should be able to handle more but what always happens is the...
  2. visualSound

Hey everyone - sorry for dropping the ball on the thread, to answer a few of your questions definitively: 1) yep the 3.2 would be supported exactly how it was supported on GeoPix 0.9. Though I will probably have some flexibility for how many outputs and pixels per output in case users have...
  3. visualSound

A few questions about teensy 3.6 , leds , and ethernet

Epyon, Thanks for the additional information. I'll research more via that link and other places. Sounds like 24 mhz low end aka 3 megabytes/s? That's quite a few leds and more than I think would be necessary for 1 teensy. If anyone has more info on potential support for the additional dma...
  4. visualSound

Hi Epyon, Thanks for the reply! This helps a lot. I've found this data sheet/page on the w5500: http://www.wiznet.io/product-item/w5500/ I'm reading this: Am I correct to assume this translates into 80 mbps aka 12.5 Mb/s? I imagine the teensy 3.6 would not be a bottleneck here assuming all I...
  5. visualSound

Hi everyone! I've been off this forum for a couple years and right now I'm just getting my self up to speed about the 3.6 and it's led driving capabilities - I've used the 3.2 heavily until the last couple years with the octo adapter board etc and had great results but hit a pretty consistent...
  6. visualSound

Hey everyone, I've been a huge fan of the teensy for years as a pixel controller and I wanted to tell you all about some pixel mapping software I've just publicly released that officially supports the teensy 3.1 as a pixel controller preset. GeoPix is a piece of software dedicated purely to...
  7. visualSound

Trouble wrapping my head around some parts of movie2serial PDE

So a bit of a follow up on my last post - I still had that data structure wrong. The library is setup to simplify addressing the led's by making them led 0-n however the int array "drawingMemory" is setup to have the pixel1 of strips 1-8, then pixel2 of strips 1-8, so on, I didn't catch on to...
  8. visualSound

Paul, So I've been doing some more reading on binary / bytes / ints etc and have a bit clearer of an idea on how that works if only slightly. Some of this might be common sense but I want to make sure I am on the right track here.. I checked the size of an int on the teensy3.1 using sizeof()...
  9. visualSound

defragster, no I have the videoDisplay\processing file and I've been picking it apart - I was referring to what Paul said in the above quote. Basically I'm trying to make a simplified version of the method named image2data that's in that processing sketch... something that works with out...
  10. visualSound

Any chance I could get a link to that conversion patch? Would love to take a look at it and see how it works / try to integrate it.
  11. visualSound

Pixelmapped Euphoria Festival main Archway!

Thanks Paul! Actually I only used about a foot of cat6 and cut / crimped it to the thicker matte black cables coiled on the table next to it, merging data and power into one cable. There were 8 of those 10 ft extension cable to go from the box to led's using some basic 12 awg 3 conductor with...
  12. visualSound

Pixelmapped Euphoria Festival main Archway!

Hey everyone, first project that reached a music festival, featuring a geometric steel structure with led tubes attached to it. The entire thing was pixel mapped using a 3d model of the arch and Touch designer and a Brix mini computer for size in a 3d printed enclosure that repelled rain and...
  13. visualSound

Got ya, That's super helpful thank you Paul. Is it possible to format that 24 byte segment with out diving into the lower level stuff you're talking about? Or is it not as simple as "put the rgb bytes here and the other bytes there".. Meantime I will revisit the bit of code that converts 8...
  14. visualSound

Paul, In my simplified processing sketch, I'm building an array that contains 3 bytes for every pixel. r1,g1,b1,r2,g2,b2,r3,g3,b3 etc.. Is this not how the "drawingMemory" array is structured on the receiving end? Are there extra bytes that i'm missing? How should I structure my byte data...
  15. visualSound

Bumping this thread! Any one have any input on how to get this working properly? Post # 10 shows the most simplified version of my problem, where Processing is sending serial over to Teensy 3.1 using the above code. - Why does reading serial data directly into the drawingMemory array/buffer...
  16. visualSound

Artnet to OctoWS2811?

@ quadbyte Do let us know how that turns out! I have seemed to hit the same bottleneck at roughly the same number of universes. Would be great to know that has more room to grow in terms of led counts per teensy.
  17. visualSound

Teensy 3.1 + sdCard adapter + wiz820io + 1 SPI output for leds?

Yes I'm aware of the speed differences and honestly software SPI doesn't sound so bad at 3472 leds :) I hadn't really considered using non hardware SPI so that might end up being the route I go. Along that same train of thought - one could effectively reduce that number down to a nice round...
  18. visualSound

Hey thanks manitou - When I use the octo library and use a for loop and setPixel() to transfer values 1 at a time from source array > to "drawingMemory" array - no problem. It's when I try to read the serial buffer directly into "drawingMemory" that results in the above.
  19. visualSound

Teensy 3.1 + sdCard adapter + wiz820io + 1 SPI output for leds?

Looking at the teensy + wiz820io for receiving pixel data and wondering if it could be used in conjunction with 1 SPI output for APA102 pixels. I was looking at this: A little confused on the pin numberings- are there any clock / data pairs left over for use with an led strip or are both SPI...
  20. visualSound

I wanted to bump this thread as I've still been 100% stumped on this one: In order to simplify my question : Here's my stripped down teensy receiving code: #include <OctoWS2811.h> const int ledsPerStrip = 8; DMAMEM int displayMemory[ledsPerStrip*6]; int drawingMemory[ledsPerStrip*6]; const...
  21. visualSound

Interesting use! Well that definitely clears things up a bit more, but I'm still having trouble getting 0-255 byte values of the appropriate length to show correctly on the leds/teensy. I'm using the above stripped down arduino code, which works, but incorrectly. I tried printing the values...
  22. visualSound

Actually what I said isn't entirely true: in the arduino code, drawingMemory is not a byte array at declaration, but an int array. int drawingMemory[ledsPerStrip*6]; and later it's populated using serial.readBytes and "(char* )" which I'm not totally clear on what that's doing either: count =...
  23. visualSound

No luck, I tried adding this line just to see what it prints out: println(b << 1); It seemed to double the values, so larger negative and positive numbers. I'm still trying to understand how a signed byte value in Processing going from -128 to 127 can be sent over serial to an arduino which...
  24. visualSound

Hmm, can you explain what you mean by shift a one out the left?
  25. visualSound

Hey everyone. So I've been breaking my brain over a very small bit of code in the movie2serial PDE that comes with the octo library. Let me start off with my original issue: I have been using a for loop and .setPixel() and ints for red, green, and blue in my teensy's code and sending values...
  26. visualSound

Artnet to OctoWS2811?

Has anyone here hit a speed bottleneck yet using the setup in this thread? Wondering how many bytes can be transfered / read via ethernet while maintaining roughly 60 fps?
  27. visualSound

User friendly way to modify code with out arduino IDE - Is this possible?

Hey everyone, I'm working on a project where it would be highly convenient if the end user could plug the teensy / finished device into a usb port and through a premade program (preferably python) set some options via a gui, click a button, and have the code re assembled with the user inputs...
  28. visualSound

configuring octows2811 library for use with 4 16x16 ws2811 ws2812b pixel panels

Hey! Seems like an interesting project. I can't speak for all of the points you're asking about but in terms of mapping I can tell you how I would at least handle this: So, when working with led's in teensy's code, you would normally iterate through your led's like this: for (int j = 0; j <...
  29. visualSound

Artnet to OctoWS2811?

Paul, I actually had the exact same experience with a previous project using the exact same hardware setup, except transmitting from a mac, and using Processing as the intermediary. Touch Designer seems to have a limit to the size of a packet of data, for some reason keeping it at 255...
  30. visualSound

Artnet to OctoWS2811?

Yeah it seems like I'm going to have to attack this from the angle of splitting up the workload before sending it.. multi threading or, like you said sharing the load between more teensy's.
  31. visualSound

Artnet to OctoWS2811?

I've read through every page in this thread, and I've got to say thanks for all the development on this code / library! I've got got a pretty huge led display project going with my teensy 3.1 running the octows2811 library with each pin supporting a "strip"(panel) of 480 neoPixels for a grand...
  32. visualSound

teensy 3.1, windows 8, and "unknown USB Device (Device descriptor request failed)"

Colossal idiot move! I forgot to incorporate a delay in the setup to give the teensy time to get load everything properly.. I think I read more about this on the forums somewhere once upon a time and forgot. problem solved: delay(500); :)
  33. visualSound

teensy 3.1, windows 8, and "unknown USB Device (Device descriptor request failed)"

DemolishunWork: Thanks for that clarification! makes sense, however I'm still not sure why the teensy's would start their program and then freeze instantly.. They hadn't done this earlier. Any thoughts along those lines? Regards.
  34. visualSound

It also seems that the teensy loader pushes whatever last compiled and uploaded sketch was used anytime the reset button is hit on any teensy.. The reset button on any of the teensys causes the program to reset and hang when the usb is not plugged in.. did I perhaps do something to the...
  35. visualSound

teensy 3.1, windows 8, and "unknown USB Device (Device descriptor request failed)" Hey everone, I've had my arduino ide setup and working for quite some time now doing things with teensy, and other arduino platforms. Recently today i got the error: "unknown USB Device (Device descriptor...
  36. visualSound

Large portable led display project, and a question about power / cable connectors!

I'm working on an led display project that has some special requirements due to it's need to be portable and fit in a fairly small-ish container. This led me to develop a folding led panel system that would need to be connected to the power supply manually each time it is setup. Here's a 3d...
  37. visualSound

Is 3,840 led's too much for 1 teensy 3.1 using the OctoWS2811 library?

Good catch, I missed this post thank you for linking!
  38. visualSound

Is 3,840 led's too much for 1 teensy 3.1 using the OctoWS2811 library?

Hey everyone, I'm building a portable led display for a friend and I've come up with a size that seems pretty good for his dj setup, however the size * the led density i'm using will put the total led count at 3,840. I have read on Octows2811 library page that the 3.1's are recommended at no...
  39. visualSound

Completed Project : 704 Led Top Hat + teensy 3.1 + Octows811 library

Thank You! The eye graphics I created in photoshop, and used some python code in another app to convert it to an RGB image array which I copy pasted into the arduino code. All the animation is procedural though, the pupil is on it's own layer so to speak and randomly offsets every so often...
  40. visualSound

Completed Project : 704 Led Top Hat + teensy 3.1 + Octows811 library

Been working on an led hat to take with me to a few music fests this summer, and this is it! Video doesn't do the colors justice, as always the neopixels are way to bright :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-OsEh8kgCw I documented a bit of the process of building it here...
  41. visualSound

OctoWS2811 library and teensy 3.1 - issue with leds.show(); command?

That was quite literally all I had forgotten. Its working now thanks for pointing this out. This is what happens when I rush : )
  42. visualSound

Ah alas, I did not connect pins 15 and 16. I will give that a go and see if it fixes the problem. The standard neopixel library does something similar, I only test say pin 2, but all 8 pins that have strips attached to them go on too but only the one specifies in code continues to update ...
  43. visualSound

When ever I run this code it sets the led's to full bright/white no matter what leds.setPixel() is doing. It only does this when the leds.show() function is called, and it only does so on the led's initialized by the library. Any ideas? maybe a short? or perhaps something simple I'm overlooking...
  44. visualSound

Best / fastest method of communication between teensy 3.1 and Touch Designer?

Thanks again! I picked one of those up. I didn't even know that was a thing with usb hubs, good to know. I've been making decent headway with the teensy / touch designer combo, currently I have a program setup that allows me to map the led panel to a portion of a video stream (in much the same...
  45. visualSound

Awesome, I will pick one of those up soon. Do I just choose different com ports with multiple teensy's running? Do I need to setup anything in the arduino sketch to indicate which one's which? Another video update running some procedural animation to the led panel
  46. visualSound

Paul: It's working! Your tip about the .readBytes() did the trick. I'm sure it's faster now too, but for whatever reason the strange flicker is gone as well. Not going to worry too much about why, I'm just fairly certain my logic was a bit flawed before, maybe something to do with the commas. I...
  47. visualSound

After my last lengthy struggle with what turned out to be using the wrong type of logic level converter I've been sure to follow the setup guides to a T :D Currently, this thread's project resides on a breadboard, I have a 100 ohm resistor close to the pin, and very short lengths of wire going...
  48. visualSound

Thanks for the tips everyone, going to try and optimize / fix serial communication but if I can't work out that bug I'm experiencing with the flickering I'll go with one of the other two options and keep the thread updated with what happens!
Back