How do I know if i'm planning too much?

crazy-logic

Hey all - A question re the audio processing power of a teensy. How does one know how much is too much ?

eg; is it possible

use tdm1 and tdm2 for 32 in and 32 out, 32 amp blocks, and then a matrix of mixers, 352 to route each in to each out. How about adding the USB in and out and then the DAC and ADC also?

Usually it is a matter of experimentation while watching with the memory and CPU usage reporting functions.

The mixers are pretty efficient, and they have a special no-compute optimization when the gain is 1.0 (only 1 channel passing through) or 0. Teensy 4.1 can probably handle a few hundred channels. But again, during testing you would use the CPU and memory functions to check how much is really being used.

I've been looking at this too. So far, it's been very rough sizeof() observations, and looking at the free memory in RAM1 and RAM2 after objects are allocated and/or initialized. I haven't explored PSRAM usage with the audio library yet. Also, the audio library's reporting functions. I don't have the complete picture yet, but these are the methods I've been looking at. I plan to offer configuration options and basic reporting in my project so users can configure memory usage to some extent. Paul, memory usage reporting for all the different banks would be a really useful doc page. Could we help you create one? I've seen scattered info in different examples and forum posts that I always refer back to.

Back