APA102, FastLED, Teensyduino 1.29, Teensy 3.2 - Hanging after random number of shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
It worked flawlessly at 12MHz and when I went to 24MHz about half the led's stayed blank for the most part with the tail of the code flickering about 20 of them randomly all over the place.

Yup, many APA102s don't work reliably at 24 MHz, especially with long strips.

Yup, many APA102s don't work reliably at 24 MHz, especially with long strips.

It does not explain why defragster gets issues with only 30 leds. Im up to 288 leds(2x 1m strips) and at 12MHz its all good, as soon as I put in say 13MHz I loose the second strip completely and about one quarter of the tail of the first strip. The results are the same weather I put in 13 or 24MHz. I would expect it to get progressively worse if the SPI clock is actually increasing, if I get a chance I will put my scope on the line.

Update!
Just switched my T3.1 from 96MHz to 72MHz and now I can run the strips up to 18MHz, before I start to loose half of the second strip.

I have some running around to do then I can try the T3.6 at different clocks to see if it helps there.

I haven't yet done the Teensy 3.5/3.6 porting for FastLED (other than a bunch of datasheet digging) - a somewhat surprise job change and dealing with an injury has thrown me off on timing (combined with my electronics setup/testing area not being usable at the moment) . I'll do a staged rollout of support (once I put in the low level pin support everything else will begin working - although with software SPI - and then i'll spin up the hardware SPI support) - and will update here when I start pushing changes.

I haven't yet done the Teensy 3.5/3.6 porting for FastLED (other than a bunch of datasheet digging) - a somewhat surprise job change and dealing with an injury has thrown me off on timing (combined with my electronics setup/testing area not being usable at the moment) . I'll do a staged rollout of support (once I put in the low level pin support everything else will begin working - although with software SPI - and then i'll spin up the hardware SPI support) - and will update here when I start pushing changes.

Sounds good. Is there a hard limit to how many APA102's can be used at specific speeds? The best I have been able to get with a T3.1 was 288 LED at 18MHz. At 19MHz I loose about 70led's. Which seems kind of high (5% increase causes >25% losses). My lofty goals are to either get 144ish leds at >24MHz or 2 pairs of 72 at >24MHz. In either scenario I will most likely need to figure out DMA in order to get to the 2.5KHz refresh rate I will need. Luckily the project I am doing will be mostly 3D Printed so the materials are cheap. If it does not work out I will have an interesting Disko Ball.

In other news I ran my electric gocart over the weekend. I have some mechanical work to do but it was able to run around under its own power, I have to change out my 100A fuse for a 150 since the 100 only lasted about 15 minutes. I also killed one of my Teensy 3.1's on a Tindie breakout board :mad: We really need a non teensy style for prototyping, combined cost of a teensy and breakout makes it a $50 loss :(.

Sounds good. Is there a hard limit to how many APA102's can be used at specific speeds? .

Sadly, it has less to do with the APA102 and more to do with the wiring/mounting I think. I have a 768 led apa102 board that I've been able to drive glitch free at 24mhz. And I have some apa102 strips that I can't drive more than 100 leds above 6mhz :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back