Search results

1. KrisKasprzak

Suggested ADC component

All, I'm looking to expand my analog read pins by using and external ADC chip. Main requirements are 8 analog inputs I2C, SPI, or even analogRead for the communication to the MCU minimum of 12 bit resolution must have Teensy library support single or differential inputs need at least 5000...
  2. KrisKasprzak

SOLVED Sorry, non-Teensy question, but I need help getting data from a web server using ESP32

All, I realize this is purely an ESP32 question, and I apologize for asking it here, but this forum is too helpful for me to go elsewhere. I have a working ESP32 can can ping the national weather service for data. I can also get stock data from yahoo. Passing a special URL and i get a JSON...
  3. KrisKasprzak

Measuring RPM using a 3144 hall effect sensor gives odd +/- error

All, I have a fairly reliable pulse counter for measuring RPM. I'm using a Teensy 4.0 and a 3144 hall effect sensor. The sensor reads 4 magnets connected to a PC cooling fan that are evenly placed around the fan (this is just a simple test apparatus). My system counts pulses and measures time...
  4. KrisKasprzak

Flash-chip database driver for the Teensy (meet TeensyDB)

For the last 2 years, I've switched from SD cards to flash chips for storing telemetry data. I wrote a what I feel is a robust database driver where data is stored as records of fields. Just like DBase III, and Microsoft access. My needs are to take measured data, save it and not be concerned if...
  5. KrisKasprzak

Electronic circuit to convert 0.8-4.2 to 0-5 VDC

I have a DC motor controller that requires a 0-5 VDC input to vary the PWM for a DC motor controller. I bought a motorcycle-style handgrip to control the controller. Unfortuntatly the handgrip is based on a 49E hall sensor and outputs 0.8 to 4.2 VDC. Meaning the controller will never shut the...
  6. KrisKasprzak

Getting temp from MPU6050 that is returned in 2's compliment

All, I'm using an MPU605 with Teensy 3.2 and I'm trying to get the temp, which is returned in 16-bit 2's compliment. I've found some explanations on converting but my conversions are way off. int16_t MPU6050::getTemperature() { I2Cdev::readBytes(devAddr...
  7. KrisKasprzak

Teensy 4.0: possible method to repair to port not recognized

All, I had a Teensy 4.0 up and running just fine. I reprogrammed it using Arduino 2.0, had Teensy 3.2 set as the board by accident. The IDE did not report the usual "wrong board" warning, but I got this scary message. The port was no long longer recognized by the IDE, however Windows 10 will...
  8. KrisKasprzak

General question regarding analogRead

All, On occasion I see the usage of the adc library in some sample code. Code such as: #include <ADC.h> #include <ADC_util.h> const int readPin = A9; // ADC0 const int readPin2 = A2; // ADC1 ADC *adc = new ADC(); // adc object; In setup adc->adc0->setAveraging(16)...
  9. KrisKasprzak

SDfat + Arduino 2.0

All, Compiling a program that compiled fine in pre Arduino 2.0 and now I'm getting errors on most programs. The latest issue involves a sketch that uses SDfat and here's the error. This error text makes no sense to me, nor can I figure out how to resolve it. Help greatly appreciated...
  10. KrisKasprzak

Creating an array of objects fails in Arduino 2.1.0

All, I've just installed the latest Arduino 2.1.0, and working code now fails. Using a teensy 3.2: error: array must be initialized with a brace-enclosed initializer 182 | Button KeyPadBtn[12](&Display); Here's my button class creator code class Button { public: Button(Adafruit_HX8357...
  11. KrisKasprzak

Teensy 4.0 lockable vs standard

All, I have no need for a lockable Teensy, so can I use the Teensy 4.0 LOCKABLE as if it were a standard unit? Meaning can I write code using Arduino IDE, upload, run, repeat? or do I have to use some special settings or process to program a lockable unit?
  12. KrisKasprzak

Keyboard and Number Pad library for ILI9341_t3 Displays.

All, If you have never needed to capture user input such as IP address, user names, filenames, and passwords, this library does it all. This easy to implement library is the perfect component for your Teensy projects with TFT LCD touchscreens (320x240 displays). The two classes include a full...
  13. KrisKasprzak

Reliable way to measure 24 VDC and have reverse current protection

All, I have a data logger that measures a batter voltage where the battery will start at 24 VDC but degrade to 21 VDC. In order to protect from accidental backward connection I have a simple diode to prevent reverse current (which would probably damage my precious Teensy). A voltage divider...
  14. KrisKasprzak

Arduino 2.0. Hmmmmmmm

All, I'm having a hard time navigating the library locations for the new Arduino 2.0 IDE, and where to put stuff. I have custom libraries for Teensy and some for Arduinos and I need to modify some of the default Arduino libs, and modify some libs for the ESP32. I'm not sure where to put Teensy...
  15. KrisKasprzak

stuck passing pointers to a method

I'm writing a library and I want the library to "always know" the value of a variable. I had this working but forgot the secret sauce. I'd like to pass a variable to a library via some method, then change the variable at will and make a call to print the variable. I'm trying to avoid having to...
  16. KrisKasprzak

Can't get this to work: LittleFS + Teensy 4.0 + 25F040C

All, I'm trying to get LittleFS working with a Teensy 4.0 and a 25F040 with no luck. I'm using Arduino IDE 1.8.13 and Teensyduino 1.57 My chip is: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/microchip-technology/SST25PF040C-40I-SN/5844622 I realize there are very specific memory chips that...
  17. KrisKasprzak

Need help passing a font into a library

All, I'm porting my menu code over to a ST7735 using the Adafruit_ST7735 library and small displays and will be for use on Teensy LC and Arduino NANO. My Library and usage work fine on a Teeny LC, I can set menu items, pass in neat fonts--life is good. However, compiling to an Arduino NANO...
  18. KrisKasprzak

ILI9341 display for the Teensy LC

I bought a few Teensy LC's for lightwork (and to avoid NANO's) but the ILI_9341_t3 driver will not work with an LC. Adafruut_ILI9341 will but is slow. Anyone know if the _t3 will get updated? Or if the _t3n or other lib is available for the LC TIA.
  19. KrisKasprzak

Teensy to control 120 VAC light bulb

All, I'm building a light bulb controller and need a Teensy to turn it on an off, the bulb is a good old fashioned 120 VAC 100W incandescent bulb. No fancy switching needed, just on for like 5 min, then off for 5 min, and repeat. I've used the mechanical relays but one froze close and ruined a...
  20. KrisKasprzak

have you ever looked at code for so long, an obvious bug evades you?

I'm writing a small library for Thermistors. You pass in the measured resistance and it spits out a temp. The arduino compiler claims my definition of an array to hold constants is defined multiple times--I don't see it in my .h .cpp, .ino files. Anything look wrong? Code looks fine to me but...
  21. KrisKasprzak

Odd request...How can i lock up a teensy 3.2?

All, My elaborate telemetry system is working like a million bucks--most of the time. Most times is works w/o any issues but on occasion it will lock up, but I have not way to test, debug or reproduce. My loop displays measured data every second, saves to SD, and a few other things. I'm...
  22. KrisKasprzak

FREE Menu Library for ILI9341 Displays

If you have ever used a TFT display and don't / can't enable touch capability, you may have needed a menu system to let users set calibration settings, parameters, colors or other "Tools | Options" type things. Writing menu code is tedious but I've decided to make my personal library available...
  23. KrisKasprzak

[posted] Motorized table saw fence

All, If you are dividing your time between building cool Teensy-based projects and woodworking, I'm guessing you have a table saw. Ever wanted to build a motorized fence controller? I just did. A few NEMA-17's with A4899 stepper drivers, and a Teensy 3.2. My controller has large fonts for...
  24. KrisKasprzak

Can a APS6404L be connected to Teensy 4.0 SPI and store data?

All, Before I begin this experiment, is it even possible to use the APS6404L (or any other SRAM chip) as data storage device for a Teensy 3.2 or Teensy 4.0? I see it can be soldered to a 4.1, but since according to the data sheet it's an SPI device, so maybe it can be used on the smaller chips...
  25. KrisKasprzak

Teensy 4.0 fails to begin() with an SD card

All, I have a board with a display and SD card and when using a Teensy 3.2 all works well (SPI display and the SD card). The SD card is on the display, but resistors replaced with 0 ohm and it works. I recompiled my code for a teensy 4.0 and the SD card fails on sd.begin(). I'm using pin 10...
  26. KrisKasprzak

MLX90640 Thermal Camera and a Teensy 4.0

As you may recall. I built a thermal camera using and 8x8 sensor and a Teensy 3.2, and while my interpolate routing to scale the 8x8 up to 70 x 70 to smooth the display, 8x8 is, well eh. Melexis offers a 32 x 24 array and after 3 months of waiting due to back order, my unit finally arrived. I...
  27. KrisKasprzak

Happy Holidays!

All, Happy holidays to my fellow Teensy friends. I thoroughly enjoy being part of this community and hope to get/give more assistance next year. Kris
  28. KrisKasprzak

Wow to write to the status window

I saw this somewhere but don't recall. I want to write to the compiler status window, anyone recall how? PS not the serial window but the pane just below the code. tia
  29. KrisKasprzak

Cannot readPixel with 3.5" TFT display, even with added tri-state buffer

All, I'm using a Teensy 3.2 and a 3.5 ILI9488 screen, and i have this display and tested the MISO line from the display and sure enough it's not tri-state. Meaning I could not get the display AND the on-board SD car working. Note, by visual inspection, it looks like I do have a MISO trace for...
  30. KrisKasprzak

Stuck figuring out how to pass an array of char to a library

All, I'm writing a small menu system library where I would like to pass in an array of chars and have that array be stored with a certain menu item--kinda hard to explain... Can anyone take a look at my pseodo code below and see if you can figure out how to pass an array of chars and have that...
  31. KrisKasprzak

Getting started Teensy 4.1 and audio shield rev B

I'm trying to get something working with a Teensy 4.1 and a rev b audio shield. I initially tried connecting per the following (taken from the pjrc site but no rev b so I used Rev D). Teensy 4.1 Audio shield 7 7 8 8 18...
  32. KrisKasprzak

TFT MISO issues continue

I have a Teensy 3.2 connected to a 3.5" TFT using SPI with ILI9488 driver. The display works fine but when running the graphicstest9488.ino program the code runs but getting data back returns nothing. I'm hoping to get MISO working so i can use my PrintScreen function (which uses ReadPixel()...
  33. KrisKasprzak

Tri-state buffer, on all MISO lines?

All, I have a 3.5" TFT display and I need to use the boards SD card, display and touch. Unfortunately I'm running into the inability to use display MISO and the SD card. The SD and the display SPI are shared but the touch is usign the UTOUCH lib and it's spi is on different pins. Normally I can...
  34. KrisKasprzak

a float = 223.98 prints 223.9799957

I'm trying to convert a float to char -- long story. goals float char 1.2 1.2 23.007 23.007 1234.1 1234.1 but float n1 = 223.98; Serial.println(n1, 7); // prints 223.9799957 and sprintf(dn, "%f", data); Serial.println(dn); // prints 223.979996 Any thoughts...
  35. KrisKasprzak

Teensy 3.2 + ESP-01 and using AJAX to update a page--stuck

OK gang, I'm close to having a Teensy 3.2 connected to a cheap ESP-01 Wifi module working where the code uses AJAX to update specific data on the web page. I actually have all this working with and ESP-8266, but i really want to use the Teensy with this esp module--long story. Lib i'm using...
  36. KrisKasprzak

Use this FlickerFree library to get smooth text printing to displays

Add flicker free display updates to your Teensy projects using virtually any display. This free library will let you draw text and numbers using non-proportional fonts and update the data without getting that nasty flicker caused by drawing fillRect() to blank out old data. Download the free...
  37. KrisKasprzak

Cartesian graphing for ILI3941_t3 projects

Add a Cartesian graph capability to your Teensy MCU projects. This library lets you plot up to 10 points and has auto screen updates when x exceeds the scale. You can also dynamically update the Y-axis should your measured values go out of bounds. Control colors, size and location. This library...
  38. KrisKasprzak

"PrintScreen" and "DrawBMP" for ILI9341_t3 displays

All, If you have ever wanted to capture a screen of a display and save it to and SD car, this free library will let you add useful functions like print screen and draw BMP to your Teensy projects. It requires a Teensy MCU and a display that uses the powerful ILI9341_t3 driver. Implementation is...
  39. KrisKasprzak

Utility to convert PowerPoint slides to ILI9341_t3 code

All, If you use ILI9341_t3 libs and common screens, you may find it tedious in writing the display screens, especially if you have lots of graphical items like boxes and text. I find it easier to prototype screens in PowerPoint where I can get the look and feel before writing code. And to...
  40. KrisKasprzak

What is the R used for in a const char definition?

All, I have working code that creates a web page and displays data via AJAX. No issues but a question? in my we page char definition there is and R character. Anyone know what it's used for? const char PAGE_MAIN[] PROGMEM = R"=====( <!DOCTYPE html> <html lang="en"...
  41. KrisKasprzak

Yet another issue I'm struggling with sending data to ESP8266 via serial line

Still fighting with these ESP units. I'm trying to send data from a teensy 3.2 to an ESP8266. From the teensy if I Serial3.Println("Teensy is better that ESP"); all is well. if i send a struct, data gets corrupted. I can get less corruption by changing baud rates, but.... Data types are the...
  42. KrisKasprzak

Super stuck with ESP-01 serial module and I'm desperate for help.

I’m trying to use my Teensy 3.2 and an ESP-01 (which is a small serial-based device) to create an access point (which I’ll call a web server) to serve a web page to various devices such as phones and PC’s. I want the Teensy to measure stuff (analogRead for example), the post the value to the web...
  43. KrisKasprzak

How to connect > 1 client to a serverusing an Adafruit WINC1500?

All, i have a WINC1500 wifi module connected to my Teensy 3.2 and using the libraries at https://github.com/arduino-libraries/WiFi101 After adding the line in setup(), WiFi.setPins(8, 7, 4, 2); code runs and I can connect my Android phone to this web server and point my phones Chrome browser...
  44. KrisKasprzak

Library for EBYTE transceivers

If you need to wirelessly communicate between different MCU's have a look at EBYTE transceivers. I've used these on several projects with great success. I also wrote a library to make usage and programming easier. implementation video https://youtu.be/hMjArKGucFA library...
  45. KrisKasprzak

Need help getting code to run on a mac

All, i'm helping a friend get an ino file running on a mac and i'm not a mac user. here's the compile error. Anyone know what I need to do? Arduino: 1.8.9 (Mac OS X), TD: 1.47, Board: "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial, 72 MHz, Faster, US English"...
  46. KrisKasprzak

3.5" display using ILI9488 will not work with XPT2048_Touchscreen

All, I just bought a large 3.5" display that works fine with the ILI9488_t3 library (using my Teensy 3.2). I'm trying to get it working with the XPT2048_Touchscreen library, the display works but not touch capability. I'm using shared SPI pins. Here's what works and doesn't work Display...
  47. KrisKasprzak

stuck writing a class that uses templates

I'm trying to expand my flicker free print function to a class where I can pass in an unknown display object. I've used templates in the past and feel it may work I'm stuck trying to figure out how to implement a template for an arguement in a class definition--assuming it can even be done...
  48. KrisKasprzak

Super Easy Christmas Eve Challenge (strcpy)

I have a an array of strings and I want top copy to another array, but I can't get strcpy to work. No compile errors, it just wont run Anyone lend me a hand? const char *Old[10] = {"Red", "Green", "Blue"}; char *New[10]; void setup() { Serial.begin(9600); while (!Serial); } void loop()...
  49. KrisKasprzak

compile options affects snprintf()--and in a bad way

All, I wrote a very helpful library that will let you print numbers but mask only the digits that have changed. My need was to update a number and not have the flicker problem with painting a box before drawing the text. It works with ints and floats. However....I'm using he snprintf to do...
  50. KrisKasprzak

Teensy 4.0 and ILI9341_t3 libs

Will the ILI9341_t3 libraries work with the new Teensy 4.0? I've not ordered my 4.0 yet, but I'm doing some pre-planning for it's arrival.
Back