Search results

1. jim lee

Teensy 3.2 compiler/sscanf question.

Thanks guys! -jim lee
  2. jim lee

Teensy 3.2 compiler/sscanf question.

I have the old text Star Trek game ported to my Teensy handheld. I've been updating libraries and ran into an odd issue. Numbers have been disappearing from my display. After the usual hair pulling and other debugging nonsense I've tracked own the error to compiler Optimization settings. Teensy...
  3. jim lee

Teensy on Wokwi

Yes, but from what I understand, this emulates everything about the processor so esoteric tricks will work as well. Heck I've seen it emulate direct logic gates with no processor at all! -jim lee
  4. jim lee

Teensy on Wokwi

The wokwi emulator seems to be getting to be "the next big thing" in emulators. They are now doing ESP32s and Raspberry pi(s) along with the Arduino stuff. Unlike the other emulators, you can add any code & libraries you want. And there is a growing list of hardware as well. I tend to use it a...
  5. jim lee

[posted] Teensy 3.2 cellphone blog.

Hey thanks! -jim lee
  6. jim lee

Teensy Wifi?

Wow wow wow! That's a lot of typing that boy's done! It is what I said I wanted though. Sockets on a teensy. So thank you VERY much for that! I'm having all sorts of fun going through it. -jim lee
  7. jim lee

Teensy Wifi?

What I'm looking for is A) Just something to listen to a port number and allow a socket to attach when one shows up. B) Something I can use to connect to said listening socket. C) Then I can pass data back and forth. Both ends currently run Teensy 3.2s -jim lee
  8. jim lee

Teensy Wifi?

That's it? ESP-32? Has the field really narrowed down to one choice? Or do xbees get me on the wifi as well? I wasn't aware that they could.. -jim lee
  9. jim lee

Teensy Wifi?

I use a lot of teensy 3.2s for things like hand held devices and bits of equipment. I'm kind of tired of having to hook them up to serial to communicate. So, maybe wifi would be a better approach? What is everyone's favorite hardware for adding Wifi to their teensy? Thanks! -jim lee
  10. jim lee

sprintf() from teensy lib?

Yeah, you can add Arduino libraries or your own. Even an sd card. Here is the code In talking about running in the simulator : https://wokwi.com/arduino/projects/320633653950415443 When you get listings of numbers all that comes up is question marks. (In real life running in my Teensy 3.2 it...
  11. jim lee

sprintf() from teensy lib?

I have this code, runs wonderfully on teensy. I wanted to run it with the Wokwi simulation to show it off, but... Everything works except much of the string output is missing. Turns out sprintf() works on Teensy and it doesn't on the simulated Mega. This code I have, from the 70s & 80s, is...
  12. jim lee

Teensy 3.2 RAM usage tools?

I found a copy of this on github and grabbed a copy of that. Wrapping it in a c++ class that works in my app framework, I ended up with the slickest little memory montor. Thanks guys! -jim llee
  13. jim lee

I found this in malloc.c extern char __heap_start; extern char __heap_end; #define STACK_POINTER() ((char *)AVR_STACK_POINTER_REG) struct __freelist { size_t sz; struct __freelist *nx; }; /* * Exported interface: * * When extending the data segment, the allocator will not try to go *...
  14. jim lee

Is there any tools to help debugging dynamic RAM usage? For example, to look at what has been allocated and what is free? I'm looking for something to see how much RAM is being used by different parts of my code and if things are "leaking" RAM. Even if I have to roll my own, I don't know...
  15. jim lee

Looking for the Serial library

Wait a sec.. Is this why I couldn't find it in.. "Show Package Contents". Contents/Java/libraries/ ? Where I found the other stuff? Because this is the Teensy version of the Arduino IDE? No, I take it back. There's an Arduino flavor set in there as well. It looks like the teensy stuff is just...
  16. jim lee

Thanks! I actually found it. Well, not on my machine. But, someone else gave me a link to the source on github. SO I'm good to go. (I think) -jim lee
  17. jim lee

I'd like to create a class that you pass in the address to whatever serial object you are using. But, I can't find the Serial library to see how its derived. (Using a Mac) Anyone? Thanks! -jim lee
  18. jim lee

Serial question : Is TX1,RX1 for Serial1 or just Serial? (Ntxt)

Yes that would! Although I didn't even know that that information existed. Or, there was a link to something like that. In fact, Once I look at it, I see there's all the info I was looking for. But how would I have ever found it on my own? I can't find it under products, or teensy.. I looked all...
  19. jim lee

Too much information? Not in the least! I'm grateful for it. I asked because, in my project, I'm stuck. And, I ran into a bit of a informational void on all of this. On the Arduino side I get references that are somewhat arm waving and light on detail. Adafruit? So far I'm getting nothing at...
  20. jim lee

Thanks! I've never had this spelled out to me before and its always been kinda' a mystery/blind spot. -jim lee
  21. jim lee

Or is Serial the same as Serial1 ? I tend to doubt that though.. Thanks! -jim lee
  22. jim lee

Using the BME680 with IAQ with the Teensy 3.1/3.2

Nevermind.. -jim lee
  23. jim lee

Using the BME680 with IAQ with the Teensy 3.1/3.2

Um guys? My background is very weak in compiler and linker vocabulary. In the end of all this, was there a list of things I need to do to get this library to work? I just tried the basic.ino example program and it doesn't compile for me. I'm currently reading the readme.md file and I just can't...
  24. jim lee

ILI9341 font background

Ah, ok. I came into this late. It caught my attention because I have a GUI application framework I've been working on for my stuff and, at one point, I kinda' bailing-wired ILI9341_t3 in to see if it really was any better. I was really impressed at the improvement! (Teensy 3.2). Ever since, its...
  25. jim lee

ILI9341 font background

KurtE, You wrote ili9341_t3? I had no idea! -jim lee
  26. jim lee

[posted] 1970s Text based Star Trek game running in Teensy based handheld.

WildBill (Arduino forum) Helped me get the OLD codebase compilable on Arduino. (Teensy 3.2) I developed the handheld and the GUI. Then worked on rewriting a bunch of the code to integrate it on the tiny little screen. Its working pretty well now. I was even able to get saved games working with...
  27. jim lee

Advice needed please flight sim button box.

Dont fear soldering. Its EASY. ..IF you have the right equipment. A decent solder iron and high quality, rosin core, tin/lead solder. 99% of soldering issues are crappy equipment and supplies. With the right equipment, you can even get manky 80 year old wires to solder fine. -jim lee
  28. jim lee

Advice needed please flight sim button box.

Well, for starters, what part of the planet are you located in? -jim lee
  29. jim lee

Possible teensyduino issue.

I have teensyduino 1.8.7? On my work machine. I decided to try programming an Adafruit Itsy Bitsy M4 with bluefruit thing. And had no end of issues. I swear it was switching processors on me while it was compiling. I had to re-choose the processor twice, three times? I was never able to get it...
  30. jim lee

Teensy 3.2 SD print issues.

Thanks! And again, thank you! Finding that it worked on your machine kinda' tipped the scales on getting this figured out. -jim lee
  31. jim lee

GOT IT! If you DON'T initialize the Adafruit ILI9341 screen. Even though your not using the screen. It subtilely messes up the SD card function. Init the screen drivers, and everything's fine. Arrgh, what a twisted puzzle that was. Thanks again! -jim lee
  32. jim lee

Upgrading to Teensyduino 1.52 didn't help. The other change I did was to use ILI9341_t3.h instead of the usual library. I'll have to swap that back and see if it changes anything. If its a scope thing I'm sunk. Not really a wire guy. Thanks again for testing this. It helps a LOT knowing that...
  33. jim lee

THANK YOU for testing this! Both SD cards are mounted on Adafruit #1947 Cap Touchscreen shields. My arduino is 1.8.12 My teensyduino is 1.51 I've tried 3 different cards all were in use by their respective Arduinos. Initializing SD card...initialization done. Writing to test.txt...done. error...
  34. jim lee

I've now tried the supplied Teensy readwrite example on two different sets of proven hardware, and the results look to be the same. -jim lee
  35. jim lee

I tried the supplied Teensy readwrite example and it behaves the same way. First time through it can't create the file. Subsequent times it can create it, but not write to it. -jim lee
  36. jim lee

Full motion video + sound on the T4 + ILI9341. Eliminating tearing with ILI9341_t3n..

Pretty cool! I never would, have thought that would be possible. But it makes my head hurt just thinking about it. -jim lee
  37. jim lee

Few odd issues. A) I can't seem to be able to create a new file. This is intermittent. Sometimes the new file is created. B) I can't write to an empty file using print(). This is NOT intermittent. Just can't do it. C) If there is any data in the file? Everything seems to work fine. This came...
  38. jim lee

[posted] Quadruped walking robot

That is incredibly cool! Why not just add a passel of Teensys? Then you can bust up the coding making it easier to write and faster to respond, and you end up with more pins that you'd ever need. -jim lee
  39. jim lee

[posted] Teensy 3.2 cellphone blog.

I have my cellphone at a stopping place. (Moslty working, I'm tired) Wrote up a BLOG on developing the software for it. Home made Cellphone BLOG Enjoy. -jim lee
  40. jim lee

3D Rendering on Teensy

Quantum physics! Nothing exists without an observer. :D -jim lee
  41. jim lee

3D Rendering on Teensy

I can not believe the frame rate your getting for drawing anything to that screen. My ILI9341 takes seconds per frame. It drives me nuts! Who is this kurt and his ILI9341 library? -jim lee
  42. jim lee

Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #2

After a day of hacking on my teensy stuff I quit the teensyduino and it took the entire mac down. Power off, everything. I don't know if it'll help, but here's the stuff apple wanted as a report. Anonymous UUID: 5171288A-F5CB-2F3F-51AF-8F0E584824DE Sun Apr 12 22:25:38 2020 *** Panic...
  43. jim lee

Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #2

Well, your guesses are at least putting me on the right paths. Thank you! The loader didn't come with the installer. So, I thought it was no longer needed with this new fancy stuff. I went back and found the teensy loader app, d-loaded & installed it, clicked it and presto! I'm up and running...
  44. jim lee

Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #2

Ok, I pulled ILI9341_t3 stuff out for now. Went back to the original one from Adafruit. Got everything to compile again. But now there's no teensy loader? Is this not included with this new teensyduino IDE? Opening Teensy Loader... Unable find Teensy Loader. (p) Is the Teensy Loader...
  45. jim lee

Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #2

Well, here it is. Looks like teensyduino has a private copy of Adafruit_GFX.h Multiple libraries were found for "Adafruit_GFX.h"/var/folders/wt/mcbdk5yn5wz6z1zcpf20xvzw0000gn/T/arduino_build_619311/libraries/ILI9341_t3/ILI9341_t3.cpp.o: In function `Adafruit_GFX_Button::drawButton(bool)'...
  46. jim lee

Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #2

AH! Got it. Teensyduino has the teensy stuff in it. Then new IDE from Arduino does not. I'd forgot to check to make sure I was compiling for a teensy. So I guess it wasn't looking for teensy library files. There is still the issue where ILI9341_t3.h conflicts with Adafruit_GFX.h though. -jim lee
  47. jim lee

Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #2

Back out of the saddle.. #include <Adafruit_GFX.h> #include <ILI9341_t3.h> void setup() { } void loop() { } #include <ILI9341_t3.h> <- No such file. I just looked into the package contents (Mac thing) and found this file under hardware/teensy/libraries. Somehow this IDE can't find it...
  48. jim lee

Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #2

Cool thanks! Back in the saddle! -jim lee
  49. jim lee

Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #2

Thanks for answering guys. I've a Mac 10.13.6 I did the Catalina install. As for as I could tell it just put a new IDE on my drive called Teensyduino. I'm kinda' asssuming this is all I need and can toss out my old IDE? I ask because this is so different than what I"m used to where the...
Back