Error compiling for board Teensy...

DickieOgden

Hi. Very new to this. Have been having great success with the Teensy LC and 3.2's. Mac OS 10.13.4. Recently purchased a Teensy 4.0 and, in trying to get it to work, was trying to update Libraries for the first time and update Arduino using the "Older Mac" instructions. Now I get this error every time I try to upload code to any of my Teensys. I deleted everything I could find both Teensy and Arduino and reinstalled using the older Mac instructions. Even tried on a different drive with the same OS that has never even had Arduino on it. Same results. Been searching the net for days to no avail.

1. Complete Source Code (or a link to the code):
Can't even upload Blink

2. Screenshot or the exact text of any error messages:
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin
Referenced from: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/../tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin
Referenced from: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/../tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

signal: abort trap
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder returned 255
Error compiling for board Teensy 4.0.

3. Which PJRC product you're using:
Teensy LC, 3.2 and 4.0
Same error for all.

4. Part numbers of any other chips or modules + links to their info
I was trying to get an Adafruit_MCP4728 to work right before this problem.

5. Wiring details - how exactly have you connected the hardware (a photo's worth 1000 words)
N/A

6. Software setup, Arduino vs C+makefile, running on Windows, Mac or Linux?Versions?
Mac OS 10.13.4

Have tried all of these with the TeensyduinoInstall.dmg...none fix the problem.
Arduino Versions Supported...

7. Any other information needed to reproduce the problem.....
Teensyloader says Reboot is OK
Port sees my Teensys just fine.

I did accidentally try installing Arduino 2 before realizing it wasn't compatible with my OS. So I deleted and reinstalled 1.x versions.

Thanks. Any advice on how to use this big scary forum correctly is welcome. My ego can take it! :')

I'm afraid we probably lost compatibility with older than Mojave (10.14) or maybe even Catalina (10.15) with the update from gcc 5.4 to gcc 11.3. The Arduino IDE still works, Teensyduino utilities all still work, Teensy Loader is fine, but the gcc toolchain to compile code doesn't seen to work with old MacOS.

Teensyduino 1.57 was the last release with the old gcc 5.4 toolchain. Files are still on the server. You need to get the URL for the download. Sorry, don't have a Mac handy to check exactly what to clicl. On my Linux machine with Firefox browser, it's right click on any link and select "Copy Link" to copy the URL to clipboard. Maybe on a single button Mac mouse or trackpad try holding the shift or command key while clicking or tapping? Once you have the URL, paste to browser address bar and before you press enter or click Go, edit the 3 digit number from "158" to "157" to download the old version.

If you use Arduino 1.8.5 (the oldest we support with the old installer), I believe everything should work all the way back to Lion (10.7).

Last edited:
It works! Thanks Paul! You rock!
FYI I'm in this old Mac OS because Reaper DAW and all of my plugins and converters and everything are super stable. Studio is running great. More time creating and less time updating. And Teensy has become a major contributiter as I seem to always have needs for things that noone else makes!

I'm afraid we probably lost compatibility with older than Mojave (10.14) or maybe even Catalina (10.15) with the update from gcc 5.4 to gcc 11.3. The Arduino IDE still works, Teensyduino utilities all still work, Teensy Loader is fine, but the gcc toolchain to compile code doesn't seen to work with old MacOS.

Teensyduino 1.57 was the last release with the old gcc 5.4 toolchain. Files are still on the server. You need to get the URL for the download. Sorry, don't have a Mac handy to check exactly what to clicl. On my Linux machine with Firefox browser, it's right click on any link and select "Copy Link" to copy the URL to clipboard. Maybe on a single button Mac mouse or trackpad try holding the shift or command key while clicking or tapping? Once you have the URL, paste to browser address bar and before you press enter or click Go, edit the 3 digit number from "158" to "157" to download the old version.

If you use Arduino 1.8.5 (the oldest we support with the old installer), I believe everything should work all the way back to Lion (10.7).
You need to get the URL for the download
Url from where? , can somebody help me , im trying to install on mac sierra 10.12.6 and cant find an answer . You talk about a web or server but dont point out wich download from where . Can you please expand on this issue?

Please do not ask the same question on multiple threads. You may believe this increases your changes for help, but the reality is it only make a bad first impression for people who would like to help. Most of us look at the latest activity page to keep up with new questions. It's easy to see your duplicate question.

Back