Search results

1. K

How many audio channels can Teensy 4.x stream to a PC over USB?

I have an application requiring PC processing of a set of signals. They are well represented as audio signals and can be processed on a PC using audio software...so, I want to use a Teensy behaving as an audio device to make that happen. I can't tell if Teensy can support outputting more than...
  2. K

Frequency modulation via DMA

I’ve been doing frequency modulation with a Teensy 4.1 using interrupt code. I modulate a 1khz sine wave on a 40khz carrier by looping through a series of timer frequencies in an interrupt that reconfigures the timer after each cycle. I’m having to dig deep on STM32 DMA, and ran into a set of...
  3. K

Using Teensy to program an AtTiny1616?

AtTiny1616 units have onboard comparators and configurable custom logic. I need to integrate several of them into a project built around a Teensy. I'd like to use the Teensy to program the AtTinys. I need to be able to configure the registers on the AtTiny to configure the comparators and...
  4. K

Teensy 4.1 current sink capacity

I have 4 LEDs I need to drive. I had previously ran them directly from Teensy4.1 digital pins with the pins sourcing current. I changed to new LEDs with a larger voltage drop and I need to run the LEDs from the 5v USB source into the digital pin as the current sink now. I am unable to find...
  5. K

How to make Teensy detect Windows or Mac?

I have a custom keyboard project, and I need to support both Mac and Windows. I need to switch the CTRL\ALT\GUI modifier buttons depending the OS. How can I detect the OS?
  6. K

Need help with strange keyboard matrix behavior

I had strange behavior on my first attempt at a keyboard matrix. I'm picking it back up, and things are behaving strangely still. I'm using the wiring features here: https://www.baldengineer.com/arduino-keyboard-matrix-tutorial.html I'm using keypad.h with 4 rows and 9 columns. This to be a...
  7. K

Slow I2C\UART over stereo FM?

I have an application where it will be cheap and convenient to use a low power FM receiver to manipulate a remote unit. The remote unit is to be cheap and low power. I'm looking into using a stereo FM channel to supply I2C signals (SCL\SDA) to a set of peripherals so I won't need an MCU...
  8. K

Teensy digital pins as primative interrupt-based antennas?

I recently had a disaster attempting to use buttons. I found I can wave my hands at the buttons and the RF noise could trigger a swarm of interrupts as if the button was mashed. This is useful behavior in other contexts and I have questions. I have applications where I've been using FM radio...
  9. K

Logging the CPU time on an interrupt automatically?

I have an application where an swarm of interrupts will hit a set of pins. The application is to communicate timing data over the air as finely in time as possible. I need to log the CPU time for the interrupts on each pin...but they are closely spaced in time and can hit during the same clock...
  10. K

Keyboard matrix behaves differently based on choice of row pins

I have a keyboard matrix that is 4 columns and 6 rows. On first test, I had two columns where pressing keys activated two different keys on the column. I couldn't find any wiring issues, so I changed what pin the malfunctioning column uses...and got different behavior. I found a pin where one...
  11. K

Best method to run MATLAB code on a Teensy

I have a Teensy piping sensor data to MATLAB. The Teensy has enough processing power to handle the sensor processing, so I want to use MATLAB to generate the processing code and then port the code to Teensy. MATLAB has built-in features for this, but they take over the programming entirely and...
  12. K

Need to confirm USB battery\Teensy charging circuit

I have been using the Adafruit Teensy Feather Adaptor as a convenient breakout board that also has a lipo charger. The charge circuit handles the USB\VIN switchover so the USB\VIN solder pad does not need to be broken on the Teensy. I need to a make a custom PCB and need to clone the charge...
  13. K

Behavior of USB Host with only 3.3v instead of 5v

I was planning to use USB host mode on a portable unit in order to use USB BLE dongles for easy communication. I forgot about the 5v requirement. The battery only gives 3.7. If my goal is to operate only a BLE 4.0 dongle, is there any chance this can still work?
  14. K

Integrating MPU 6050 - power conditioning and pull-ups

I need to integrate MPU 6050 units on a custom PCB. I am working backward from github EagleCAD files. I am going to run the unit tightly coupled with a Teensy 4.0 and I need to iron out exactly what components can be removed. I'm not using the Stemma connectors, so those can be removed...
  15. K

Pogo pin usage, sourcing and dimensions for Teensy 4.0 USB host and under side pads

I want to use the USB Host and under-side solder pads on a Teensy 4.0. Available breakout boards use pogo pins per this link: https://www.pjrc.com/breakout-board-for-teensy-4-0/. I have not used these components before and I have questions: 1. I need to reconcile the PJRC directives regarding...
  16. K

Best practices for accessing the USB Host pads on a Teensy 4.0

I need to shrink a design that uses a Teensy 4.1. I need to change my PCB from using the through-hole header on the Teensy 4.1, to linking the Teensy 4.0 solder pads to a new PCB. I'm looking for best practices and links to good projects. Any help? [Edit] Pogo pads are a better solution.
  17. K

Strange audio playback behavior

I'm making a soundboard that plays a file via the onboard DACs, but WAV playback from the SD card is behaving very strangely. I have full code below, edited down to a simple test of playing one file. When I run the code, a portion of the file is played followed by a section static on channel 0...
  18. K

Very strange compile\restart behavior

I have a setup where I am sending camera data over UDP that was working yesterday. Today I am seeing strange behavior: 1. My first attempt to compile threw a bunch of weird errors. I closed the IDE and retried and everything compiled again. However, compile times are really long for some reason...
  19. K

USB Host BLE dongle support

My goal is to stream IMU data to a PC over BLE. I have a T4.1 on a board with the USB host port set up. I'm hoping to get a pair of USB dongles to complete the link. I can see a thread with a list of tested dongles, but the thread is super long. Can I get a recommendation on a reliable BLE...
  20. K

Teensy-based custom keyboard projects?

I completed a USB keyboard pass-through where a T4.1 translates the keystrokes from a one-handed gaming keyboard to enable full one-handed typing. I'm now sucked down the custom-keyboard rabbit-hole and I want one. I'd prefer to just buy a physical unit with the layout and ergonomics I want...
  21. K

How to make Teensy 4.1 'hide' from OS?

I'm using a Teensy 4.1 as a pass-through on a one-handed gaming keyboard to implement full single-handed typing and improve cursor navigation and access to It's working great and I'm getting used to it quickly, but unfortunately I'm also programming another Teensy that is connected to the same...
  22. K

Need Teensy camera advice for streaming frames over UDP

I'm using an Arducam 5642 and got burned: Although I can get each frame quickly over SPI, the camera takes forever to make the data available, so I get a frame rate of about 2 seconds. I have the UDP JPG datapath handled, I just need to find a camera that states its specs accurately. Any...
  23. K

Teensy 4.1 as HID pass-through for one-handed keyboard?

I want to be able to type efficiently with one hand. I have a left-handed gaming keyboard with extra buttons accessible to the pinky and thumb that can easily be used as SHIFT\ALT\CTRL modifier keys. I want to use my thumb and pinky for modifiers (to select character sets) and my center three...
  24. K

Blocking behavior of NativeEthernet on Teensy 4.1?

I have a use case where I need to receive camera data via SPI and re-transmit it via UDP over ethernet. I'm hitting performance issues and need to use more advanced features to improve throughput and latency. At first pass, I can't determine if any of the UDP functions are executed without...
  25. K

Need good example showing DMA+SPI imnplementation for large transfers

I have a Teensy 4.1 application where a known number of SPI reads take place sequentially. I want to ferry the data from the SPI reads to a RAM buffer implemented with the auxiliary PSRAM chips. It seems like others have DMA-based implementations for SPI reads that I could use, but I'm looking...
  26. K

Teensy 4.1 ethernet header and library issues

I got a T41 breakout PCB made that has an RJ-45 header and needed capacitor configured. I'm having several issues: 1. Without the Teensy attached, I am observing T+, T-, R+ and R- all shorted together. It's likely I have errors with the board...but I need to confirm what I should observe. In...
  27. K

Need SPI ADC part advice, and 4xSPI questions

I'm working on a design that requires each communication pin to be either input or output. This means I2C is not an option since SDA is bidirectional. All the accelerometers I've been working with have required I2C, so I need to search for new units with good library support that utilize...
  28. K

3.3V backup regulator advice

I have a project design that literally uses every single pin on the Teensy 4.1. Literally all of them: bottom side pads, ethernet, USB host and all the exposed pins. I've added external buffers powered by VUSB to drive PWM devices so the 3.3v reg on Teensy doesn't have to supply current beyond...
  29. K

Interfacing DMA with SPI save camera frames to RAM buffer

Interfacing DMA with SPI to save camera frames to RAM buffer I need to process camera frames arriving from an Arducam OV5642 via SPI. If I add both QSPI chips I can get a 16MB buffer which is large enough for to store a RAW format or a JPEG format which can then be uncompressed to a RAW file...
  30. K

Need good part for WPA access + BLE5

I'm presently using Teensy+NRF24L01. I need to add network access, so I need to change parts. I've ordered some ESP8266 units, but these are a bit old. I know there are ESP32 parts, but those are full MCUs and add too much power consumption when I've already got a Teensy on board. I'm looking...
  31. K

Best way to use native ethernet to transfer files from SD card and stream video

I have an Arducam and I want it to constantly take pictures, save them to the SD card and have a PC connected to the Teensy ethernet port poll a file server for new pictures as they are saved. I wanted to find a way to make the Teensy work as a USB drive to accomplish the same thing, but I guess...
  32. K

List of notable projects with Teensy as USB host?

What devices have people been able to interface with Teensy via the USB host port? I'm having a board made and I can have it expose the USB host pins without much trouble. This theoretically lets me add USB peripherals if people have created supporting libraries for Teensy. Specifically...
  33. K

Need RJ-45 pinout help

I'm a fairly new at PCB design and I'm building a board for a Teensy 4.1 and am going to add an RJ-45 port on board. I'm looking to use the below part. I need to match the Teensy pins to the schematic\footprint pins. I'm sure this is an easy question, but so far "RJ-45 pinout" doesn't seem to...
  34. K

Noisy buttons with Teensy 3.6

I've only used buttons with Teensy 4.1 so far. I'm using a button with a Teensy 3.6 and behavior is strange. I'm running the simple push-button-play-wave-from-SD-Card sketch that is in the audio library. If I connect a wire to ground and poke all the button pins everything works right. If I...
  35. K

Can I2C\SPI be used with a constant clock signal?

I believe hardware I2C and SPI only activate the CLK train when a call is made. Two questions: 1. Does it adversely effect the SPI\I2C protocol if the CLK pulse never stops? 2. Can the Teensy SPI libraries be configured to keep the CLK train constantly active?
  36. K

I2C\SPI over free space optical link?

I need to collect data from a remote sensor. I need to cut costs on sensors, so I'm looking for ways to remove the Teensy units from my remote sensors. I believe I can implement a three or four channel optical link using R, G, B and IR. The receivers on the sensor unit can drive the I\O pins on...
  37. K

Need easy way to get many low current outputs

I have an application where I need to run many (20+) 3.3v outputs that have low current requirements...specifically 20ma LEDs and 3.3v micro stepper motors. Due to the low current requirements, these parts can be run directly from Teensy pins. However, Teensy can't offer enough current to...
  38. K

Current capacity of GND pins

I'm making a nano-drone PCB and I need to keep the design tight. As such, its easier if I make good use of all three ground pins on the Teensy4.0. How much current can they sink safely?
  39. K

Rapid changes in I2C pins to support multiple units?

I need to build a prototype that integrates multiple USFSMAX units. I'm working through several issues. One of which is that it it operates over I2C but does not support an address change jumper, so only one of them can be active on each channel. Teensy 3.6 has 5 different pin options I2C0. Is...
  40. K

I need a Teensy-based quadcopter. Looking for active projects

I need to find a drone project with a Teensy4.x-based flight controller. I need something as ready-to-go as possible. What projects are active? My goal is close-in drone automation, so I'm looking for small models with about 20grams of lift capacity.
  41. K

Best practices upgrading from i2c_t3

I want to use the this product with a Teensy4.x: https://www.tindie.com/products/onehorse/usfsmax-module-and-carrier/ The library is built for Teensy3.x and I need to upgrade it. It seems pretty straight forward to change the calls to use Wire.xxxxx(), but it seems there is still some conflict...
  42. K

Good Philips Hue library for Teensy?

I need to upgrade a project using Teensy 4.1 to support Hue lighting. It seems many people have done this with other Arduino. I'm looking for pointers on good libraries and projects that use Teensy specifically. Any help?
  43. K

5.8ghz units that are not FPV

I'm investigating replacing my nRF24L01 link with a 5.8ghz unit so that I can use circular polarized antennas. All the units I can find are for audio\video. Are there units that work similarly to the nRF24L01 at 5.8Ghz? Are there libraries that can let me use FPV units for generic data without...
  44. K

NRF24 addressing using Teensy branch of Radiohead library

I am switching from using the RF24 library to using the nRF24 portion of the Radiohead library that Paul configured for Teensy. I did this in order to be able to use SPI1 and SPI2. However, in this library it appears that multiple addresses are not supported...ie broadcasting to a set of nodes...
  45. K

Best practices for adjusting libraries for non-default SPI channels

I need to adjust a set of libraries that use default SPI such that I can specify SPI1 or SPI2. I've seen a thread relating to best practices for this doing this but I can't find it now. Is there a good guide out there? Specifically, I need to use an RF24 library on SPI1 and SPI2. The targets...
  46. K

Using Teensy to program Cortex M0-based periferal units?

I'm researching programming an IMU board that is run by an ARM Cortex M0. I'm trying to search for examples of a Teensy being used as the programming unit, but the results all get hijacked to other topics. I'm new to programming Cortex units outside the Teensy ecosystem, so I'm not even sure if...
  47. K

Need help with bluetooth datapath to MATLAB

I need to get data from a Teensy 4.1 into MATLAB on a Windows PC via wireless. I have this ironed out on a wired connection, but our prototype requires a wireless connection to PC such that the OS can connect to it as an ordinary Bluetooth (any) device. The supporting units I've found only...
  48. K

Need a higher speed data link to MATLAB

I have been using a Teensy 4.1 to send data to MATLAB via the serial link. I have maxed out the link budget and need a new solution. Any advice on data acquisition hardware and MATLAB\OS config that can get me a higher speed datapath?
  49. K

Teensy 4x + bluetooth SD card

Has anybody ever interfaced a Teensy to a bluetooth SD card?
  50. K

T41 SD card port as periferal interface?

If the SD card port is mapped to SPI2, the port can be used for other devices...has anyone made any any shield\hat equivalents that interface via the micro-sd connector?
Back