Teensyduino 1.48 Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Paul:

Did the Arduino folks somehow cause a break in this "Multiple libraries were found for" code in 1.8.10??

Multiple libraries were found for "SerialFlash.h"
Used: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SerialFlash
Multiple libraries were found for "Audio.h"
Used: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Audio
Multiple libraries were found for "Wire.h"
Used: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/Wire
Multiple libraries were found for "SPI.h"
Used: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SPI
Multiple libraries were found for "SD.h"
Used: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SD

It triggers that often and only shows a single library name.

pbgbg

With USB Print Test on ManPro trashcan 12 core, 10.14.5:

Arduino serial monitor
=================
210,000 - 250,000. Mostly down the lower end.

Kernel Task : 185%
teensy_serialmon: 65%
Arduino: 37%
Window Server: 15%

cat /dev/cu.usbmodem61562001
=========================
240,000 - 250,000.

Kernel Task: 200%
Terminal : 60%

Hangs after a few secs, Kernel Task stays at 130% until cat stopped

screen /dev/cu.usbmodem61562001
============================
240,000 - 250,000.

Kernel Task: 200%
Terminal : 110%
Screen : 85%

So pretty high CPU here but the Serial monitor and screen command seem to run fine.

Edit: Looking into the hang here I knocked up some FILE* code here and get the hang, breaking into the debugger it is in __read_nocancel, interestingly continuing the debugger "fixes" the issue. Until the next time...

Edit2: Using open(), read() with O_NONBLOCK gets rid of the hang.

Last edited:
@bicycleguy - Yep it appears to crash hard...

I mucked up the Setup function to output stuff to Serial port and I get nothing.
Code:
void setup() {
  // Backlight
#if 0
  pinMode( BACKLIGHT_PIN, OUTPUT );
  analogWrite( BACKLIGHT_PIN, 1023 );
#endif
  while(!Serial && millis() < 5000) ;
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Start DemoSouce");

// Microphone
  pinMode( MIC_PIN, INPUT );
  Serial.println("Before TFT begin");
  delay(1000);
  tft.begin();
  Serial.println("After TFT begin"); Serial.flush();
  tft.setRotation( 3 );
  Serial.println("After Set Rotation"); Serial.flush();
  tft.fillScreen(ILI9341_BLACK);
  Serial.println("After fillScreen"); Serial.flush();
  delay(1000);
  // Serial
  if( DO_BENCHMARKS ) {
And as you said it does run on 1.8.9, the only mod I did there, was to add the reset pin for tft on the constructor, in this case pin 8...

@PaulStoffregen - This looks like another case where the setup is not being called. Not sure if it is hanging in some constructors code or even earlier... I may not have time until Monday or Tuesday to take a look.

Kurt

@Kurt,
Thanks, thought I was being ignored. But wait !! Another clue !!

DemoSauce.ino runs on 1.8.10 if I set optimize to "Smallest Code" !

This also makes the rest of my programs work that use the audioboard & its SD, and ILI9341_t3 together.

Also realized that a bare T4 can be used for testing this issue, the LED flickers(SCK) and the terminal stays connected means it probably works, otherwise no LED and offline.

Maybe not size related as the Teensy_Convolution_SDR works and it uses 242,064 bytes program and 430368 ram.

Last edited:
@bicycleguy - Sorry, sometimes hard for us who try to help out for the heck of it to see everything going on... As I mentioned, I don't have much time this weekend...

Also this looks like a long list of things for @PaulStoffregen to look at, as it appears to be another screwy compile or link or load or??? That is if you turn on debug printing.
(printf.h un-comment the #define PRINT_DEBUG_STUFF

Then rebuilt... Not for sure that was enough or not, but I then also uncommented some comments in startup.c and hooked up debug cable to Serial4, and I got all of the debug output and started getting info out over USB... And then hooked up display again and it was working...

@KurtE @bicycleguy

Well here is something else. I just tried demosauce with ILI9341_t3n and it crashes the same way. This is reminds me of the problem we were having with uncanny eyes as well.

Can confirm using smallest code also seems to fix the problem using the ILI9341_t3n library as well. Other optimizations hang the code as well. Good catch @bicycleguy

UPDATE: Same occurs with the ILI9488_t3 display

Last edited:
@bicycleguy - Sorry, sometimes hard for us who try to help out for the heck of it to see everything going on... As I mentioned, I don't have much time this weekend...

Also this looks like a long list of things for @PaulStoffregen to look at, as it appears to be another screwy compile or link or load or??? That is if you turn on debug printing.
(printf.h un-comment the #define PRINT_DEBUG_STUFF

Then rebuilt... Not for sure that was enough or not, but I then also uncommented some comments in startup.c and hooked up debug cable to Serial4, and I got all of the debug output and started getting info out over USB... And then hooked up display again and it was working...

@KurtE
Tried to just un-comment the #define PRINT_DEBUG_STUFF and recompiled but demosauce still hung the T4. Maybe something else you un-commented?

Some of the ones in startup.c like all the ones up to before and after call to setup

Sorry I am not at my computer so can not give much more info

Edit also remember I added prints in the sketch as I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Commenting out the differences in startup.c between 1.8.9 and 1.8.10 seems to fix the problem.
Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.12.12 AM.jpg
No idea what it's meant to do or any other effects.

@paul did that change 8 days ago to fix some issue of >2 interval timers...

Not sure of its implications

Commenting out the differences in startup.c between 1.8.9 and 1.8.10 seems to fix the problem.
View attachment 17665
No idea what it's meant to do or any other effects.

here is discussion associated with PIT changes in startup.c
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57360-Teensy4-IntervalTimer-Channels-Problem

you could try adding line to turn PIT off
Code:
  CCM_CCGR1 |= CCM_CCGR1_PIT(CCM_CCGR_ON);
  PIT_TCTRL0 = 0;
  PIT_TCTRL1 = 0;
  PIT_TCTRL2 = 0;
  PIT_TCTRL3 = 0;
  CCM_CCGR1 &= ~CCM_CCGR1_PIT(CCM_CCGR_ON);   //optional

Interesting --- just commenting out those lines and it still hanging on my T4. I am using pins 9-13, don't have anything else attached.

EDIT: went back to 1.8.9 IDE with 1.47b5 and its still doing the same thing. 1,8.8 with TD1.45 same thing with the ILI9431_t3 lib. Guess maybe try t3n.

Last edited:
OK, i'm not sure i know how you guys are testing, but here is what i did on my linux64 box. installed 1.8.10 and 1.48-beta1, and ran a T4 intervaltimer sketch to verify i could get all 4 channels. OK. Then ran example DemoSauce from ILI9341_t3 lib ... production T4 froze (no ttyACM0), had to hit program button to load a new sketch.

Went to startup.c and ifdef'd out newly added PIT lines. confirmed intervaltimer now only had 2 channels. DemoSauce now worked. (it printed something on monitor "TwistyText" ... -- i have nothing connectd to T4). I then re-enabled PIT lines in startup.c BUT commented out PIT_MCR =0; and now intervaltimer had 4 channels AND DemoSauce was working. Can someone else try that. PIT_MCR=0 actually enables PIT timer. That wasn't in my suggested fix discussed in
Paul added that in his core update. Setting PIT_MCR to 0 actually enables the PIT timer, which I don't think you want to do. POR reset value is 2 for PIT_MCR.

can someone else try commenting out PIT_MCR = 0;

Not sure why that should make a difference -- i think ROM bootloader had PIT configured as free-running 64-bit timer, but i'm only guessin.

OK, i'm not sure i know how you guys are testing, but here is what i did on my linux64 box. installed 1.8.10 and 1.48-beta1, and ran a T4 intervaltimer sketch to verify i could get all 4 channels. OK. Then ran example DemoSauce from ILI9341_t3 lib ... production T4 froze (no ttyACM0), had to hit program button to load a new sketch.

Went to startup.c and ifdef'd out newly added PIT lines. confirmed intervaltimer now only had 2 channels. DemoSauce now worked. (it printed something on monitor "TwistyText" ... -- i have nothing connectd to T4). I then re-enabled PIT lines in startup.c BUT commented out PIT_MCR =0; and now intervaltimer had 4 channels AND DemoSauce was working. Can someone else try that. PIT_MCR=0 actually enables PIT timer. That wasn't in my suggested fix discussed in
Paul added that in his core update. Setting PIT_MCR to 0 actually enables the PIT timer, which I don't think you want to do. POR reset value is 2 for PIT_MCR.

can someone else try commenting out PIT_MCR = 0;

Not sure why that should make a difference -- i think ROM bootloader had PIT configured as free-running 64-bit timer, but i'm only guessin.

@manitou

I just reinstalled TD1.48beta1 and the ILI9341_t3 library. I then commented out PIT_MCR = 0; and it worked without issue. So the fix is exactly as you described to turn off the timer.

I've been following this and thread since I was hoping I had a similar problem. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, yet. When I set up the interval timer, I am only getting it to fire once. The code I am trying to use works on T3.2, T3.5, and T3.6 with minor timing tweaks between them, but not yet on the T4. Maybe someone in this thread can help? I can also start a new thread if needed.

My problem occurred when I tried to update my Commodore 6581 (SID) player to use a T4.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/42587-David-s-MOS6581-SID-network-player-(Teensy-3-2)?highlight=SID

I need a 1MHz clock and a timed chip select that lines up with the clock's rising edge and doesn't "walk" away from the clock between SID writes. That looks like the following:

IMG_2569.JPG

The code needed to do this on previous Teensys is this:

Code:
#define CLK 4
#define CS1 3
#define NOP __asm__("nop\n\t")

volatile long timetonext;
volatile byte dataavailable;
volatile unsigned long cycles_per_us;

static inline void delayCycles(uint32_t cycles)
{ // MIN return in 7 cycles NEAR 20 cycles it gives wait +/- 2 cycles - with sketch timing overhead
  uint32_t begin = ARM_DWT_CYCCNT - 12; // Overhead Factor for execution
  while (ARM_DWT_CYCCNT - begin < cycles) ; // wait
}

IntervalTimer myTimer;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  pinMode(CLK, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(CLK, HIGH);
  pinMode(CS1, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(CS1, HIGH);

analogWriteFrequency(CLK, 1000000);               // set clock frequency to 1MHz
  analogWriteResolution(5);                         // PWM resolution
  analogWrite(CLK, 15);                             // PWM dutycycle

myTimer.begin(DATA, 10);
  //myTimer.priority(64);
  cycles_per_us = F_BUS_ACTUAL / 1000000;
}

FASTRUN void loop() {                               
   while (1) {
    timetonext = 3;                                  //Change this to vary the number of CLK pulses between CS1 pulses                                   
    dataavailable = 1;
    PIT_LDVAL0 = timetonext * cycles_per_us - 1;     // reset the PIT timer in myTimer to the delay until the next write
    while (dataavailable == 1) {}                    // wait for myTimer to fire interrupt
  }
}

FASTRUN void DATA(void)
{
  if (dataavailable >= 1) {

digitalWriteFast(CS1, LOW);

// 200ns Pulse on Teensy 4 @ 600MHz
    delayCycles(45);

dataavailable = 0;
    digitalWriteFast(CS1, HIGH);
  }
}

The variable "timetonext" is the number of microseconds to wait before firing the interrupt and can be any number between 0 and 65535. I used PIT_LDVAL0 to change the start of the timer on the fly and it worked very well. Also, don't worry if the chip select doesn't line up with the clock in the example since that can be fixed with different amounts of delayCycles either in the interrupt routine or the main routine.

Any ideas?

David

The variable "timetonext" is the number of microseconds to wait before firing the interrupt and can be any number between 0 and 65535. I used PIT_LDVAL0 to change the start of the timer on the fly and it worked very well. Also, don't worry if the chip select doesn't line up with the clock in the example since that can be fixed with different amounts of delayCycles either in the interrupt routine or the main routine.

Any ideas?

David

you probably should start a new thread, BUT one problem you have is using F_BUS_ACTUAL. The PIT timer for IntervalTimer runs at 24MHz, not F_BUS_ACTUAL

EDIT:
also if you are not running 1.48-beta1, the first PIT channel you get for IntervalTimer is channel 2, so you need to use PIT_LDVAL2

Last edited:
you probably should start a new thread, BUT one problem you have is using F_BUS_ACTUAL. The PIT timer for IntervalTimer runs at 24MHz, not F_BUS_ACTUAL

I will make note of that. I was using F_BUS for the previous Teensys, so I just updated when I got an error at compile time.

EDIT:
also if you are not running 1.48-beta1, the first PIT channel you get for IntervalTimer is channel 2, so you need to use PIT_LDVAL2

I am using 1.48-beta1 at the moment. I got the disconnect/lockup behavior in 1.48. That was why I wondered if I should post in this thread or not. Can a mod move these to a new thread?

David

@manitou

I just reinstalled TD1.48beta1 and the ILI9341_t3 library. I then commented out PIT_MCR = 0; and it worked without issue. So the fix is exactly as you described to turn off the timer.

Another observation: If i move the new PIT init code in startup.c to after the RTC initialization, the DemoSauce example works even with PIT_MCR = 0. I also modified startup.c in 1.8.8 with 1.47. The results were the same -- either remove PIT_MCR = 0, or move the PIT init code to after the RTC init sequence, e.g. after SNVS_HPCR |= SNVS_HPCR_RTC_EN | SNVS_HPCR_HP_TS;

strange

Another observation: If i move the new PIT init code in startup.c to after the RTC initialization, the DemoSauce example works even with PIT_MCR = 0. I also modified startup.c in 1.8.8 with 1.47. The results were the same -- either remove PIT_MCR = 0, or move the PIT init code to after the RTC init sequence, e.g. after SNVS_HPCR |= SNVS_HPCR_RTC_EN | SNVS_HPCR_HP_TS;

strange

I just gave it a try and works even if you move it right after setArmClock and before the SNVS code block. Maybe not so strange to set the sys clocks first then set the PIT?

I just gave it a try and works even if you move it right after setArmClock and before the SNVS code block. Maybe not so strange to set the sys clocks first then set the PIT?

Having the clocks going first makes sense - @mjs513 - can you post the complete few lines to put after setArmClock()? I keep seeing ref to a line I don't see in what was posted … don't see a pull request for the code

Having the clocks going first makes sense - @mjs513 - can you post the complete few lines to put after setArmClock()? I keep seeing ref to a line I don't see in what was posted … don't see a pull request for the code

This is the entire function:
Code:
void ResetHandler(void)
{
	unsigned int i;

#if defined(__IMXRT1062__)
	IOMUXC_GPR_GPR17 = (uint32_t)&_flexram_bank_config;
	IOMUXC_GPR_GPR16 = 0x00000007;
	IOMUXC_GPR_GPR14 = 0x00AA0000;
	__asm__ volatile("mov sp, %0" : : "r" ((uint32_t)&_estack) : );
#endif
	// pin 13 - if startup crashes, use this to turn on the LED early for troubleshooting
	//IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_GPIO_B0_03 = 5;
	//IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_GPIO_B0_03 = IOMUXC_PAD_DSE(7);
	//IOMUXC_GPR_GPR27 = 0xFFFFFFFF;
	//GPIO7_GDIR |= (1<<3);
	//GPIO7_DR_SET = (1<<3); // digitalWrite(13, HIGH);

// Initialize memory
	memory_copy(&_stext, &_stextload, &_etext);
	memory_copy(&_sdata, &_sdataload, &_edata);
	memory_clear(&_sbss, &_ebss);

// enable FPU
	SCB_CPACR = 0x00F00000;

// set up blank interrupt & exception vector table
	for (i=0; i < NVIC_NUM_INTERRUPTS + 16; i++) _VectorsRam[i] = &unused_interrupt_vector;
	for (i=0; i < NVIC_NUM_INTERRUPTS; i++) NVIC_SET_PRIORITY(i, 128);
	SCB_VTOR = (uint32_t)_VectorsRam;

reset_PFD();

// Configure clocks
	// TODO: make sure all affected peripherals are turned off!
	// PIT & GPT timers to run from 24 MHz clock (independent of CPU speed)
	CCM_CSCMR1 = (CCM_CSCMR1 & ~CCM_CSCMR1_PERCLK_PODF(0x3F)) | CCM_CSCMR1_PERCLK_CLK_SEL;
	// UARTs run from 24 MHz clock (works if PLL3 off or bypassed)
	CCM_CSCDR1 = (CCM_CSCDR1 & ~CCM_CSCDR1_UART_CLK_PODF(0x3F)) | CCM_CSCDR1_UART_CLK_SEL;

#if defined(__IMXRT1062__)
	// Use fast GPIO6, GPIO7, GPIO8, GPIO9
	IOMUXC_GPR_GPR26 = 0xFFFFFFFF;
	IOMUXC_GPR_GPR27 = 0xFFFFFFFF;
	IOMUXC_GPR_GPR28 = 0xFFFFFFFF;
	IOMUXC_GPR_GPR29 = 0xFFFFFFFF;
#endif

// must enable PRINT_DEBUG_STUFF in debug/print.h
	printf_debug_init();
	printf("\n***********IMXRT Startup**********\n");
	printf("test %d %d %d\n", 1, -1234567, 3);

configure_cache();
	configure_systick();
	usb_pll_start();	
	reset_PFD(); //TODO: is this really needed?

set_arm_clock(600000000);
	//set_arm_clock(984000000); Ludicrous Speed

[COLOR="#FF0000"]	// Undo PIT timer usage by ROM startup
	CCM_CCGR1 |= CCM_CCGR1_PIT(CCM_CCGR_ON);
	PIT_MCR = 0;
	PIT_TCTRL0 = 0;
	PIT_TCTRL1 = 0;
	PIT_TCTRL2 = 0;
	PIT_TCTRL3 = 0;[/COLOR]

// initialize RTC
	if (!(SNVS_LPCR & SNVS_LPCR_SRTC_ENV)) {
		// if SRTC isn't running, start it with default Jan 1, 2019