What FTDI cables are suitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THX1138

I'm soon to get started on a project using Teensy 3.2 and Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266. I was looking to buy an FTDI cable from AliExpress but there are people complaining that they recieved cables with a different chip than expected. Does it make a difference and how? The following codes are what I've seen so far:

FT232BM
FT232BL
FT232RQ
FT232RL

Do some cables only support limited data transfer rates?

Edit: I can answer my own question to some extent. All the variants have the same functionality. BM has lead (Pb) in it and BL doesn't; RQ and RL don't have lead in. The R series is newer and has a built in crystal (something to do with keeping time?) so circuits can be a bit smaller. I don't know anything about RQ vs RL.

More information here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT232R.htm

Last edited:
What makes you think you need an FTDI device (cable) at all? Neither the Teensy nor the Huzzah need anything other than an ordinary USB data cable for programming.

The problem with FTDI versions is that FTDI more than once dealt with the problem of counterfeits in a way that would render the counterfeits unusable but it is difficult for the consumer to know they are buying a legitimate FTDI device. You can find the history of this with web search if you need to know more.

If you have a Teensy 3.2 (and a USB cable), you can program it with File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Serial > USBtoSerial. Then connect pins 0, 1, GND and 3.3V to your Huzzah. No FTDI cable needed.

Teensys work well for ESP8266 programming. Needed control pins can be toggled - works from USB to initiate readiness - then take Teensy off USB and PC can program it.

In my github,flexiboard, theres an exampke how to program the esp. The sketch toggels the pins automatically and you can just use the programming option from the arduino menu.
All you need to do is to adjust rhe sketch to match your connections teensy vs. Esp.

I like to use FTDI cables for various targets because I keep them connected to the USB hub in my monitor. Always having a RS-485 and a serial TTL output nearby is much more handy than having to look for a Teensy, flashing the USB-to-Serial sketch on it, putting it on a breadboard so you can connect wires to it etc. Just don't buy FTDI cables from Aliexpress. Not only are they often fake, it also hurts the business of FTDI which imo is a company that deserves spending that extra euro/dollar or three.

I keep a few FTDI cables around as well, as well as a few other USB to serial cables with different chipsets. I have purchased my cables from either Sparkfun or Trossen Robotics...

The thing to remember with some of the FTDI cables are setup for 5v others are setup for 3.3v. So depending on what you are connecting to make sure you get the right one.

I sometimes use one of these cables as a way to use another of the Teensy serial ports as a debug terminal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back