How can I avoid having to press the reset button

Gibbedy

I have a teensy 3.6 in an LED cube that is a bit of a hassle to get at.
cube.jpg

I have a raspberry pi zero connected locally that I use to upload new code to the cube.

Sometimes I get the following error when uploading using teensy_loader_cli version 2.1:
"Error opening USB device: No error".
My usual sequence of operation is:

sudo stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 raw -clocal -echo icrnl
sudo teensy_loader_cli --mcu TEENSY36 -v -w -s $1

I'm not sure what goes wrong but when it doesn't work I have to access the teensy and press the button.

I read that I can use another teensy running some custom code that may get around me having to physically gain acess to the reset button but is there another electrical way we can do this?

I'll connect up some elaborate micro-servo cam setup before I have one of my precious teensies doing this.

Thanks. Gavin.

First of all it's NOT a RESET BUTTON, it's a Programming Button.

See the Pin Out Cards below followed by an explanation of the pins.
You should be able to connect something to either the Programming Pin or the Reset Pin to achieve your aim.
....it could be an ESP device that you communicate through a Web page on your phone.

z.png
z1.png

Thanks Bri. I overlooked this. (didn't look at all :( ). so does the active-low reset pin do the same as the program pushbutton? I know power cycling doesn't allow me to re-program.

Correction, a power cycle did fix it just now.. I think i have a diode/cap setup that needed a longer discharge.

Thanks Bri. I overlooked this. (didn't look at all :( ). so does the active-low reset pin do the same as the program pushbutton? I know power cycling doesn't allow me to re-program.
The pushbutton is wired to connect the reset line to GND.

Ok. So I think I will put a pushbutton from this “program” line to ground through a 1k resistor sound good? Then if things go wrong I can walk over and give it a push.

I'm confused a bit now. I guess you want to reset/reboot the Teensy, not put it in Program mode, isn't it?
If you want to reset the Teensy 3.6, then connect just a pushbutton between the Reset pin and Teensy GND.
I assume the Teensy Reset pin is pulled up to 3V3, since the card states it is an active-low signal. I don't have a Teensy 3.6 here to verify but you could measure the voltage on the Reset line yourself to check.

Paul

Occasionally when i go to upload a program it doesn't work. This happens in windows and linux and I have my theories as to why but... regardless I press the button and without having todo anything else the code is uploaded. That same functionality is what I want when this issue happens to my teensies that are installed in hard to reach places.

I'm confused too. But I think I understand there are two pads accessable. One for reset and one for program. I suppose I want to pull the program one to gnd in parallel with the pushbutton on the teensy.

Back