SD Cards getting corrupted

BrotherTheo

This is Tim Ressel from Future Retro. Our Vectra product uses a Teensy 4.1 with an SD card holding presets. We have had several instances of SD card corruption. In two cases the unit failed to read the full card contents. The cards work upon rewriting the contents using a PC. One customer had to tape his SD card to make it read. I was wondering if this is a known hardware issue?

One customer had to tape his SD card to make it read.
"to tape his SD card", does that mean taping the card such that it stays put in the SD card socket or...?
I can imagine that when people are carrying the Vectra sequencer around, the Teensy and/or SD card are prone to shock and vibration. The SD card socket on the Teensy 4.1 is not of the lockable "Push-Push type" so you may need to add provisions for keeping the SD card in place.

Paul

SD card corruption is really unfortunate. Wish I had a better answer, but can't know why this happened.

I was wondering if this is a known hardware issue?

The only known issue (known to me... on my list of issues to fix) that seems close would be incompatibility with buffers in cached memory. If your program is using malloc or C++ new to allocate buffers, or your buffers are declared with DMAMEM, this might apply. But if your buffers are ordinary global or local or static variables, this would not apply as those are allocated in DTCM which isn't cached (because tightly coupled memory runs at the same speed as the CPU cache).

Back