Power problems with T4

Taemin

In my smart guitar project, I'm having some power problems with my T4, audio shield, and 0.96'' ST7735. Everything works fine when I supply power through USB, but if I supply power through a 9v battery and a 5v buck converter, the screen goes black and the audio plays a loud and constant tone. This issue seems to take the longest to occur for the first time after an upload. After that, it happens almost immediately after powering on. Sometimes I can't even get the re-upload to work so I have to reach inside the pickguard with a stick to press the button.

I suspect this happens because the peak current of the 9v battery is not enough for all three parts. I guess this makes sense because the issue started to occur once I implemented a delay and allocated a much larger memory. It also happens a lot quicker with longer delay times.

Some ways I thought would fix the problem are using two 9v batteries in parallel or four AA cells in series with a 3.3v buck converter. What are your thoughts? Or is it possible that I was completely wrong about the issue in the first place?

I just did some testing and my S355 buck converter seems to be the issue. When the power switch is off, the converter outputs precisely 5 volts. But when switched on, the converter periodically makes a slight humming sound and the voltage drops down to around 3 volts. What could be the problem?

I just did some testing and my S355 buck converter seems to be the issue. When the power switch is off, the converter outputs precisely 5 volts. But when switched on, the converter periodically makes a slight humming sound and the voltage drops down to around 3 volts. What could be the problem?
It could be the battery voltage going too low under load, it could be the current limit on your buck converter. Invest in a variable current limited power supply and do some more testing is my advice.
Gaivn.

You are asking too much from a 9V battery. Teensy 4.0 by itself draws about 100mA. 9V batterys have high internal resistance and are not designed to supply that much current.

Here is a website which shows some 9V batteries with 100mA (and higher) current draws. https://www.powerstream.com/9V-Alkaline-tests.htm

If it is easy, you can try paralleling 2 or 3 to see if it helps the situation to confim if it is in fact the battery that is the issue.

Try to stick with 5V power into the Teensy. powering with 3.3V tends to create new challenges. If you go with AA batteries, just go with 6. They will give you plent of power and enough voltage to keep your buck converter happy

I've already pointed out that _LiPo_ 9V rechargables could be a solution as they really can source several amps.

Back