Search results

1. randomvibe

Tensorflow Lite for Teensy 4

I did look at your reference plus many others prior to starting this thread. The @andrewpiepenbrink thread says "...it was a rough experience; lots of thrashing around with Makefiles, spurious clobbered newlines, and other evils..." Thought I'd check with PJRC first to see if a worked out...
  2. randomvibe

Tensorflow Lite for Teensy 4

Given T4's clock speed and inference benchmarks, I'm surprised teensy did not make the "supported platforms" list: https://www.tensorflow.org/lite/microcontrollers Machine learning and inferencing on a microcontroller is an important subject and hugely relevant. It's here to stay. Any plans...
  3. randomvibe

Teensy 4.1 Random Number Generator

Running the Teensy4.1 TRNG exclusively with 0.1 million samples took ~90 minutes - too slow. Using the TRNG as a random seed for the ISAAC PRNG is a decent cryptographic generator and very fast. 0.1 million samples ran in 0.028 seconds. I plotted the random numbers and its histogram. No...
  4. randomvibe

512 random bits in 52780 us is too slow for my project. For now I will use the T4 true random number generator (TRNG) as the random seed. Then use a fast pseudo random generator (PRNG) in the feedback loop. Will try the ISAAC method, a fast cryptographic random number generator...
  5. randomvibe

Odd. Unable to edit my original post. Can this be changed?
  6. randomvibe

Finally jumped on the Teensy 4 bandwagon. Just received a couple of 4.1 boards, and two 4.0 boards. Tried compiling a T3.6 robotic project on the 4.1, but got this error related to my Random Number Generator (RNG) function: 'SIM_SCGC6' was not declared in this scope I did found this thread...
  7. randomvibe

Teensy 4.0 vs PORTENTA H7

This PH7 is a very intriguing board. Has GPU acceleration and computer vision abilities - very relevant for the AI revolution underway! Also really like the two 80-pin high density connectors and I2C connector complementing the 1mm GPIO headers. All in a teensy-like form factor. No more...
  8. randomvibe

Future Teensy features & pinout

A T4.x in a 3.6 form factor would be great. It's somewhat surprising that the 3.2 form factor is the best-seller. I suppose price outweighs all. $19.XX is a bargain. If all form factors were the same price, I wonder if the 3.6 factor would win out? It's shocking that the BASIC Stamp 2 is...
  9. randomvibe

Teensy 3.6 COM Port Conflicts with Other Device

Not sure what is different since the original post, but I am able to upload programs. However, I have to press the Teensy button every time I attempt to upload a program. To back up a bit, I first opened the Win10 Device Manager. When I connected the T3.6, I saw "USB Serial Device (COM6)"...
  10. randomvibe

Future Teensy features & pinout

I'm a big T3.5 and 3.6 customer. I have not purchased a T4 because of the small GPIO form factor, but will definitely obtain several T4.1 modules when ready. But I may purchase a T4 sooner than later if the 4.1 release is far out. On the 1170 chip, it's a very good step, but a teensy step...
  11. randomvibe

Teensy 3.6 COM Port Conflicts with Other Device

For some reason, my Teensy 3.6 COM Port (COM6) on Windows 10 conflicts with a 3D printer that uses the same Port ID. The printer was installed when the Teensy was not connected. As a consequence, programs will not upload to the Teensy. Is there a way to change the Teensy Port ID or serial...
  12. randomvibe

Teensy Serial Communication with Jetson Nano

Had a heck of a time trying to get the Jetson Nano UART working, but finally got it to serially communicate with a Teensy 3.5. The Jetson peripherals are not packaged in convenient ready-to-go libraries as they are in Teensy and Arduino. Here's the working UART example: Jetson Nano UART C++...
  13. randomvibe

Teensyduino 1.46 on NVIDIA Jetson Nano - It Works

Done many projects using Teensy 3.2, 3.5 & 3.6 exclusively on a Windows 10 platform. I ordered the NVIDIA Jetson Nano to do real-time Visual Recognition. Linux is very different. I decided to program a Teensy 3.2 from the Jetson. So I installed Arduino 1.8.9 with Teensyduino 1.46 using...
  14. randomvibe

Teensy 4.0 First Beta Test

Lots of posts to read through to get a top level summary of T4 development. Does pjrc plan on updating posts #4, #5, and #6? Overall, is T4 more difficult to develop than the other teensy boards?
  15. randomvibe

Teensy 4.0 Price & Specs

Once the the "i.MX RT 1060" is integrated with your PCB, can the integrated device be considered a single board computer?
  16. randomvibe

Teensy 4.0 Price & Specs

Fair enough that Teensy 4.0 is not released yet, but there is a lot of buzz out there. I saw the thread, but I could not find top level information about price and specs, aside from the selected chip. I looked over the "i.MX RT 1060" information - the "crossover processor" concept is something...
  17. randomvibe

Teensy 4.0 Price & Specs

Looking over the "i.MX RT 1060" datasheets, I am very impressed with all the features on this single chip not currently in the teensy lineup such as 600mhz speed, double-precision floating point unit, 2D graphics acceleration, USB2.0 connectivity, security & encryption, etc. So I have to wonder...
  18. randomvibe

EMI Affects Teensy 3.6 More Than 3.5 and 3.2

I cannot stress enough the importance of using twisted-pair wire bundles for long SPI lines. I only use CAT6 or CAT7, although CAT7 cables are rather stiff. Before you redesign, observe the behavior of the car's datalogger with the motors disabled (no power going to the motor driver). I would...
  19. randomvibe

Multiple SPI Devices - Two's Good, Three's a Crowd

Can you suggest a tri-state buffer with a 0.1" DIP form factor?
  20. randomvibe

As I pointed out, the three SPI devices work solidly on their own, including pairing the ILI9341 display and IMU. I did try adding 10K pull-ups at each chip-select channel as this site suggested, but no luck. Problem solved using a separate SPI port. My crowded project required reassigning...
  21. randomvibe

Yes, I use the hardware SPI functions outlined in your link. I have not tried the faster "spi4teensy3" library. My devices work fine on their own or paired with the ILI9341 display. But for some reason, the PIXY and IMU clash.
  22. randomvibe

My Teensy3.6 with three SPI devices is having difficult intermittent problems. On one hand I have a Teensy 3.6 project with two SPI devices that work solidly in a program for-loop: an IMU (LSM6DS3), and a display (ILI9341). Separately, I hooked up a PIXY camera on another Teensy 3.6 with SPI...
  23. randomvibe

Any Plans for a Teensy Board with Bottom Pads on Top?

Because they implemented this adapter does not automatically mean its popular and successful. For those customers, why not just go with a Teensy 3.5 or 3.6. But the bigger question is what is to stop Adafruit from copying the Teensy/Kinetis system with an Adafruit form factor?
  24. randomvibe

Teensy 3.6 Random Number Generator

Yes, that makes sense. I looped the K66 random number generator function. A plot of just a small subset appears very random and correctly ranges from ~0 to ~2^32-1 (of course those limits are never reached in just a million samples). The histogram is virtually flat in contrast to a Gaussian...
  25. randomvibe

It's odd that Teensy3.6 without headers is more expensive at digikey ($32.50) when it can be purchased at PJRC and Sparkfun for $29.25. At Adafruit it's $29.95. Usually Adafruit has lower prices than Sparkfun. For Amazon Prime members it's $36.95.
  26. randomvibe

Like I said, trng() seems to return values greater than 1e9 only. I'll run it for several minutes to satisfy myself. In your timing loop, why did you multiply REPS by 32 million, did you mean 2^32? The statement... "for crypto strength you use only 1-bit out of each 32-bit word generated" is...
  27. randomvibe

Not too long hopefully. Beyond the Teensy4X, is a Teensy single-board-computer possible on a 3.6-like form factor? An SBC would be the next logical progression after an i.MX processor.
  28. randomvibe

Thanks for that. It compiles and runs on my Teensy 3.6. I was expecting the random number "r" to range from 0 to 2^32-1, but the values are consistently large, in the order of 1e9. Is "r" the 32-bit random number? Also, what is the significance of the "REPS" variable? Why is REPS=50? Here...
  29. randomvibe

So the i.MX processor is the next Teensy chip possibly on a 3.2-like and 3.6-like form factor. Beyond that, is a Teensy single-board-computer possible on a 3.6-like form factor?
  30. randomvibe

Open-ness and mining feedback is excellent business practice. Involving the community in the design is a potential nightmare, so I'm glad you are not completely heading in that direction. You make the best 32-bit module at the best price, I'd like you to succeed. Barring my selfish wants for...
  31. randomvibe

Is there a Teensy 3.6 library or function that accesses the hardware random number generator in the K66 chip?
  32. randomvibe

What is PJRC's thought on microcontroller for the future Teensy? The Kinetis K66 is already at the top of the K-series performance class. Are you considering a new direction, like the i.MX processor?
  33. randomvibe

I mainly buy 3.6 modules - for the processing power, speed, RAM, memory, pins, 14bit ADC and price. I do find the 3.3V limitation annoying because many of my sensors are 5V, but it's nice that I can swap out the 3.6 for a 3.5. The pin compatibility between 3.2-3.6 is good. It's surprising...
  34. randomvibe

This is a difficult design problem. On how to get out the most pins from the CPU while keeping the module footprint small and cost low and make everyone happy. With all this back and forth on extra pins, what is PRJC's position so far? What is currently the most popular Teensy board?
  35. randomvibe

For instance, I still pickup the Teensy 3.6 inner pins (AREF, A10, A11 etc.) with upper male headers while the side rows are anchored to a breadboard. Similarly, on the concepts above, the outboard-most rows would apply to a breadboard, and the inner row(s) would be picked up with upper headers.
  36. randomvibe

I think of the Teensy as a compact and rectangular, self contained "system on a module" with 0.1 inch pins that will integrate on a custom PCB, or expansion shield, or just a breadboard. Just like any other chip with 0.1 inch pins. What else should it be if not rectangular? If the future...
  37. randomvibe

I like the additional row, but I would prefer a whole 0.1 inches to solder in a male or female header. The 0.05 inches would still obscure a breadboard row, so might as well go with 0.1 inches. I hope PRJC keeps the microSD slot. It saves me a bunch of wiring and its close proximity to the...
  38. randomvibe

I am now convinced that anything longer than Teensy 3.6 is too much, but as short as Teensy 3.2 is too little. I'm very happy with the Teensy 3.6 on a standard breadboard. My motor drivers, IMUs, power supply, pixy camera, etc. are separate modules anyway and the standard breadboard acts as a...
  39. randomvibe

When I saw those awhile back, my first impression is that they were copying the success of the Teensy. For me, the Feather is too small, just not enough pins on the sides. To my earlier alternate suggestion, I do like how the Feather makes a bunch of pins available on the top, like the...
  40. randomvibe

I appreciate that fully, and please take my suggestion as a suggestion only. Not having the bottom pads more readily available is not a deal breaker. On the size of the T3.5 and T3.6, my feedback on that is a big thank-you-very-much for bringing out all those pins. For me, the size and...
  41. randomvibe

Okay, I see I need to be more specific and practical with my suggestions. Did some more digging and found a good example of a micro connector that would fit on top. This suggestion applies to future Teensy boards, not T3.5 or T3.6...
  42. randomvibe

No of course not. That's just an example, and a horrible one at that. Here's a better example: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2098 The main point of the suggestion is this: bring out the bottom pads on top as an integrated connection port that can be accessed with a cheap cable like the...
  43. randomvibe

This defeats the purpose of quick prototyping on a breadboard. I can appreciate that. But in the future, it would be nice to have either: (1) a longer Teensy board with all pins on top, or (2) a Teensy3.6-like configuration with a female micro-connector on top giving the user the option to...
  44. randomvibe

So many useful bottom pads on my Teensy3.6. Any plans for a longer version so that all pads are on top? For the users it would be very accessible and still breadboard friendly. I suppose that's a huge redesign effort and structural problems may arise. I'm not a fan of adapter boards - more...
  45. randomvibe

Error Compiling for Board Teensy 3.6 - McAfee Problem

My Windows 10 PC has CAD software, business software, MS Office, Matlab, Oculus Rift, etc., most of which would not run on Linux and I'd need new licenses for others. For me, switching anti-virus software is much easier than migrating to Linux. The Norton Antivirus does allow the user to...
  46. randomvibe

That's virtually impossible to determine because so many *.exe and *.dll files and scratch files and directories are involved. I did all the arduino*.exe files, teensy*.exe, and some *avr*.exe files. But as I pointed out, even that stopped working a day later. After updating the definitions...
  47. randomvibe

McAfee LiveSafe only allows files to be excluded from the RTS (real-time-scan). Not directories, sadly. Last night I did a chat session with a McAfee representative, and I even granted him access to my computer. Luckily, he was able to replicate the compile error and observed that switching...
  48. randomvibe

This overall issue is getting worse. A few weeks ago, restarting the Arduino IDE did the trick. This week, that no longer worked. As I said in my first thread, I had to add several *.exe files from "C:\Programs\arduino-1.8.5\" to the McAfee RTS exclusion list to make it work. Today, this no...
  49. randomvibe

The simplest Teensy 3.6 program that previously compiled using Arduino-1.8.5 and Teensyduino 1.40 (downloaded 2 weeks ago) on a Windows 10 64-bit system, no longer compiles. It takes nearly 30 seconds to reach the error below, and the Teensy Loader window never appears...
  50. randomvibe

Pixy Camera with Teensy 3.5 and SPI

Thanks for that. I've been in communication with Pixy people and they verified that the SPI pins are 3.3V. So need for level shifting with the Teensy 3.6.
Back