Teensy 3.1 will not go back into programming mode!!! Help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6789

Hi all,

I can't program my teensy anymore... it was working fine (and boots up whatever is burned into it fine) but I cannot get the computer to send a new firmware into it :(

Pressing the button on the teensy doesn't do anything. How can I troubleshoot??? The teensy is hardwired to audio shield. The button is functional because I can hear a slight hum through the headphone jack when I press it, and it used to work no problem :\

Any ideas?

thanks,
Mike

When you disconnect and reconnect the USB cable does the computer think it's disconnected and then reconnected? If it's reconnected does is show a Serial port available?

When you disconnect and reconnect the USB cable does the computer think it's disconnected and then reconnected? If it's reconnected does is show a Serial port available?

yes the COM port shows up fine and teensy is sending data to the computer from the old program loaded on. after playing with the reset pad and programming button even more, i seemed to have messed it up beyond repair.... now the audio codec is cutting in and out, the USB device keeps connecting and reconnecting to the windows machine and windows says it can't recognize it anymore... SH*T!!!! >.<

Try Disconnecting, then shutdown the Teensyloader and Arduino IDE (even to the point of restart your PC/MAC), Start up Arduino and load the simple Blink sketch. Do an upload (Don't connect your teensy yet), the upload will fail. Then connect your Teensy and hit the Teensy prog button.

Try Disconnecting, then shutdown the Teensyloader and Arduino IDE (even to the point of restart your PC/MAC), Start up Arduino and load the simple Blink sketch. Do an upload (Don't connect your teensy yet), the upload will fail. Then connect your Teensy and hit the Teensy prog button.

nothing :( i've concluded that i've borked the hardware USB chip with either soldering too close to it or shorting something out... ordered a new one :\ thanks anyway

No problem, hope it is a borked Mini54 bootloader (It's not a USB chip but another processor used to put the main chip into bootloader mode) and not your PC or drivers that are screwy.

Good luck.

Two last resort possibilities:
1. Unplug it from the USB. Hold the button on the teensy down and while holding the button plug the teensy in to the usb port (a different port to usual if possible, just to eliminate any port issues). If the problem is something in your code that has somehow blocked the ability to restart into reprogramming mode or something in your OS/USB port that is causing issues, that should normally prevent it from even trying to run your code at all. If the Mini54 & button are working, that'd get you back to reprogram mode.
2. If the reset button itself has died, you can trigger reprogram mode by shorting the two pins labelled "Program" and "GND" on the end of the teensy opposite the usb connector: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html (can wire a button to those and activate it if you'd prefer). If the problem is just that the button itself had broken but the Mini54 was ok, that should activate the connections that the button was supposed to make.

If the Mini54 really is dead, neither option will help - but if not there's a chance you could resurrect the teensy, and it's not going to cost anything apart from a little bit of time to try :).

Two last resort possibilities:
1. Unplug it from the USB. Hold the button on the teensy down and while holding the button plug the teensy in to the usb port (a different port to usual if possible, just to eliminate any port issues). If the problem is something in your code that has somehow blocked the ability to restart into reprogramming mode or something in your OS/USB port that is causing issues, that should normally prevent it from even trying to run your code at all. If the Mini54 & button are working, that'd get you back to reprogram mode.
2. If the reset button itself has died, you can trigger reprogram mode by shorting the two pins labelled "Program" and "GND" on the end of the teensy opposite the usb connector: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html (can wire a button to those and activate it if you'd prefer). If the problem is just that the button itself had broken but the Mini54 was ok, that should activate the connections that the button was supposed to make.

If the Mini54 really is dead, neither option will help - but if not there's a chance you could resurrect the teensy, and it's not going to cost anything apart from a little bit of time to try :).

tried the button while plugging in, no help, button isn't dead and i've also tried manuall jumping program to GND.

how should i debug the mini54?

i'll try a different port/machine but i'm almost certain that's not the issue, its been working before, and still does with other devices

thanks!!!

First, check if the board is getting good power. This is *always* the first thing to check. VIN should be 5V is running from USB, and 3.3V should be 3.3 volts. If the power is bad, nothing will work.

Next, check the PROGRAM and RESET lines. On Teensy 3.1, RESET is on a tiny test pad on the back side. Both should normally be 3.3V while Teensy is running.

Pressing the button should bring PROGRAM to zero volts, since it shorts that pin to GND. If the Mini54 is running, it should recognize the change on PROGRAM and pull RESET low while PROGRAM is low. This is the way to check if the Mini54 is still alive.

If you've seen prior threads here, a common problem is conductive or corrosive organic flux chemical found in some solder. Cleaning the board with 99% or even 91% isopropal alcohol often works wonders. The crystal is particularly susceptible to contamination. Of course, allow plenty of time to the board to fully dry before you apply power. Rushing things can quickly turn a bad situation into something much worse.

First, check if the board is getting good power. This is *always* the first thing to check. VIN should be 5V is running from USB, and 3.3V should be 3.3 volts. If the power is bad, nothing will work.

Next, check the PROGRAM and RESET lines. On Teensy 3.1, RESET is on a tiny test pad on the back side. Both should normally be 3.3V while Teensy is running.

Pressing the button should bring PROGRAM to zero volts, since it shorts that pin to GND. If the Mini54 is running, it should recognize the change on PROGRAM and pull RESET low while PROGRAM is low. This is the way to check if the Mini54 is still alive.

If you've seen prior threads here, a common problem is conductive or corrosive organic flux chemical found in some solder. Cleaning the board with 99% or even 91% isopropal alcohol often works wonders. The crystal is particularly susceptible to contamination. Of course, allow plenty of time to the board to fully dry before you apply power. Rushing things can quickly turn a bad situation into something much worse.

thanks for the tips, paul. power was OK, program went low but reset didn't, mini54 was probably dead.. i tried to alcohol brush the whole board and now the LED doesnt come on and USB is 100% dead, haha... guess I didn't wait long enough >.< on the next board I am only going to solder on the side of the board with no components and maybe even mask with that high temp tape stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back