xenForo Improvements

Some forums have the ability to mark a thread as solved, which at times can be nice.
Not sure if that ability is available with this forum provider and if it might be useful or not.

One feature I sort of miss from the old forum, was the ability to see who has read or visited the thread, and then the ability to hover your mouse over a name and see the last time a person visited the thread.

As a side note: not sure of us "Senior Member+" means anything anymore other than we are getting older :LOL:

Any chance of enabling images and attachments within Conversations? I much prefer to do most discussion on a thread where everyone can benefit, but just occasionally it's appropriate to keep things 1:1

Any chance of enabling images and attachments within Conversations? I much prefer to do most discussion on a thread where everyone can benefit, but just occasionally it's appropriate to keep things 1:1
Seems to have been working ,,, just sent you a PM with image and a sketch?

This is what I see in this thread:
1709634036961.png

And this is from our Conversation:
1709634095484.png

No "Drop image" or "Attach files" options. Maybe I need to be a Senior member+?

This is what I see in this thread:
No "Drop image" or "Attach files" options. Maybe I need to be a Senior member+?
I can confirm that the latter is the case for me as well.
Interesting - perhaps that is something unique to Sr+ - AddOn's not the same as the old forum - perhaps that is one.
@BriComp - I'll add you to PM noted above to see if different?
PM conversation for SDRAM on DevBoard seems to allow drag and drop inclusion.
1709658598622.png

Speaking as a well-known member in the devboard conversation (or at least one of them) where defragster has included images, I see no such drag+drop option to include images, only the URL field.

Okay confirmed - as a Sr+ drag and drop works for @defragster - mistakenly thought others had dropped too - where @mjs513 and @KurtE are also Sr+ and they may have managed as well on that PM thread.

Doing the SDRAM @Dogbone06 has also been on TEAMS with me and shared images there which may have merged with recall - combined with most on the big public thread.

On old forum Sr+ got double sized PM storage - perhaps that merged into xenforo permission for attachments. PM storage was limited on old forum to keep server storage down - so limiting attachments in PM would keep the seemingly unlimited PM space of xenforo from compounding.

As @KurtE noted in p#54 above - other 'mod' permissions that seemed helpful on the old forum have not followed for Sr+ on xenforo as it is more secure.

So…
…for more of us?!

I'm currently working on 2 software projects, and I have *many* more waiting for my attention. Some are your audio library code, like the event-based file playing and PSRAM-based delay. My goal is to prioritize software development right now, in hopes of eventually catching up.

So I'm not eager to dive into forum settings unless we have an urgent problem. But if you can find the specific setting in this XenForo manual, I'll take a quick look. Please understand if it's not immediately clear or possibly impacts other forum stuff, I don't have a lot of appetite for risking changes that could potentially turn into a time-sink.

But the good news is this new server has much more disk space than the old one (with vBulletin 4) that crashed with catostrophic hardware failure last year. Right now we're sitting at 7% disk used. The daily backup process we use also seems to be running pretty smoothly and can probably handle more data.

Last edited:
Not an urgent problem at all, no worries. I just repeated myself as we seemed to have perhaps gone a bit OT!

I did take a look at the manual but it doesn't even mention Conversations that I can see, though there do seem to be mechanisms for "promotion" of users and granting permissions, so it's possibly buried in there along with a "this can be different for threads and conversations" option. Back burner stuff for sure: if push comes to shove one can always exchange personal email addresses via a conversation.

Yes, that's my usual forum settings experience too. Some settings are simple and clear, but a lot of this stuff takes quite a bit of learning and experimenting to figure out.

Back