IC-Socket for the Teeny 4.0

Stephen_Ge

Good day everyone,

I'm currently working on a redesign of my PCB with my Teensy 4.0 on it.
At the moment I solder all the pins of my Teensy directly to the PCB.

But now I want to change the PCB so I only have to plug in the teensie in a socket.
Sadly I can't use female header thanks to the space in my case.

Does one of you know a fitting ic-socket for the Teensy 4.0(with pins) ?

Thanks a lot.
They are perfect!

But do you know there height ?
Sadly I only got like 6mm space between the board and the back wall of the case.

Last edited:
You could use one of these and turned pin headers like this.
28 pin Socket.pngTurned Pin Header.png

The lowest profile sockets that I have been able to find are 4.6mm High, so together with the amount of plastic left from the pin header soldered onto the T4.0 they will still be too high.

I measure the underside of the Teensy to the plastic on the underside pin headers to be 6.68mm.
So no chance, even before looking for low profile sockets, that it will fit in 6mm height,

Or when you say 6mm height do you mean from the top of the Teensy to the case or from the top of your PCB to the case?

Last edited:
Those IC sockets are horrible and usually won't fit anything except ICs with perfectly straight legs. They definitely won't accept pins.

They WILL accept turned pins from Turned Pin Headers.
Atleast they have done for me in the past, though I have not done it for a few years.

The lowest profile sockets that I have been able to find are 4.6mm High, so together with the amount of plastic left from the pin header soldered onto the T4.0 they will still be too high.
It should be possible to (carefully) pull off the black plastic from the pins at the Teensy to save this space of ~ 3mm.

The underside of the Teensy to the Top of the USB socket is 4.3mm. So you will have 1.7mm to achieve a socket if you remove the plastic from the headers underneath the Teensy.

You could have a Hole in your PCB and mount the Teensy 4.0 up from the bottom through the PCB.
Teensy4 with Peculiar PCB.jpg
Of course this would need the header pins to be removed and replaced with some coming up from the bottom.

I don't know what space you have underneath your PCB, that would allow (or Not) such a scheme to be achieved.

More information on your space allocation and potential use might allow us to make more (or better) suggestions as a solution for you.

Sadly we order the Teensy 4.0. with the pins soldered .

PJRC only solders the normal square pins. We can't offer other types, because the contract manufacturer that actually does the soldering has special tooling built specifically for holding those pins, and we have custom test fixtures which mate with those pins to verify all pins are soldered and none are shorted.

ProtoSupplies offers custom soldering that we just can't. I can't say whether they could offer the round pins. You'd need to contact Ken at ProtoSupplies.

Another idea, which may or may not be feasible for your PCB (or budget) is these essentially zero profile sockets where the entire socket fits into the hole on your PCB.

https://connectorsupplier.com/new-mill-max-receptacle-offers-zero-profile-and-dual-entry/

Mill-Max-receptacle.gif

Good day everyone,

thanks a lot for all the great suggestions.
Will definitely change the pcb in the future.
But in the first step i told my colleagues to alter the case and make it bigger.

Thanks a lot to everyone for the great input.

Back