Search results

1. S

Including a library after booting

Hey all So, you usually include the libraries you want at the start of your code. I have a Teensy 4.1 that you can add stuff to 'on the fly'. But, this then means the library for that added on feature isn't there. I don't want to include all the possible libraries 'just in case' as that...
  2. S

ILI9341 Touchscreen ... different names

As usual... it no worky I have an ILI9341 2.4" screen. I can get that working with the standard ILI9341 library. The touch part however is done using 4x Pins, 2 of which are analogue. My touchscreen has 4 pins (taken from the data sheet) YD (far left) YU (Far right). XL (top) XR (bottom)...
  3. S

Teensy 4.1 DIN rail system

Hello all I have been tinkering around with a DIN rail mounted 4.1 system and it is actually coming out quite well! The main CPU module has the 4.1 in it with a 36 way bus that runs the length of all the slave modules. It incorporates a 100-230v to 3.3v and 5v PSUs (with thermal fuses)...
  4. S

Two audio boards on a 4.1

Hi people Is it feasible to run 2x Teensy 4.1 audio SGTL5000 boards off the same 4.1? I know you can't 'stack' them, but is that just asking too much of the processor and with too many shared pins?
  5. S

A way to control 8x strips of RGB without using 8 pins

Hey all My 4.1 has 3 or 4 spare pins, but I now need to control 8x strips of 5M RGB leds. Can be NeoPixel, Fastled.... whatever, but I am short of pins. Any ideas? Wondered if there was any way maybe of sending the data to a remote IC and assuming that programming doesn't change...
  6. S

Changing the volume pin

Hi all Is there a way to change the volume pin on the Teensy 4.1 audio board from Pin 15 to another analogue input using software? Or, do I need to change that pin (if possible) in the library Pin 15 as the volume uses up Serial3 and I need it. Thanks
  7. S

LM1875 - Huge PSU issue

Hi all. I have a lovely 9 way DIN module here, and I planned to use it to make a stereo LM1875 amp with it. Searched around, found loads of circuits and I don't think I will have too much issue there. But the power supply has me stumped. I just cannot source anything that will fit inside a...
  8. S

Small pins on PCIE connector.... Thin PCB traces

Hi all I have a 36 Way PCIE connector that I am using to link some DIN rail modules I have designed for my project. They are very nice but I am struggling with actually linking the pins! The modules link with a small double sided, keyed link PCB. The reason the connectors are linked like...
  9. S

MCLK, BCLK, LRCLK, TX & RX - cable lengths

Hey all I have a project where the Teensy 4.1 is in one enclosure, and the audio board is going to have to live in another (along with an amplifier). The enclosure that houses the Teensy is just too small and cannot be changed now. This I believe is going to cause real issues with the...
  10. S

Dual SMD datasheet cathode identification?

Hi all Just designing a PCB and need some dual stacked leds. Want to use these, but the data sheet is useless. Which pins are the cathodes? I 'think' its the one nearest the rear sloping case, and the second one in from the other end? Dual led datasheet Why can't they just put decent...
  11. S

Reading the I2C data from this IC

Hello all Trying to make my wiring a bit tidier, and I would like to convert some pots I have to be read by the following Analogue to I2C device... https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices-Maxim-Integrated/MAX11607EUA+?qs=1THa7WoU59GzysPEpBxNKQ== I think this should work fine...
  12. S

Adding Bluetooth and WiFi to a Teensy 4.1

Thinking of adding WiFi and Bluetooth to my Teensy 4.1 project. For the WiFi I was thinking of an ESP32C3 https://thepihut.com/products/seeed-xiao-esp32c3 Any ideas for bluetooth? A combined Bluetooth and Wifi would be great.... I'll have a Google
  13. S

Module identification and Teensy 4.1 PSU

Hey all. Still designing this DIN module and a couple of questions. First: Power supply. I have a 3.3v @ 1.2A and a 5v @ 1A available to power my Teensy 4.1v. Normally I just pile the 5v onto the VIN (I know all the pins are only 3.3v). Would it be better to apply 3.3v to the Teensy instead...
  14. S

Odd sized screen - just can't find an option

Hi all I have a din rail enclosure that I need to install a touchscreen to the top of. All the PCB's are designed, so I REALLY don't want to have to start all over again with a different enclosure. There wasn't going to be a screen, so I never gave that any thought. Ideally, I would stick a...
  15. S

Advice on program construction - DMX

Hey all After 2 weeks typing and 4000+ lines, I think I need to start my Teensy code all over. I KNOW you want me to post it, but believe me... it's got so complicated, it's unfathomable. I don't want the backlash of how bad my coding is. The Teensy4.1 is driving 5x DMX Universes with the...
  16. S

Teensy 4.1 SD card CS pin

Am I correct in assuming the onboard SD card slot on a Teensy 4.1 is on pin 4? If yes... damn. Had a PCB made that uses pin 4 for something else, and now it's come to light I need to use the SD card slot. All the SPI pins are available, I just have pin 4 allocated as an I/O that I now can't...
  17. S

Adding a WIZFI360 module to a Teensy 4.1

Hi all. Been a while. I plan to add WiFi ability to my Teensy 4.1 project, and need to keep the footprint down. Found the WizFi360 modules.... not sure what they are like. https://www.wiznet.io/product-item/wizfi360/ Any recommendations on connections or other modules? I am guessing SPI...
  18. S

Making your own PCBS. The best way

Hi all I have asked in here before for UK based PCB manufacturers, but never really got an answer. I still use JLCPCB in China who are great, but longish turnaround. At work, we have started designing our own pcbs for various projects (short runs - never large quantities). What would be...
  19. S

Problems reading a bluetooth data stream

Hi all I have a simple app written in MIT App inventor 2. It's throwing out a text data stream once a second as a text file arranged as the following: Y ### ### ### \n The Y at the beginning lets me know the set of data that I am receiving (in this case, 3 sets of 3 digits). That appears...
  20. S

Hydraulic steering

Hello all I have been asked by a friend for some assistance with his hydraulic steering system. He has been building a mini digger thing (it's totally mad) and the steering is controlled by a 300mm dual action ram. Up to now, he steers it just by pressing buttons to change the direction...
  21. S

SD card on a 4.0

Am I correct in thinking I can connect an SD card socket directly to a 4.0 without any other parts? The pinout of a MicroSD I believe are: 1 NC Not used 2 CS Chip Select 3 COPI Controller-out, Peripheral-in (MOSI) 4 VDD Positive Supply 5 CLOCK Serial Clock (SCK) 6 GND Ground 7 CIPO...
  22. S

Flexcan, canbus... brain fried and confused

Hello all Looking for a new project, and thought I would try and make a canbus reading gauge for the wife's Mini. Want to know the engine temp etc and it suffers from a lack of gauges. After about 2 hrs Googling and searching in here, I am even more confused that when I started! A 3.2 has...
  23. S

Hot swapping on an I2C bus + identification

Hi all I have an I2C bus running master on a 3.2 Teensy. I want to 'hot swap' extra I2C slave PCBS onto the I2C bus. Now when I say 'hot swap', this can be done with the power off (so it isn't technically hot swapping), but if someone did do such a thing with the power on, would the I2C bus...
  24. S

Best approach for power supplies

Hello all Trying to design a base PCB for my Teensy 4.1. Needs to be 230v AC input, so my original thought was to use a couple of Vigortronix AC/DC converters such as...
  25. S

Teensy 4.1 and audio board - volume pot

Hello Simple question. I have a 4.1 and the dedicated audio adapter board. Pin 15/A1 is noted for use as an external volume pot. I don't need this. Can I simply use this pin as I/O, or do I need to do something to disable this volume feature (is possible) first? Thanks
  26. S

Level shifting

Hello all I want to jump over to Teensy 4.1's, as 3.2's appear to be impossible to find at the moment. So, I want to incorporate level shifting in my board design and I see that Sparkfun and other people use a small 3 pin device. Any idea what that part is? BS170? I understand that I can...
  27. S

Problem with RGB leds at boot

Hello all. I have some RGB code that runs on a Teesny 3.2. At boot, it randomly illuminates the RGB during setup in a colour (varies). I cannot see why. PSU is a nice dedicated 5v unit I have used many times, and it also does it off the bench supply. Any ideas? I was informed that...
  28. S

Advice regarding a Teensy OctoWS2811 adapter

Hello all I am tinkering with a project that has a couple of strips of RGB's attached to the OctoWS2811 adapter. Channels 1 and 2 which I believe are pins 2 and 14 on the Teensy. But, I have an existing project that uses the Fastled library and I would like to use that with the above board...
  29. S

Playing overlaid .wav files

Hi all. I did Google this, but drawn a blank so far. Playing with a REV.C Teensy audio board and have not worked out how to play two wav files at the same time. The only example I could find in the library was called mixer and it didn't compile (and not sure that is the correct method anyway)...
  30. S

Teensy 3.2 not responding

Hello all I have a project I built a while back with an integral Teensy 3.2, and today I went to update the software and I cannot connect to it. Windows acknowledges the USB device fine, but it will not upload. It says that the Arduino IDE cannot put the device into programming mode, so I...
  31. S

Large touchscreens

Hello all I have been waiting for Nextion screens to drop in price.... and if anything, they have gone up :confused: I need a 7" (approx) touchscreen for a Teensy 3.2 project. I have used the smaller 4.3" screens and they are fine, but this is replacing a screen in a car and needs to be a...
  32. S

Learning the correct value calculations

Vague title I know I have built many projects over the years.... I mean, LOADS. And they all work fine. I take much longer than someone who can work out the correct method immediately, but I get there in the end. Without Google, I would be lost. If I need a circuit or assistance, someone...
  33. S

IR library I don't need a degree to work out

Hello all I have a Teensy 3.2 here, and trying to get the IRremote library working. Used it before, but the latest update is now so madly complicated with 'USE_DEFAULT_FEEDBACK_LED_PIN' and 'ENABLE_LED_FEEDBACK' etc, that I just cannot get it working. No idea why the example called 'Simple...
  34. S

Loop timing problem

Hi Still working on my DMX project, but I thought a fresh thread for this question would be correct My main loop runs, samples sensors, reads and write DMX commands. All going fine. However, I would now like to add the facility to ramp my DMX values up or down over a set period of time...
  35. S

Threads... possibly going to cause issues?

Hello all I have a program that runs in a loop, and issues DMX values as required, depending on the state of 5 buttons. Pretty simple. The DMX values are set up to either switch on and off immediately to preset levels, or ramps up and down over a set period of time in seconds. These...
  36. S

Setting up an array

Hi all. I have this following sub-routine that checks for data from a PZEM mains voltage monitor. It all works fine. But, I have five of these modules on the serial bus and for the life of me, I cannot work out how to set up the required arrays so that I can simply use a single routine as I...
  37. S

Question regarding TeensyDMX.h

Hello all I have been tinkering around with a Teensy 3.2 and the TeensyDMX library. Has anyone experience of this library? My question is regarding 2 way DMX communication. I am reading conflicting reports that I need separate serial ports allocated to the send and receive channels. My...
  38. S

14+ PPM inputs?

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I am currently designing the controller for my radio controlled submarine. I am using a Teensy 3.2 (because I have one) I however, need to read the PPM signal from 14 RC servos. 2 of these channels are monitored constantly, as they adjust the planes that keep...
  39. S

Smallest wifi module?

Hello all After wading through what seems like 1000 different types/variations of ESP wifi modules, I still have not really found what I am looking for. My Teensy based project reads .TXT data off an SD card. I would like to add the capability of sending this data by wifi from my PC...
  40. S

MOCD208 opto isolator question

Hello clever folk I found an opto isolator circuit online, and have used it before in my circuits for inputting 12v to my projects (circuit attached). This circuit (according to the thread where I found the circuit), was good for an input of 5v - 24v DC However, it's not. It doesn't trigger...
  41. S

Teensy 3.2 upload issue

Hello My 'home made' pcb is assembled, all seemed fine. Its basically a Teensy 3.2 lifted and re-assembled onto a new PCB. Plugged the new board into the PC. Got the Windows sound etc I uploaded the first draft of the code. Fine.... loaded straight away after pressing Prog. Loaded...
  42. S

What to use as a host program in Windows

Hello people I have Googled, and found multiple examples of people sending data from their Teensy/Arduino to a PC over Wifi. I wish to do it the other way around, and there doesn't seem to be much information on this. The code I am sure, I can deduce from the examples in the Wifi101 library...
  43. S

Advice regarding circuit design and the bootloader

I am the first to confess.... I am new to designing my own circuits. But, I have a project that I am moving over from my Teensy 3.2 breadboard to a PCB design. The Teensy 3.2 circuit diagram here has no bootloader? (Why is the diagram missing a vital part of its actual design)...
  44. S

Designing my own PCB - assistance

Hello all I am having a go at designing my own PCB for a project. My first design uses a standard Teensy 3.2 directly mounted on top of the pcb for ease. However, this uses up a lot of real estate, especially as I am not actually using that many of the pins. I thought my second attempt would...
  45. S

Optically isolated 24v analogue input

Hello world of people cleverer than I am I am designing a project board where I can control various 'things' from inputs. outputs etc. optically isolating my inputs and outputs with 6N137's. But, I also have 6x analogue inputs. Not sure what voltage they will be covering/reading yet, but...
  46. S

Teensy 3.2 and RFID

Hello all I am playing around with RFID for the first time... struggling a little bit. Got an RC522 set up and reading correctly. Using the library MFRC522.h, and here is the read personal data code #include <SPI.h> #include <MFRC522.h> constexpr uint8_t RST_PIN = 9; // Configurable...
  47. S

Problem with Teensy 3.2, Serial1 and HC-06

Hello Still new to the world of Teensy... trying to upload a program that works on a Pro Mini, and it isn't liking the Serial1 for some reason. I am using Serial1 to talk to a Bluetooth HC-06. But, it is basically telling me that Serial1 isn't available and I cannot see why. My HC-06 TX...
  48. S

Teensy 3.2 and canbus connections

Hello all Been playing around with my new Teensy 3.2 (had it a while.... never used it). Was planning to add a MCP2515 Can-bus breakout board to it, so that I could decode the Can-bus signals from my truck (only want to read them). Then.... I notice the Can-bus pins on the Teensy itself...
Back